Science finds Nicotine Enormously Helpful to Humans

BDV

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 06:50 pm
@BillRM,
Nonsense!!! Base your replies on facts not one worded defeatist arguments that are more applicable to spoilt teenagers rather than adults. The figures I stated are FACTS not hysterical one worded answers based on cheap tabloid journalism.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 08:11 pm
Quote:
Oh just to be clear nicotine all by itself no matter how you get it in your body is harmful.

I'm no advocate of smoking but this comment is simply untrue.

Quote:

....However, medical researchers have begun to show interest in one of the most reviled components of cigarettes -- nicotine. And they're interested in this potent, powerfully addictive substance for its health benefits.....

....Over the past decade, new research has taught us more about how nicotine affects the brain and the body. Some of it is good news -- for example, a lower incidence of Alzheimer's disease in smokers. Research has pointed to a compound called acetylcholine as the reason. Nicotine is structurally similar to acetylcholine, a naturally-occurring compound that serves as a neurotransmitter. Nicotine binds to nerve receptors and makes nerve cells fire more frequently.....

n 2000, a study performed at Stanford revealed surprising results about nicotine's effects on blood vessels. Contrary to popular opinion, the study showed that nicotine actually boosts the growth of new blood vessels. The discovery may lead to new treatments for diabetes. Many people with severe diabetes experience poor circulation, which can lead to gangrene and ultimately, limb amputation.....

In 2006, Duke scientists found that people with depression who were treated with nicotine patches reported a decrease in their depressive feelings. The results were perhaps not surprising for a drug associated with imparting a "buzz." However, the research also showed a direct link between nicotine and an increase in the release of dopamine and serotonin, two vital neurotransmitters. A lack of dopamine or serotonin is a common cause of depression. ....

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/drugs-alcohol/nicotine-health-benefits.htm
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 09:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
Here are the real facts from the CDC that anyone who decided to be a smoker should know.

Hawkeye and his bullshit title on this thread is a shameful lack of judgment and honestly on the price of exercising your right to smoke.

Smokers should at least not lied to themselves that there is any real world health benefits from smoking as this is not the 1950s where tobacco companies pay for studies that they was well aware of was false.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/effects_cig_smoking/

Health Effects Fact Sheets
Overview
Smoking and Death
Smoking and Increased Health Risks
Smoking and Cardiovascular Disease
Smoking and Respiratory Disease
Smoking and Cancer
Smoking and Other Health Effects
References
For Further Information
Overview
Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body. Smoking causes many diseases and reduces the health of smokers in general.1

Smoking and Death
Smoking causes death.

•The adverse health effects from cigarette smoking account for an estimated 443,000 deaths, or nearly one of every five deaths, each year in the United States.2,3
More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.2,4
•Smoking causes an estimated 90% of all lung cancer deaths in men and 80% of all lung cancer deaths in women.1
•An estimated 90% of all deaths from chronic obstructive lung disease are caused by smoking.1
Smoking and Increased Health Risks
Compared with nonsmokers, smoking is estimated to increase the risk of—

•coronary heart disease by 2 to 4 times,1,5
•stroke by 2 to 4 times,1,6
•men developing lung cancer by 23 times,1
•women developing lung cancer by 13 times,1 and
•dying from chronic obstructive lung diseases (such as chronic bronchitis and emphysema) by 12 to 13 times.1
Smoking and Cardiovascular Disease
•Smoking causes coronary heart disease, the leading cause of death in the United States.1
•Cigarette smoking causes reduced circulation by narrowing the blood vessels (arteries) and puts smokers at risk of developing peripheral vascular disease (i.e., obstruction of the large arteries in the arms and legs that can cause a range of problems from pain to tissue loss or gangrene).1,7
•Smoking causes abdominal aortic aneurysm (i.e., a swelling or weakening of the main artery of the body—the aorta—where it runs through the abdomen).1
Smoking and Respiratory Disease
•Smoking causes lung cancer.1,2
•Smoking causes lung diseases (e.g., emphysema, bronchitis, chronic airway obstruction) by damaging the airways and alveoli (i.e., small air sacs) of the lungs.1,2
Smoking and Cancer
Smoking causes the following cancers:1

•Acute myeloid leukemia
•Bladder cancer
•Cancer of the cervix
•Cancer of the esophagus
•Kidney cancer
•Cancer of the larynx (voice box)
•Lung cancer
•Cancer of the oral cavity (mouth)
•Cancer of the pharynx (throat)
•Stomach cancer
•Cancer of the uterus
Smoking and Other Health Effects
Smoking has many adverse reproductive and early childhood effects, including increased risk for—

•infertility,
•preterm delivery,
•stillbirth,
•low birth weight, and
•sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).1,8

Smoking is associated with the following adverse health effects:8

•Postmenopausal women who smoke have lower bone density than women who never smoked.
•Women who smoke have an increased risk for hip fracture than women who never smoked.
References
1.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 2004 [accessed 2011 Mar 11].
2.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Annual Smoking-Attributable Mortality, Years of Potential Life Lost, and Productivity Losses—United States, 2000–2004. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2008;57(45):1226–8 [accessed 2011 Mar 11].
3.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Health, United States. Hyattsville (MD): Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. [accessed 2011 Mar 11].
4.Mokdad AH, Marks JS, Stroup DF, Gerberding JL. Actual Causes of Death in the United States. JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association 2004;291(10):1238–45 [cited 2011 Mar 11].
5.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Reducing the Health Consequences of Smoking: 25 Years of Progress. A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville (MD): U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 1989 [accessed 2011 Mar 11].
6.Ockene IS, Miller NH. Cigarette Smoking, Cardiovascular Disease, and Stroke: A Statement for Healthcare Professionals from the American Heart Association. Circulation 1997;96(9):3243–7 [cited 2011 Mar 11].
7.Institute of Medicine. Secondhand Smoke Exposure and Cardiovascular Effects: Making Sense of the Evidence. (PDF–747 KB) Washington: National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine, 2009 [accessed 2011 Mar 11].
8.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Women and Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville (MD): U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 12:18 am
The thing is, when you smoke near me, you also increase MY odds of developing cancer, heart disease, COPD, or asthma. I don't recall giving you my permission to imperil my health because of your voluntary addiction.

I have no problem with your smoking if you're so far away from me it has no measurable effect. Running the gantlet of smokers who cluster outside large buildings and produce the smog you have to go through to get inside doesn't count as far enough away. The Mojave Desert would be okay. Oh, unless you smoke cigars. The only place cigar smokers should be allowed to smoke is Antarctica. Outdoors. In their shirtsleeves. With the minimum time for a smoke break fixed at a half hour, to let the reek thoroughly diffuse.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 12:56 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
The thing is, when you smoke near me, you also increase MY odds of developing cancer, heart disease, COPD, or asthma. I don't recall giving you my permission to imperil my health because of your voluntary addiction.
Then stay home...problem solved.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 01:01 am
Doesn't work that way. You're the public nuisance, not me.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 01:06 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Here are the real facts from the CDC that anyone who decided to be a smoker should know.
It is all quesstimate, and we know how badly science has been corrupted by both the morality police and money, so I rather go with something less prone to fudging. I would like to see better figure than we have for the average age of death of current smokers, former smokers, and never smokers, that would pretty much nail down the average number of years given up for smoking, and then we could decide if we want to make the trade.

Another thing that I find fascinating is that we are developing a good science indication that what really kills is smoking into old age, that those who give it up early enough dont have much potential life lost at all. I would like to see this developed more, it could be that we can enjoy smoking for 30 years, then give it up, and be almost as fine as the never smoked.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 01:09 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Doesn't work that way. You're the public nuisance, not me.
Could be, but then it could be that you are an uptight hypochondriac who should suck it up and drive on before the storm troopers come around and decide to take away from you the stuff that makes you happy because it offends somebody or another.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 01:29 am
I see no reaslon to "suck it up" when you're doing something that the vast majority of people in this country find unpleasant, injurious to their health, and invasive of their space. It has been often claimed that one of the basic founding rights of this country is the right to be let alone. If you let me and my lungs alone, I have no problem with you. Since you don't, I do. Why don't you "suck it up"?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 01:42 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
I see no reaslon to "suck it up" when you're doing something that the vast majority of people in this country find unpleasant, injurious to their health, and invasive of their space
Is second hand smoke injurious to you? I am not convinced

Quote:
o the sanctimonious superstition that there can be no smoke without death. Reputable scientists admit this. On Desert Island Discs in 2001, Sir Richard Doll, the man who proved the incontrovertible causal link between active smoking and lung cancer, said: "The effect of other people smoking in my presence is so small it doesn't worry me."

He was right not to fret. One of the largest studies of the health consequences of secondary smoking was published in the British Medical Journal in 2003. It tracked the health of 118,000 Californians over four decades in a rigorous attempt to identify a causal relationship between environmental tobacco smoke (the scientific term for secondary smoke) and premature death. It concluded: "The results do not support a causal relationship between ETS and tobacco-related mortality."

That caused a nasty row. Anti-smoking campaigners condemned the research as "biased" and "unreliable". The anti-smoking charity Action on Smoking and Health (Ash) declared. "This could be very damaging as it will be used by industry lobbyists to argue against laws to ban smoking in public places and workplaces." And Ash was not alone in being concerned about the threat posed to its ambitions by scientific honesty. The venerable BMJ found itself under attack from all sides.

Publication provoked a barrage of condemnation in which the then BMJ editor Dr Richard Smith was accused of every failing from naivety to active promotion of evil. His accusers demanded that he withdraw the article. To his credit, Smith refused, pointing out that the BMJ exists to publish science not polemic, and that the American study was proper, peer-reviewed science. A robust and persuasive anti-smoker, he replied that although the BMJ was "passionately anti-tobacco" it was not "anti-science". He went on to explain that "the question [of whether passive smoking kills] has not been definitively answered."

Doctors and scientists who make such statements come under extraordinary pressure to withdraw them. Three years later, Dr Smith appeared to be satisfied that passive smoking does kill. Doll was persuaded to emphasise that his lack of concern about secondary smoking was a purely personal perspective. The tragedy, for those who care about truth, reason and scientific method, is that it was not. Profound scepticism about the claim that secondary smoking kills is the only rationally tenable position. Look beyond the lazy political and media consensus that simply assumes that because smoking kills secondary smoking must as well, and the evidence is overwhelming.

When I interviewed her in 2004, Amanda Sandford of Ash acknowledged unintentionally that much secondary smoking science is unscientific. She said: "A lot of the studies that have been done on passive smoking produce results that are not statistically significant according to conventional analysis." In plain English, that means that if secondary smoking were not already the focus of a torrent of moral sanctimony, few reputable scientists would dare to assert that it causes lung cancer, heart disease or any of the other life-threatening conditions with which it is routinely associated.

Dr Ken Denson, a medical professional who is prepared say what others only think, puts it more bluntly: "The ill effects of passive smoking are still intuition rather than scientific fact... All in all, the medical evidence for any deleterious effect of passive smoking is extremely tenuous and it is unlikely that it would ever stand up in a court of law.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/passive-smoking-is-there-convincing-evidence-that-its-harmful-476472.html

So it boils down to that you are offended that other people smoke. Your offense is your choice, you could choose to be more charitable. And you should.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 02:01 am
My experts trump your experts

Quote:
washingtonpost.com > Health U.S. Details Dangers of Secondhand Smoking
'Serious Health Hazard' Is Cited

By Marc Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Secondhand smoke dramatically increases the risk of heart disease and lung cancer in nonsmokers and can be controlled only by making indoor spaces smoke-free, according to a comprehensive report issued yesterday by U.S. Surgeon General Richard H. Carmona.

"The health effects of secondhand smoke exposure are more pervasive than we previously thought," Carmona said. "The scientific evidence is now indisputable: Secondhand smoke is not a mere annoyance. It is a serious health hazard that can lead to disease and premature death in children and nonsmoking adults."

According to the report, the government's most detailed statement ever on secondhand smoke, exposure to smoke at home or work increases the nonsmokers' risk of developing heart disease by 25 to 30 percent and lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent. It is especially dangerous for children living with smokers and is known to cause sudden infant death syndrome, respiratory problems, ear infections and asthma attacks in infants and children.

Smokers spent decades being uncharitable to non-smokers, assuming it wass their right to smoke anywhere, anytime, no matter who disliked it or why. I see no reason, now that things have become much more pleasant, to show any charity when none was ever offered.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 05:29 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Another thing that I find fascinating is that we are developing a good science indication that what really kills is smoking into old age, that those who give it up early enough dont have much potential life lost at all. I would like to see this developed more, it could be that we can enjoy smoking for 30 years, then give it up, and be almost as fine as the never smoked.

You are telling that nonsense to a man who had a sister-in-law, a good neighbor and family friend, and two long term co-workers who all die in their late forties or early fifties from smoking.

Not what I would call old age except perhaps for smokers.
engineer

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 06:43 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

No, because now all those who claimed that smoking helped them to maintain their desired weight have had their claims documented by science. And as I said, all those who claimed that Nicotine adds nothing to the health of the body have been proven wrong.

I've seen the health benefits of smoking documented several times over the years and as I posted, I don't think the effects of smoking on weight control were ever in doubt. The study you linked to is important because it shows how the effect works. Now that we know that, we can figure out the way to reap the benefits without the (also well documented) negatives. Your title that "science finds nicotine enormously helpful to humans" is misleading. Nicotine has both positive and negative effects on humans and the typically chosen method of nicotine induction (smoking) has a lot of negative effects. I won't be popping nicotine gum for weight control any time soon, but I can see the day when the results of this study are used to create a derivative that has all the positives with very little of the negatives like addiction.
BDV

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 08:21 am
@BillRM,
I've seen many many friends and family die from car accidents, house hold accidents, cancers, diseases, some of these where infants, most under 40, yet surprisingly NON of them smoked.

Data collection for the anti-smoking lobby is highly corrupt! why does a car accident death of a smoker become a smoking related death?

1 in 5 deaths are smoking related! 1 in 5 people smoke, i think that figure speaks for itself.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 08:25 am
@engineer,
People are not interested in the benefits of smoking as it doesn't fit their narrow minded jealousy and irrational hatred of a person who finds smoking a pleasant and relaxing pass time, the fact that smoking helps reduce stress and anxiety of a person is by far one of the biggest advantages of it. Don’t they always tell us that “stress is the n.1 killer”
BDV

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 08:29 am
@BillRM,
Those are not real facts, just look at the figures, some don't even add up, HIV is actually higher internationally than lung cancer deaths (X2), post facts from independant research not the "Anti-smoking" lobby
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:02 am
@BDV,
BDV wrote:

People are not interested in the benefits of smoking as it doesn't fit their narrow minded jealousy and irrational hatred of a person who finds smoking a pleasant and relaxing pass time, the fact that smoking helps reduce stress and anxiety of a person is by far one of the biggest advantages of it.

For the vast majority of non-smokers, I don't think it has to do with "irrational hatred" so much as smokers sharing the unpleasant aspects of the practice with those who don't enjoy it. The smell of smoke is unpleasant, it is a respirtory irritant to those with breathing issues, it stains clothing and furniture, etc. I don't think non-smokers have any issues with smokers enjoying a cigarette as long as it doesn't intrude on them.
Foofie

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:58 am
Even if smoking was not a health concern, the reason people begin to smoke is what some might not like about smoking. It is a blatent attempt to appear a certain way. Sort of like wearing a baseball hat with the brim at a certain angle. Some people just do not like what a cigarette connotes. A pipe connotes something else. So does a cigar.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 11:53 am
@engineer,
Quote:
For the vast majority of non-smokers, I don't think it has to do with "irrational hatred" so much as smokers sharing the unpleasant aspects of the practice with those who don't enjoy it. The smell of smoke is unpleasant, it is a respirtory irritant to those with breathing issues, it stains clothing and furniture, etc. I don't think non-smokers have any issues with smokers enjoying a cigarette as long as it doesn't intrude on them.
OK, now explain why e-cig's are getting banned....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 11:58 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Nicotine has both positive and negative effects on humans
I dont know that Nicotine has any negative effects at low doses (for instance from smoking a pack a day)....are you sure that you do? There are about 70 potentially harmful substances in tobacco smoke, maybe the other 69 do the bad stuff and Nicotine is the positive one .