when is Schroedinger's cat dead, and when is it not?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 10:48 pm
I suppose most people know its a mind experiment I just posted it somewhere 1 or 2 post behind...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 11:12 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
The source is myself applying my understanding of relativity which is amateurish..nonetheless you just need to know 2 or 3 things to apply the principle. It easy to grasp. You know as everybody knows that at speed of light time goes faster...

This is completely meaningless, since no matter can ever be observed travelling at the speed of light.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...and you know the speed is relative among observers. You also know that at a tenth of speed of light time dilation is a tenth of what would be if you were going at the speed of light right ?

No it certainly is not directly proportional, even if it were possible to go at the speed of light, which it is not. The actual formula is widely available.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Now take that into smaller and smaller and smaller fractions of speed of light...say instead of a 10th a 100th, or a 1000th, or 1 million under...in all scenarios you have ever smaller time fluctuations...

What do you mean by time fluctuations and what does any of this have to do with quantum mechanics?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...up to the point they barely can be noticeable unless you use an atomic clock (which we do in GPS satellites so they are precise, its not just maths and sci-fi its a scientific proven and tested fact)...what this means in turn is that no matter how small the change in speed is, there will always be ad infinitum a very very very small time dilation and that no one no thing lives/exists exactly in the same spacetime frame in relation to anything else. This of course has also repercussions in Quantum mechanics...

Such as what?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
......explaining them is often left behind and set apart mainly because Einstein well established model theory of relativity regarding gravity and macroscopic things doesn't cope well with quantum mechanics models which explain the microscopic particles, the math of both works, but doesn't get along with each other...this is why searching for a theory of everything that unifies the motions and processes of all 4 fundamental forces of nature, gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces has been a extremely hard task no one has accomplished in the past 100 years in physics...the closest we got was with Steven Hawking black hole radiation that established a connection between gravity in black holes and virtual pairs of particles governed by quantum mechanics proving even black holes can lose mass through energy when these pairs are freed from annihilating each other in the event horizon of a black hole, it got its creator name Hawking radiation... and it grant him Newtons chair in Cambridge and world wild prestige. More recently we have other candidates like super string theory with several variations on the matter.

Has it never occurred to you that you need to actually study a technical subject before you understand it?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 11:30 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
The source is myself applying my understanding of relativity which is amateurish..nonetheless you just need to know 2 or 3 things to apply the principle. It easy to grasp. You know as everybody knows that at speed of light time goes faster...

This is completely meaningless, since no matter can ever be observed travelling at the speed of light.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...and you know the speed is relative among observers. You also know that at a tenth of speed of light time dilation is a tenth of what would be if you were going at the speed of light right ?

No it certainly is not directly proportional, even if it were possible to go at the speed of light, which it is not. The actual formula is widely available.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Now take that into smaller and smaller and smaller fractions of speed of light...say instead of a 10th a 100th, or a 1000th, or 1 million under...in all scenarios you have ever smaller time fluctuations...

What do you mean by time fluctuations and what does any of this have to do with quantum mechanics?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...up to the point they barely can be noticeable unless you use an atomic clock (which we do in GPS satellites so they are precise, its not just maths and sci-fi its a scientific proven and tested fact)...what this means in turn is that no matter how small the change in speed is, there will always be ad infinitum a very very very small time dilation and that no one no thing lives/exists exactly in the same spacetime frame in relation to anything else. This of course has also repercussions in Quantum mechanics...

Such as what?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
......explaining them is often left behind and set apart mainly because Einstein well established model theory of relativity regarding gravity and macroscopic things doesn't cope well with quantum mechanics models which explain the microscopic particles, the math of both works, but doesn't get along with each other...this is why searching for a theory of everything that unifies the motions and processes of all 4 fundamental forces of nature, gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces has been a extremely hard task no one has accomplished in the past 100 years in physics...the closest we got was with Steven Hawking black hole radiation that established a connection between gravity in black holes and virtual pairs of particles governed by quantum mechanics proving even black holes can lose mass through energy when these pairs are freed from annihilating each other in the event horizon of a black hole, it got its creator name Hawking radiation... and it grant him Newtons chair in Cambridge and world wild prestige. More recently we have other candidates like super string theory with several variations on the matter.

Has it never occurred to you that you need to actually study a technical subject before you understand it?

1 - Irrelevant you just need to be "close" (1000th is enough or even less) to speed of light not at full speed of light in which case matter would disintegrate...for observing with ease time dilation... you just need some fast speed...

2 - Irrelevant again the progression being linear proportional or exponential the same principle applies..Address the principle not the direct proportionality...

3 - "Time fluctuations" intends to mean that there is no full structure, for instance a "cat" which in its whole is entirely in the same spacetime frame no matter how small is the variation. Since this structure is in motion and composed of things themselves in motion and with minor different speeds then there must be time dilation in some parts bigger then in other parts mathematically speaking, no matter how smallish...in fact print the number you want for small, the problem stands....Fluctuations in time dilation from part to part of the structure X one wants to refer to.

4 - Reality is one and the 4 fundamental forces interact so they must relate. Obviously a TOE implies precisely what I said. That is, that there must be a connection between Gravity and the other 3 fundamental forces, therefore time dilation must have an effect on the quantum level no matter how weak gravity is...When physicists say "neglect able" mathematicians step in and kick their but for laziness !

5 - Well then why don't you care to enlighten me instead of making an entirely useless remark at the topic at hand...Its pretty obvious I didn't got any substance from this last comment and from your previous ones just nonsense !

If you are a Physicist bring up the substance left out the nonsense. I want to progress not regress ! Cheers and thank you very much !
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 01:53 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Such as what?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

1 - Irrelevant you just need to be "close" (1000th is enough or even less) to speed of light not at full speed of light in which case matter would disintegrate...for observing with ease time dilation... you just need some fast speed...

2 - Irrelevant again the progression being linear proportional or exponential the same principle applies..Address the principle not the direct proportionality...

3 - "Time fluctuations" intends to mean that there is no full structure, for instance a "cat" which in its whole is entirely in the same spacetime frame no matter how small is the variation. Since this structure is in motion and composed of things themselves in motion and with minor different speeds then there must be time dilation in some parts bigger then in other parts mathematically speaking, no matter how smallish...in fact print the number you want for small, the problem stands....Fluctuations in time dilation from part to part of the structure X one wants to refer to.

4 - Reality is one and the 4 fundamental forces interact so they must relate. Obviously a TOE implies precisely what I said. That is, that there must be a connection between Gravity and the other 3 fundamental forces, therefore time dilation must have an effect on the quantum level no matter how weak gravity is...When physicists say "neglect able" mathematicians step in and kick their but for laziness !

5 - Well then why don't you care to enlighten me instead of making an entirely useless remark at the topic at hand...Its pretty obvious I didn't got any substance from this last comment and from your previous ones just nonsense !

If you are a Physicist bring up the substance left out the nonsense. I want to progress not regress ! Cheers and thank you very much !

1 and 2. I'm not sure how pointing out that your statements are wrong is irrelevant. It seems kind of relevant to the false statements.
3. We were discussing the thought experiment "Schrodinger's cat," which is a discussion of superposition states and the collapse of the wave function. It has nothing to do with spacetime, or time dilation. Every object in the thought experiment is stationary in the coordinate system.
4. Completely not relevant to a discussion of "Schrodinger's cat."
5. If you sort of knew what you were talking about, or if you were merely asking questions, rather than spouting fictitious physics, I would try to help you understand. Since you appear to know nothing whatever about the subject, and have chosen to say a lot of stuff that's nonsense, rather than trying to learn, I'll merely suggest that you do the work of actually reading a reputable source about the subject.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 10:09 am
@Brandon9000,
Fil doesn't accept quantum mecanics, finds them 'odd'. This might be one of his attempts to explain away QM. Note the insistence on explaining the double slit experiment...
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 10:50 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Fil doesn't accept quantum mecanics, finds them 'odd'. This might be one of his attempts to explain away QM. Note the insistence on explaining the double slit experiment...

But qm IS odd, idiotic, strange and wrong!

The theory doesn't work at all!

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 10:56 am
A system is sometimes in a state which has superposition of several possible values of a dynamical variable such a position, momentum, energy, etc., each with a certain probability. For example, it may be in a state in which several energies are possible. Upon measurement, only one value of the dynamical variable, e.g. energy, will be detected. Normally, this effect is undetectably small for macroscopic objects, but "Schrodinger's cat" is designed to make a macroscopic system dependent on the superposition state of a small system (an atom or two of a radioactive substance). It has nothing to do with time dilation, especially since every object in the experiment is stationary in the coordinate system. It has nothing to do with the four forces, and it has nothing to do with any kind of "fluctuation." The actual calculations are done by applying operators to the wavefunction. Unless you've had a quantum mechanics class, every description you've ever heard of this has been baby talk, very far indeed from the actual calculations.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 11:04 am
@Brandon9000,
Note please that time dilation variations as different relative motions and vectors are in place in different parts of a body can in fact happen. Equally I know the Schroedinger cat experiment was made with quantum systems applied to macro systems in mind I also am well aware what is a quantum super position of states and the collapse of the wave function as described in the classical quantum mechanics developed by the Vienna group. You continuously fail to address my point or alternatively are incapable to see it.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 11:13 am
@Quehoniaomath,
It seems our Frenchmen can't grasp the only reason I mention the double slit experiment is because the Schroedinger cat is a direct mind experiment which derives from the result of the double slit experiment regarding quantum superposition's of the wave function...I have never tried to explain QM away and there is a real problem once the result of the experiment is verified a million times and can even be replicated at home with the right apparatus...
As usual the French talks nonsense...I have merely pointed out that Schroedinger fail to address a small detail in his mind experiment in regards to information about things being distinct from the things themselves, pretty much like a picture of you is distinct from you...
..after pointing that out I have done a thing that any creative genuinely curious person would have done, which is to wonder how time dilation works when you reduce to normal speeds which of course is a perfectly valid scientific question once no matter how small is the speed small time dilations are mathematically in place. How does that affects the structure of a normal object thing animal or person ? Visibly it keeps being functional, but what are the implications if we could measure it to fine detail ?
The inability of mediocre people to grasp the simplest of questions never ceases to amaze me...
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 11:33 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
It seems our Frenchmen can't grasp the only reason I mention the double slit experiment is because the Schroedinger cat is a direct mind experiment which derives from the result of the double slit experiment regarding quantum superposition's of the wave function...I have never tried to explain QM away and there is a real problem once the result of the experiment is verified a million times and can even be replicated at home with the right apparatus...
As usual the French talks nonsense...I have merely pointed out that Schroedinger fail to address a small detail in his mind experiment in regards to information about things being distinct from the things themselves, pretty much like a picture of you is distinct from you...
..after pointing that out I have done a thing that any creative genuinely curious person would have done, which is to wonder how time dilation works when you reduce to normal speeds which of course is a perfectly valid scientific question once no matter how small is the speed small time dilations are mathematically in place. How does that affects the structure of a normal object thing animal or person ? Visibly it keeps being functional, but what are the implications if we could measure it to fine detail ?
The inability of mediocre people to grasp the simplest of questions never ceases to amaze me

Hm well then, do you think time-dilation really exist?
Or have I misread your posting?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 11:36 am
@Brandon9000,
You lack of fine detail in your statements is impressive...there is no freaking stationary object molecule or atom in the entire Universe...what you call stationary is a figure of speech for negligible as relative motions at normal speeds have the smallest of small effects in time dilation to the point we simply say they don't affect macro systems but obviously any credited scientist if directly confronted with the question will immediately admit they are there and exist but are not worth the hassle once things keep functioning.
Being the case that we are stuck with a problem in the past 100 years of Physics perhaps its the case we start trying to analyse what physicists call negligible numbers to find a way out of the problem. No wonder mathematicians go crazy with the permanent tendency of physicists solve problems by neglecting small numbers.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 11:38 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
You lack of fine detail in your statements is impressive...there is no freaking stationary object molecule or atom in the entire Universe...what you call stationary is a figure of speech for negligible as relative motions at normal speeds have the smallest of small effects in time dilation to the point we simply say they don't affect macro systems but obviously any credited scientist if directly confronted with the question will immediately admit they are there and exist but are not worth the hassle once things keep functioning.
Being the case that we are stuck with a problem in the past 100 years of Physics perhaps its the case we start trying to analyse what physicists call negligible numbers to find a way out of the problem. No wonder mathematicians go crazy with the permanent tendency of physicists solve problems by neglecting small numbers.

Did you know that there ia NOT ONE SINGLE INVENTION because of
our 'modern physics'? NOT ONE!

Says something doesn'it?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 11:41 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Time dilation is proved and part of everyday life when you use GPS in your mobile phone. Atomic clocks in satellites going around in orbit have to be adjusted for time dilation so your GPS works properly without a bigger margin of error. As you can see at very slow speeds like the orbital speed of a satellite is still possible to measure the effects of time dilation hence from where my question and curiosity derives the whole thinking process I have posted in this thread so far.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 11:45 am
@Quehoniaomath,
This is not true some of our daily life objects need the knowledge of modern physicists to be applied to they can work properly I just provided you with an example in my last post. Please also note that incomplete theories are not straight "wrong"...they rather miss explain some deeper parts of the puzzle but they are based on sound scientific investigation and have practical value.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 11:54 am
More to the point if I wanted to suggest a potential solution to the QM double slit problem, which I didn't, I would have suggested particle guided by waves which is one of the most recent promising potential solutions to the problem already recreated in lab with macro spheres in a giggling surface...I didn't went there...I rather was interested in thinking about how relativity interferes with QM and how much is know on that subject. I admittedly know little hence why I did try to derive some potential interesting questions...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 11:59 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

The various parts of the cat's body are moving at infinitesimal fractions of the speed of light, and, therefore, any time dilation effects are infinitesimal. Even if they were not, what would it have to do with the fact that the system is in a superposition state, with the cat possibly dead and possibly alive? The "Schrodinger's cat" thought experiment is based on physics that has been well understood for almost a century. There is no mystery to it what happens or how it behaves. The only open questions are ones of interpretation.

Do you think that a person who has no familiarity with a scientific subject is a good judge of the more advanced areas of the subject? What are your qualifications to opine on any of this? If I gave you a very simple high school physics problem, could you solve it? Do you believe that people who cannot solve the very simplest high school physics problems should be opining with great authority about quantum mechanics?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 12:01 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

You lack of fine detail in your statements is impressive...there is no freaking stationary object molecule or atom in the entire Universe...what you call stationary is a figure of speech for negligible as relative motions at normal speeds have the smallest of small effects in time dilation to the point we simply say they don't affect micro systems but obviously any credited scientist if directly confronted with the question will immediately admit they are there and exist but are not worth the hassle once things keep functioning.

edited for correction it was meant to be written micro not macro.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 12:12 pm
@Brandon9000,
Thank you for finally admitting time dilations are there.....yes I pointed out they may be infinitesimal to a Graham's number scale in my VERY FIRST POST Bubba !

The ability to posing questions and problems should start in pre school and if you have an interesting answer other then negligible please bring it up or shut up ! Intellectually you are clearly not qualified to talk about anything I just had to spend 4 or 5 posts so you understood what I was addressing since your previous grasp of my points was a mess top to bottom...you have to do better then that Bubba !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 12:49 pm

0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 01:06 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Time dilation is proved and part of everyday life when you use GPS in your mobile phone. Atomic clocks in satellites going around in orbit have to be adjusted for time dilation so your GPS works properly without a bigger margin of error. As you can see at very slow speeds like the orbital speed of a satellite is still possible to measure the effects of time dilation hence from where my question and curiosity derives the whole thinking process I have posted in this thread so far.

provable not true at all.