The Opposite for "Dark Lord"

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 07:59 pm
Bright Lord? It sounds mediocre and seems not working.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,559 • Replies: 18
No top replies

squarepeg

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 08:27 pm
@oristarA,
How about "Lord of the Light"
oristarA

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 08:55 pm
@squarepeg,
squarepeg wrote:

How about "Lord of the Light"

Thank you .

Seems better, but still not satisfactory.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:17 am
surely it would be a "light peasant" (skinny poor person) or "peasant of the light" (poor person who knows the answer) Smile
oristarA

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 09:11 pm
@oristarA,
Oh head spins, Dear Lord. Razz
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 12:24 am
@BDV,
BDV wrote:

surely it would be a "light peasant" (skinny poor person) or "peasant of the light" (poor person who knows the answer) Smile

That is a rather silly thing to write, resulting from a childish belief that you can construct an "opposite" for every single word or phrase. OristarA, of which characteristic of the "Dark Lord" do you wish to describe the "opposite"? His being "dark"? Is this a literal darkness (i.e. he is black) or is "dark" figurative? (i.e. it refers to some moral or spiritual quality) Or his being a "lord"? I suppose someone at the opposite end of the social scale from a "Lord" might be a "peasant". However you usually encounter "dark lords" in the context of stupid computer games or books about swords and sorcery, and the key quality is definitely a moral and spiritual darkness, so I would go with squarepeg's suggestion perhaps. Maybe explaining why you asked this question might be helpful to us, if you want a more considered answer. in other words GIVE MORE CONTEXT as you are always being told!

oristarA

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 12:57 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

BDV wrote:

That is a rather silly thing to write, resulting from a childish belief that you can construct an "opposite" for every single word or phrase. OristarA, of which characteristic of the "Dark Lord" do you wish to describe the "opposite"? His being "dark"? Is this a literal darkness (i.e. he is black) or is "dark" figurative? (i.e. it refers to some moral or spiritual quality) Or his being a "lord"? I suppose someone at the opposite end of the social scale from a "Lord" might be a "peasant". However you usually encounter "dark lords" in the context of stupid computer games or books about swords and sorcery, and the key quality is definitely a moral and spiritual darkness, so I would go with squarepeg's suggestion perhaps. Maybe explaining why you asked this question might be helpful to us, if you want a more considered answer. in other words GIVE MORE CONTEXT as you are always being told!

Morally, the opposite of God is Satan; and when we refer Satan as Dark Lord, what is the opposite?

It's literarily fun.

contrex

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 03:16 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
It's literarily fun.

If you say so. (rolls eyes)

literary [ˈlɪtərərɪ ˈlɪtrərɪ]
adj
1. of, relating to, concerned with, or characteristic of literature or scholarly writing a literary discussion a literary style
2. versed in or knowledgeable about literature a literary man
3. (of a word) formal; not colloquial
[from Latin litterārius concerning reading and writing. See letter]
literarily adv
literariness n

I presume that when you say "fun" you are implying that you were not looking for a definitive dictionary-type answer, which would be impossible, but rather that you were hoping for imaginative suggestions. There is a character called Sauron in "The Lord Of The Rings" who is described as the "Dark Lord", he doesn't really have anything so simplistic as an "opposite". "Satan", in a number of religions is supposed to be a supernatural being who is the personification of "evil", and in many (not all) cultures light=good and dark=bad so I suppose that "God" might be called the "Lord of Light" or something like that. Native speakers might not immediately gather what you were intending: a perception of ambiguity might arise because they might be aware of e.g. characters in sword-and-sorcery novels and computer games, the Hindu pantheon, white and black chess pieces, a science fiction novel by Roger Zelazny, etc.

BDV

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:32 am
@contrex,
my apologies "Mr Mature" for invading your intellectual realm, us less mature types just like to enjoy life abit
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:51 am
@oristarA,
how about "celestial holiness"
Setanta

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:11 am
If we're talking Sauron, i'd say the opposite if Galadriel.
oristarA

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 07:57 pm
@contrex,
Thank you Contrex.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 07:58 pm
@BDV,
BDV wrote:

how about "celestial holiness"

It sounds bookish! No match of "dark lord" at all. Very Happy
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:01 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If we're talking Sauron, i'd say the opposite if Galadriel.

How limited!

The "Dark Lord," however, can be used in many way (e.g. in Harry Potter series, they all face the common enemy: the dark lord voldermort.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 02:11 am
@oristarA,
I don't know that I agree that 'The Bright Lord" is mediocre.

But if you insist it is, you might have a few other choices:

"The Lord Shining."

"The Blaze."

"The Blazing Lord."

"The Lord Luminous."

"The Radiant."

"The Radiant Lord."

"The Lord Resplendent."

"God."
oristarA

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:50 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't know that I agree that 'The Bright Lord" is mediocre.

But if you insist it is, you might have a few other choices:

"The Lord Shining."

"The Blaze."

"The Blazing Lord."

"The Lord Luminous."

"The Radiant."

"The Radiant Lord."

"The Lord Resplendent."

"God."

Excellent!

I prefer "The Lord Luminous" and "The Lord Resplendent."

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 04:55 pm
@oristarA,
Feel free to use them in your next screenplay.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 06:43 pm
@oristarA,
How about The Luminous Lady?
oristarA

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 09:14 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

How about The Luminous Lady?

Stunned.

It's about gentlemen, sir, not ladies.

But...

When talking about women, your idea's brilliant indeed.

0 Replies