we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds =?

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 12:42 am

In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds = Sure, in the process of gaining our rightful place, we probably make some mistakes, but we must not be afraid of making mistakes, because it is very normal to make mistakes when fighting for the cause of justice?

Context:

But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

More:

I have a Dream, Martin Luther King, Jr.
Delivered on the steps at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. on August 28, 1963
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 8,069 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JTT

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 08:59 pm
@oristarA,
In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds

I think it probably equals the 'must' of prohibit, Ori.

You must not do bad things even if you are engaged in a process to get what you rightfully deserve.

OR

You have no right to do bad things even if you are engaged in a process to get what you rightfully deserve.
oristarA

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 12:01 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds

You must not do bad things even if you are engaged in a process to get what you rightfully deserve.

OR

You have no right to do bad things even if you are engaged in a process to get what you rightfully deserve.

Thank you JTT.

Your explanation is crystal clear in meaning, but not in grammar.

So "be guilty of" means "do"? That is what got me extremly confused.

If "be guilty of " meant "do", okay, "we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds " refers to "we must not do wrongful deeds!" It is ABSOLUTELY understandable.

But, how can "be guilty of " is the equal of "do"? It cannot hold water. It would turn out to be a mystery in English grammar!

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 12:04 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

the 'must' of prohibit? I feel I've been dragged into a whirlpool of muddy waters.

Did you mean

Must = prohibit ?

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 01:59 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds.

An example of the work of the preacher, public speaker and master of rhetoric. Contrasting and balancing "rightful place" with "wrongful deeds".

"Our rightful place" is a well-used and well-known phrase. "Wrongful deeds" not so much; it has just been manufactured for the purpose of the message, in a memorable, ringing phrase.
McTag

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 02:03 am
@McTag,

In answer to the original question, there are a few phrases in English which relate to this.

The end does not justify the means.
(sometimes, the end justifies the means)
You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.
etc.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 02:24 am
@McTag,
McTag,

After reading your posts here, my puzzle remains unsolved.
McTag

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 02:34 am
@oristarA,

Oh really? I suppose I was just trying to sketch in some background for you.

In Dr King's speech, what he is saying (to his people, the black people of America) in this passage is:

Do not break the law in order to get what you believe is your due.

Whatever you choose to do, in the wider struggle for equality and acceptance in American society, do not commit any crime or misdeed.
oristarA

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 05:27 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Oh really? I suppose I was just trying to sketch in some background for you.

In Dr King's speech, what he is saying (to his people, the black people of America) in this passage is:

Do not break the law in order to get what you believe is your due.

Whatever you choose to do, in the wider struggle for equality and acceptance in American society, do not commit any crime or misdeed.

If I translate the King's speech into Chinese, I will put the logic on top priority, regardless of the puzzling form of grammar.

Yours explanation and JTT's are exactly what I thought in my mind before I posted this thread. The grammar of "we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds" still puzzles me. Becaue it literaily conveys the opposite: "we must not afraid of doing things unlawful or illegal"Razz

JTT

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 11:41 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
If I translate [the] King's speech into Chinese, I will put the logic on top priority, regardless of the puzzling form of grammar.

Yours explanation and JTT's are exactly what I thought in my mind before I posted this thread. The grammar of "we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds" still puzzles me. Becaue it literaily conveys the opposite: "we must not be afraid of doing things unlawful or illegal"

When you said,

"If "be guilty of " meant "do", okay, "we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds " refers to "we must not do wrongful deeds!" It is ABSOLUTELY understandable"

you nailed it, Ori.

Quote:
Your explanation is crystal clear in meaning, but not in grammar.
But, how can "be guilty of " is the equal of "do"? It cannot hold water. It would turn out to be a mystery in English grammar!

For a person to "be guilty of doing something", they have to do it, Ori. I can't, at this moment, in any way see how that could be glossed to mean,

the opposite: "we must not afraid of doing things unlawful or illegal"

Maybe with a translation, there's a shift in Chinese grammar/thinking that would allow that to be the case but as my knowledge of Chinese extends to Ni hao [sp??], I wouldn't be much help to you on that.

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 12:50 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
The grammar of "we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds" still puzzles me. Becaue it literaily conveys the opposite: "we must not afraid of doing things unlawful or illegal"

No it doesn't.
"We must not be guilty of wrongful deeds" just means we must not do anything wrong.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:22 pm

There is sure a nuance that needs accumulation before becoming obvious.

Your explanations have depicted a good picture. Though not very clear for me, but I'm sure I've basically got its idea.
0 Replies