felt like a square peg in a round hole?

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:35 pm
felt like a square peg in a round hole = felt pinched economically?
How a peg would be like that?

Context:

"I was never happy in my life in finance," said Sadowsky, 39, a former liaison for institutional investors and money managers at Citibank and Invesco. "I always felt like a square peg in a round hole. I decided I had to get out of this business. I was never cut out for this."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,665 • Replies: 5
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:39 pm
http://fingercandymedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/square-peg-round-hole.jpg

As this image shows, the saying refers to something or someone trying to fit in where they don't fit. In your quote above, the words that match this phrase are "I was never cut out for this."
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:40 pm
@oristarA,
The person is saying he never fit with the world of finance. A square peg doesn't fit into in round hole very well.
http://niblett.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/square_peg_in_round_hole_2.jpg?w=300&h=225
littlek

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:41 pm
@Ceili,
Ha! Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:43 pm
@oristarA,
Felt like a square peg in a round hole is an idiom or a proverb indicating that the person in question doesn't fit in her or his surroundings.

Perhaps Sadowsky doesn't like the stresses, her or his coworkers, the job itself, the managers, or the corporate lifestyle. Use of the adage has the person acknowledge her or his social incompatibility to the banker's lifestyle and responsibilities.

The image provoked by the wording is meant to indicate that no matter how hard you try to hammer the square into the round hole, that it won't fit.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 09:03 pm
Got it.

Thank you guys.
0 Replies