My Worst Day at School

Br00ki3

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 07:25 pm
My worst day at school occurred when I discovered an important person was taken away from me. It was a dreadful two years of her fighting off a sickness that lead to the devastating death. That day changed a great deal of things in my life as well as others. It was the worst day at school because of the relationship we shared, the sickness, and the death of my great-grandmother Gracie.
First off, the relationship me and my great-grandmother acquired was not like any other. I often thought she was my grandmother because I stayed with her all the time. She took care of me when my mother was sick so we had a great deal of bonding. We would piece together puzzles, blow bubbles, and a lot more fun activities. My great grandmother would often call me “Shirley Temple” because of my red curly hair. She would take me places just to display my curly hair to everyone. She felt so proud because I constantly received comments from everyone in town about my red curly hair. I looked up to her for many reasons. Mostly because Gracie was a supporting, loving, strong woman who would sacrifice everything she had for anybody in the world.
Meanwhile, the sickness me great grandmother obtained was very sad. She started going downhill after she had her gallbladder removed due to gallbladder cancer. It was very intense to know that she was getting sick. She was later on diagnosed with systemic cancer. She was a strong woman though. The doctors only gave her six months to live. For two years, we actually were blessed to have extra time with her. Everyone was amazed with how long she held on to life. At the beginning, in the hospital, we almost lost her twice, during the surgery and in the intensive care unit. My family and I figured if she could beat death twice, then it was not yet her time to go. Stress less was the factor that helped her live longer because, we all tried our hardest to make her comfortable and happy as possible. We would spend the time would could with her bonding and talking about her past. I remember when she started to grow weaker she called me into the living room and gave me her wedding band. It was very emotional for me because I thought of it as a sign that she knew it was almost her time. Two weeks past and Gracie lost the ability to speak and eat. It was not something a great granddaughter wanted to perceive. It was very difficult to go through but my family and I tried our hardest to have hope and not show dreadful tears because we all knew she wanted to go home. We all made the best of what we could and made the time worth having. Suddenly, it was like a miracle came then she was all better and could eat and talk fine. It was hard to take in that it was really happening and she was acting better. Then I thought to myself and realized that the worst was soon to happen because, they usually become better before they go.

Eventually, in the final stages in her life, she was more concerned about everyone else in the family. She knew the duration of her life was getting closer to an end. I remember that morning felt like a blurry dream that was being played in fast forward. She was she not feeling that well that morning and I wanted to help her but I couldn’t, I had to get ready for school. Before I left for school I plainly remember giving her a kiss on forehead and bending over for her to kiss me on the check, and seeing a bright light that look as if it was shining on her. I did not think anything of it because of the rush I was in. I arrived at school and in second block and a click came on the intercom and Mr. West the guidance counselor said, “Can you please send Brooke Rippey down to guidance?” Dr. Shwink said, “Yes, I will send her down now.” As i walked down to the guidance office, my heart raced as I thought about what i could’ve done to be called down. I walked through the doors and seen a quick glimpse of a postage note lying on a desk that said, “Hospice.” All of a sudden, thoughts blow so quickly through my mind and I realized it was about my great grandmother. I was hoping that everything was okay, and it was just a note for something else random. I walked up to Mr. West’s desk and he had a fixed look in his eyes and said, “Brooke, your great grandmother Gracie just passed away this morning.” I dropped to my knees and tears flew down my cheeks like a waterfall gushing from a dam. I never cried that hard in my life over somebody passing away. I couldn’t stand up or move for several minutes until he handed me a tissue and said, “Your mother sent a hospice nurse to pick you up shortly.” I finally rose to my feet picturing her in my head lying in that bed. I went to get my books from the class I was in and returned to the office to be picked up. She arrived and we headed to the house which is where my grandmother lived also. I remember walking through that front door seeing all my immediate family members’ mourning over top of her in her bed. I walked over to her and seen her lying so peaceful but so quiet. Tears then started to roll down my cheeks and I thought about how much I was going to miss her. Even though she was gone forever I knew that it was the best place for her to be and she was finally home like she wanted to be.
Although, it was my worst day at school, the death of my great grandmother Gracie has helped me and motivated me to be a better person and to help people as a nurse. I still think back about how much she meant to me and realized she will always mean something special to me. Whenever I become lost or scared I just think back to that worst day that occurred and realize it made something good out of me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,369 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 07:42 pm
Thank you for sharing that with us. It took courage to write all that. You were left with lots of loving memories, I can tell. And you were much loved!

Live your life happily. Continue on, carrying her great spirit and dedication to her family. in your heart.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:54 pm
I'm so sorry for your loss. You're a pretty good writer, if your great grandmother can get you to write like that and wring a tear out of a strangers eye, she gave you a pretty good gift.
0 Replies