but = only?

oristarA

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 07:33 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Hello and good morning from New York!

Okay. Before this gets more out of hand, let me be clear. I am not promoting the idea of removing "do", I was just pointing out that, in English, in certain circumstances, the use of 'do' is meaningless, it just adds rhythm to the sentences. It's fun, at least for me, to think about stuff like that. It's what drew me to the question about BUT OristarA asked to begin this thread.

As for the idea of Standard English, I am one of those English speakers who is very glad we do not all speak to each other as if we were reading the news on television. (A speaker from the British Isle might say that sentence as "I am very glad indeed we ...." . Indeed is another one of the empathizers in English. What meaning does it add? Oh, well. enough of that.)

OristarA: My apologies to you for posting that joke. You understand it pretty well, but it's it's sillier than how you say it, maybe I can make it clearer. (That's a big maybe.)

Someone once said explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog; you understand it better, but the frog dies. So now, I will try to explain a joke. Good luck, OristarA!! Good luck, frog!

The joke is a silly contrast between the supposed words of two very serious philosophers, Kant and Voltaire and (this you did not know) Frank Sinatra, who was a pop music singer a few years ago. A seriously good singer, but not a serious philosophical person.

It's a play on the words DO and BE.
First, we have the very serious Philosophers supposedly saying "Be all and do" and "Do all and be" then, for the punchline, we add the not serious at all singer who at the end of one of his songs sings: "Doo be doo be doo." which are nonsense words.

So, it's:
Supposed very serious words.
Supposed very serious words.
Silly nonsense words.

Voltaire : Be all and do!
Kant: Do all and be!
Sinatra: Doo be doo be doo.

Get it? How's the frog doing?
Hey, I found the song : http://youtu.be/rDA33hGFNgQ
Listen at 2:22 near the end.
See? He's just making up words to finish the song.

Another try:
It's as if you had two of your best poets come out on a stage.
Each one reads one of their most beautiful verses.
Everyone is quiet, thinking.
Then out onto the stage comes another man.
He walks to the microphone.
Waits just a moment.

Then he makes a sound like a duck quacking, a baby crying and a car horn.

(I don't know. Would Chinese people think that was funny??)

It is always a pleasure for me to read your writing, OristarA, and to try to answer your questions.
Joe(I promise. No more jokes!)Nation

Got it! It's surely funny ===>>> From being serious and silent (every one present is racking their brains) and all of a sudden, someone comes up with something very similar but actually very different description (especially springs up with a naive and silly answer) , which will produce a funny effect (because the lock of the audience's mind suddenly slips and so they burst into laughter).

The skill has been used all the while in Chinese classic works (like A Dream of Red Mansions).

The try about poets is far more easier to understand. It is like the joke below:
Quote:
The National Poetry Contest had come down to two semifinalists: a Yale graduate and a redneck from Wyoming. They were given a word, then allowed two minutes to study the word and come up with a poem that contained the word. The word they were given was "Timbuktu".

First to recite his poem was the Yale graduate. He stepped to the microphone and said:

Slowly across the desert sand
Trekked a lonely caravan.
Men on camels, two by two
Destination---Timbuktu.
The crowd went crazy! No way could the redneck top that, they thought. The redneck calmly made his way to the microphone and recited:

Me and Tim a-huntin went,
Met three whores in a pop up tent.
They was three, and we was two,
So I bucked one, and Timbuktu.

Oh poor Sinatra, he's the redneck.

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 08:31 am
@oristarA,
I love it!!!

Joe(very funny!)Nation
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 08:40 am

The way I heard it was:

Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: nobody laughs, and the frog dies.

We were talking this morning, and I said something about my nephew flipping burgers, and my wife thought I said "flipping burquas", and we had a good laugh imagining him going round lifting ladies' veils and saying "Coo-ee!"
panzade

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 08:46 am
@McTag,
<chuckle>
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 09:37 am
@McTag,
heh heh. So, that's what you say when you are lifting lady's veil.
Coo-ee!

And, on a side note, the Internet has destroyed us. When I went looking for that 'frog' quote to see who said it, the results, instead of being clear, were mixed. Maybe it was E.B. White, maybe it was Mark Twain,........ really? grrrr. Three more searches revealed it was indeed Mr. White.
I know, I am remembering the days when we went to an actual library, went to the reference room and flipped through the pages of Bartlett's big fat book to find such an answer. Today, if someone puts some bogus information on their blog, it shows up in a search results list.
"Let us go across the river and rest in the shade"--Grover Cleveland.
There, that will screw up some sophomore's mid-term paper.
Joe(Coo-ee)Nation
oristarA

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 10:48 pm
@Joe Nation,

What does "coo-ee" mean? Sounds an exclamation for exciting or what?
McTag

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 02:01 am
@oristarA,

It's something you might shout to get someone's attention.
oristarA

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 03:03 am
@McTag,
Thanks
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 12:34 pm
@Joe Nation,
To Jo (number 2 on the search engine) Nation

I've just googled it and you were second after storywrite.com,but still two places above Wikipedia. I wanna have a go.

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. Benito Mussolini.

After I've posted it I'm googling it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 12:43 pm
@izzythepush,
I got to page 21 and gave up. You win Jo (still no. 2 on google) Nation

Regards izzy(I don't know where the **** I am on google buts it's after twenty-one ******* pages)thepush
0 Replies