Boehner to face Tea Party opposition at home?

JPB

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:22 am
Quote:
The private April 25 meeting was convened by the Speaker of the House of Representatives at the request of Tea Party leaders, who were seething over recent Republican compromises, most notably on the 2011 budget.

One of the 25 or so leaders, all from Boehner's district, asked him if Republicans would raise America's $14.3 trillion debt limit. According to half a dozen attendees interviewed by Reuters, the most powerful Republican in Washington said "yes."

"And we're going to have to raise it again in the future," he added. With the mass retirement of America's Baby Boomers, he explained, it would take 20 years to balance the U.S. budget and 30 years after that to erase the nation's huge fiscal deficit.

That answer incensed many of the Tea Party activists, for whom raising the debt limit is anathema.

"You could have knocked me out of my chair," said Denise Robertson, a computer programer who belongs to the Preble County Liberty Group. "Fifty years?"

She said "my fantasy now" is someone will challenge Boehner in the 2012 Republican primaries. "If we could find someone good to run against him, I'd campaign for them every day," Robertson said. More

It's going to be very interesting to watch traditional Republicans face Tea Party leaders. This mess was 50 years in the making. A 50 year resolution sounds about right. I disagree completely with who should bear the pain of that resolution - pushing it onto our children who didn't vote for a single person doesn't sit right with me, but neither does pulling the whole rug out from underneath the house of cards.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 968 • Replies: 0
No top replies