So lap dancing is not ballet?

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 11:40 am
Quote:
"In our view, there can be no serious question that - at a bare minimum - petitioner failed to meet its burden of establishing that the private dances offered at its club were choreographed performances,"

Justice John Egan Jr.

A court this week ruled against a strip club who claimed their services being "dramatic or musical arts performances" were exempt from sales tax. The ruling was based on the fact that the dancers have no formal dance training, often learning from videos or other dancers. The legal case for the club included a sociologist who testified that these dances were choreographed, skilled and culturally significant.

The ruling will be appealed. The lawyer said "'This is a free speech issue. The state doesn’t get to be dance critic'. I tend to agree. If a ballet has dancers without formal training will it also be strip of its tax exemption?

Of course, the real solution is "Max's School of Fine Lap Dance" now accepting admissions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,209 • Replies: 5
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 12:11 pm
@maxdancona,
Mr. Green Twisted Evil
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 12:30 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Of course, the real solution is "Max's School of Fine Lap Dance" now accepting admissions.

Just Tweet some pictures from your class to a few underage boys, I'm sure applicants will flock to you.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 01:11 pm

If I had been the judge,
I 'd have applied a laissez faire filosofy to free speech.
Maybe the judge wants to make sure that the funds for payment
of his salary r optimized.

David
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 04:43 pm
I believe can-can was a bawdy dance in French saloons with dancers wearing no panties. Twisted Evil Wink Mr. Green
0 Replies

chrisbeeson

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Good article.

I will note that I just worked with a Ballet Company and during their training they did in fact...get instructions from other dancers, and they did watch video tapes of other performances.

Furthermore, are strip clubs really an issue anymore? Seriously, we have a pretty big unemployement percentage in this country, we should be praising them for getting a job and not living off a government dole.
0 Replies