Colons After Quotes

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 01:56 pm
One of the jobs I have involves formatting and word processing--

I just got cut down a point on my monthly evaluation because I didn't leave the colon in on headings like this:

PARTY OF THE THIRD PART:
The party of the third part parts parts to the party of the second part, who passes all the parts on to the party of the first part.

I wrote the heading:

PARTY OF THE THIRD PART
And then started with the text here.

My company said that was an error, and deducted me one point on my evaluation. I always thought that stand-alone headings like this would not take a colon.

Am I crazy, or is my company one space shy of all its colons?

Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,021 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 02:09 pm
This is 100% a matter of style.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 02:24 pm
I think you're right, estrella, unless it's some legalistic tradition. In other words, a matter of style.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 03:35 pm
Perhaps you should consult a senior member to find out if s/he can direct you to a style manual they are using.
0 Replies

estrella

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 05:31 pm
LOL, Setanta,

These guys don't have a style manual--they follow whatever their client wants! Which I suppose has it merits. I tend to want a set style, and I think it is cost effective as well in the time and money areas to have a set style.

But ya do what ya gotta do, dontcha?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 05:42 pm
Yeah, ya do . . . i have almost everything in the way of letters, memos and fax cover sheets already typed-out, with those parts which change left blank. Then, i simply open the file, type in the blank spaces, print it, and then close the file. When the program asks if i wish to save the changes, i hit the "no" button--and it's ready to go the next time. I can knock out very professional looking documents very quickly, time and again. Having this type of "open format" document, or having templates for your documents is very cost effective--and very uncommon. People are such dopes, they never even approach the true value of pc's for speed and efficiency . . . sigh . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 05:57 pm
Setanta,
That is very similar to the way that I make sites. I first create a template for each type of page then make pages of them. Since I have to save them I do keep backups though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 06:03 pm
Can't you just open them as copies?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 06:36 pm
Yes, and I do. But since I have a couple thousand templates, things can get confusing. I also test different versions and sometimes forget what code I modified so I keep several backups. Lots can go wrong with code, lol. I also try working live sometimes. If you ever see a bunch of errors here that go away after a few seconds it usually means I edited a file live on the server, it didn't work and I then uploaded a backup.

Since my methods are disjoined (but fast) I keep backups on my puter and on many remote hosts.
0 Replies

estrella

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:50 am
Let me tell you about confusion and hairy: We have several clients. Each client has a different format. Within that client are many dictators. Each dictator uses some different headings, and not only different headings, but changes his mind about what headings he wants to use almost every time he dictates......

With the result that no matter what template you set up, you cannot just go smoothly down the page, you will always have to be adding or deleting....so I have set up many macros to allow for this----

Which means for one single item on a page I will have at least five or six macros to accommodate all the differences. Remembering all those macros per document and which one goes with what dictator is an absolute pain--I have to keep lists, and stop and check my list. I am sure than when the man hours are toted up at the end of the month, there are quite a few hours devoted to remembering all this and keeping the documents accurate. Which probably doesn't account for much in the overall corporate picture, but it certainly would make our lives much easier to have a standard format.... I could just Crying or Very sad --
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:01 am
Love yer alluring new avatar, Boss, betcha get hit on all the time . . .
0 Replies

estrella

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:02 am
Embarrassed
0 Replies