I failed to understand "More years ago than either of us would like to say"

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 08:39 pm
Would you like to rewrite it for me?
Thank you.

Context:

Attorney General Eric Holder Speaks at the Harvard School of Public Health Event
Boston ~ Friday, May 6, 2011Thank you, Dean [Julio] Frenk. It’s a pleasure to be here. And it’s a privilege to join with so many leaders and distinguished members of the Harvard community. I especially want to thank Associate Dean [Jay] Winsten for moderating our discussion and, more importantly, for his leadership and friendship. More years ago than either of us would like to say, when I served as Washington, D.C.’s United States Attorney during one of the city’s most dangerous eras, Jay and I worked together on several initiatives to reduce youth violence and promote youth mentoring. Today, Jay – and several other members of the Harvard faculty, including Dr. Felton Earls, who I’m glad to see here – are valued partners of the Department of Justice. And all of us will benefit from the perspective and expertise that they bring to today’s discussion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 358 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 09:48 pm
@oristarA,
He is expressing western culture's general negative attitude to aging....it's kind of a common joke

He's saying that it was quite a long time ago that he served as the district attorney and jokingly saying that he doesn't want to say how long ago because that would reveal how old he is because that would say that he is quite old

Being young is seen as desirable
oristarA

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 09:53 pm
@dlowan,

What a good expression!
0 Replies