than was useful = than (the knowlege) was useful?

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 08:15 am

Context:

N.S.: We had some idea of how large we wanted our sources to be. There were constraints due to hardware and the need to search very quickly. We decided how large we could make sources, and then based on that I set a threshold. We always took the most relevant text fi rst. You could lower the threshold, but at a certain point you’d have more knowledge than was useful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 414 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 08:34 am
@oristarA,
I am assuming that this article is about some kind of search engine in the process of being designed.

To lower the threshold means to set up the search engine to search threw a larger set of sources then perhaps necessary. Doing so would then flood the user with too much information, much of it irrelevant and useless.

You could rewrite this sentence as such:
You could lower the threshold, but at a certain point, the resulting flood of information would be counterproductive.

It's not the knowledge that's not useful but the pile of useless knowledge on top of the useful knowledge that makes the problem.
contrex

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 08:38 am
@oristarA,
The construction "more [...] than was" indicates that some kind of level or quantity was exceeded, in this case the amount of knowledge that was useful. If you lowered the threshold then you would have more knowledge than you could make use of.

Consider the following:

My recipe needed 5 kilos of flour. You gave me 10 kilos. I had more flour than was required.

The train ticket to London cost 20 pounds. I had 15 pounds in my pocket. I had less money than was needed.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 08:39 am
@tsarstepan,
@tsarstepan, he's not asking about the meaning of "threshold" but about the "more ... than was useful" construction, I think. Maybe he will clarify.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 08:53 am
Both are informative.

Thank you.
0 Replies