(revised version) >>> as amended?

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 11:52 pm
Can "The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea of 1974 (revised version)" be expressed as "The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea of 1974, as amended" in a sentence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 555 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 02:49 am
Not necessarily--you'd need more information. It would be possible to revise the text of the document without changing its provisions. To amend means to change, and in the case of something statutory such as this, it would almost certainly change definitions of violations, or provisions for the application of legal remedies. In this case, revised could simply mean that the text has been edited to make the document's terms more clear in the language in which it is presented.

Without more information about the document, it would not be possible to state whether or not the revision is in the nature of amendment. I'm sure someone clever can do an online search and make up their own mind about it, but i don't go to those lengths for such a question.
oristarA

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 08:20 am
@Setanta,
Thank you.

0 Replies