Puzzles in Reading O. Henry

roger

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:34 pm
@ossobuco,
I used to handle Michener real well. The Sound and the Fury defeated me as well. Maybe it was the names, maybe the sentences, and maybe because I was clueless about the sequence of the various scenes. I didn't put it aside. I rejected it.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:01 pm
@roger,
I probably kept it for a couple of years, knowing it was an important book, or so I heard. I remember trying to read it more than once. Then, out. This is the good part about reading for pleasure/curiosity instead of for a class. On the other hand, on my own, I tend not to analyze a book as one might in a literature class: it's more of an "experience".

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 03:49 am
I've liked every book by Faulkner that i've ever read, and that includes The Sound and the Fury. I believe i've read them all, or damned near. The Sound and the Fury was a brilliant work, and i believe that it is correct that it was for that work above all others that he was awarded the Nobel Prize.

The book is difficult because he presents (or attempts to present) different views of the events from several points of view, in the fragmented manner in which people think and react to their environment. It was difficult to read, but in my opinion, well worth the effort.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 08:03 am
@Setanta,
Ordinarily I like that process - different takes on events from several points of view. I never got far enough to understand that was what was going on in The Sound and the Fury - which I surmise now is part of what the title was about, or was it?
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:20 am
@ossobuco,
I'll give a shot at that. The title is from a passage of old Bill Snakeshit, from Macbeth:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

So, please note, it is a tale told by an idiot. The obviouis reference is to Benjy, who is, clinically speaking, an idiot--a man with the mind of a child. But Faulkner was more subtle than that, this also refers to the idiocy of other characters.

The Compson family is declining from its former wealth, influence and glory, so that the way to dusty death applies as well. Dust was a frequent metaphor of Faulkner's for the faded glory of old southern families, or of the South in general. His 1948 novel about race relations in the old South was entitled Intruder in the Dust. His first successful novel was Sartoris (it was, i believe, his third or fourth novel, but this was the one which gave him notoriety). The people who published it cut it down drastically. The full version of Faulkner's original manuscript was published in 1973 with his original title, Flags in the Dust. This also traced the decline of a once great Southern family. Dust as metaphor for the declining fortumes of southerners was a constant theme of his.

Finally, in accepting his Nobel Prize, Faulkner said that the things of the heart, the universal truths, are what matters, all else is irrelevant detail. He specifically put it that all else signifies nothing. So, yes the title is very interwoven--it is a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:44 am
@Setanta,
Ok, ok, now I want to read the book, so thanks.
Embarrassing - I once memorized that Macbeth passage, and presumably understood it at the time.

One more comment, re the esl tag for the thread - I'm not convinced Maple is learning english as a second language, as George had thought.
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:53 am
@ossobuco,
I believe that Maple is doing translations, and said as much. I don't know who is resonsible for the tag. Maple's command of English is sufficient that i feel that she or he is better qualified to translate than others we've had here.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:57 am
@Setanta,
Oh, ok.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 05:24 pm
@maple,
maple wrote:
Thank you. I am a translator learning English as a second language, and I am
trying to translate the works of O. Henry into Chinese. Difficulties do exist in
understanding his works, and that's the reason why I am here asking you for
help. I am sure that with such good teachers as you, I will fulfill my dream.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 05:27 pm
@George,
Wow. Maple is very good.

Thanks, George. I didn't mean to skulldug you.
George

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 05:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Skulldug?
I love it!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 05:41 pm
@George,
New verb, skulldughere. Or noun, slulldugo.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 05:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, I'm bad. We're just playing, Maple.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 07:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Knows how to keep the pump primed too, don't he?
0 Replies