appreciation and proportion = understanding and part of the book?

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 06:44 pm

Context:

Johann Gottlieb BuhleFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
For Nazi Germany military leader, see Walther Buhle.
Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Buhle, Johann Gottlieb.

Johann Gottlieb Buhle (1763–1821), German scholar and philosopher, was born at Brunswick and educated at Göttingen. He became professor of philosophy at Göttingen, Moscow (in 1804), and Brunswick. Of his numerous publications, the most important are the Handbuch der Geschichte der Philosophie (8 vols., 1796–1804), and Geschichte der neueren Philosophie (6 vols., 1800–1805). The latter, elaborate and well written, is lacking in critical appreciation and proportion; there are French and Italian translations. He edited Aratus (2 vols., 1793, 1801) and part of Aristotle (Bipontine edition, vols. I-V, 1791–1804).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 829 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 06:53 pm
You're behaving as though appreciation and proportion are, together, a set phrase, but that's not so. The operative terms are critical appreciation, and proportion. This means that the author of this biographical sketch considers that the book lacked critical appreciation, meaning that Buhle did not understand critically the works he was reviewing or the philosophy embodied in those works; and that Buhle lacked a sense of proportion, that he was not able to assign a realistic, relative value to the books or the ideas they contained.
oristarA

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You're behaving as though appreciation and proportion are, together, a set phrase, but that's not so. The operative terms are critical appreciation, and proportion. This means that the author of this biographical sketch considers that the book lacked critical appreciation, meaning that Buhle did not understand critically the works he was reviewing or the philosophy embodied in those works; and that Buhle lacked a sense of proportion, that he was not able to assign a realistic, relative value to the books or the ideas they contained.

Good, thank you.

Lacking understanding and unable to put proper value to what he read (about philosophic works), he was actually not ready for writing a book called Geschichte der neueren Philosophie (History of Modern Philosophy)?
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:18 pm
@oristarA,
I've never read anything that gentleman wrote, so i have no opinion on whether or not he ought to have written a book on the subject. It appears that the author of the biographical sketch did not think he was qualified to do so.
oristarA

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I've never read anything that gentleman wrote, so i have no opinion on whether or not he ought to have written a book on the subject. It appears that the author of the biographical sketch did not think he was qualified to do so.

It's crystal clear now.

Thanks.
0 Replies