So conflicted..please help

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:15 pm
This is a really long story but I will try to sum it up. Pretty much my ex was my first bf we dated when we were both 15, and regardless of his reputation (he slept around a lot) I still gave him a shot. We did not date for that long however, I fell in love with him (maybe it was because I was so young). When he broke up with me because of our fights I was completely destroyed. The years went by and I was dating this guy for 3 years but I broke up with him because I realized I was still in love with my ex lets call him "j". I was single for a while but I could never get my mind off J...and it hurt so bad because I couldnt tell anyone because no one would understand why I was still in love with a guy that I dated only for a couple of months. J and I live in the same neighbourhood and his reputation is really bad (he slept with over 150-200 girls, literally every girl) which is ironic because I am a feminist and you'd never think I would be in love with someone like that. About 5 years later after our breakup we built a friendship and got really close...I became one of his guy friends and he would invite me to every outing, and I got really close to his family (me his sister and mom always hang out) . We remained friends for about a year ( I never told him directly that I still loved him because I knew he would never wanna settle down). A year and a half ago I met my boyfriend now and for once after a long time I was happy, but I would still hang out with "j" because of our friendship. My boyfriend and I have had problems for the past 6 months because he is so much older than me and he is still really immature for his age and does not know what he wants to do in life...although he is a fantastic bf in terms of taking me out, cooking for me, complimenting me...I just can't get over my ex...and I realized that I love my bf but I am not in love with him the way I am with "J"...J is my everything...I have been in love with him for 7 years...I know all his secrets and his traits...and I still love everything about him....J tells me he loves me and that im his best gf, and we have sleepovers in which he wont ever make a move...and that confuses me because he will sleep with anyone...So about 2 months ago I decided I would break up with my bf, and tell J how I feel...when I told him he looked upset....and told me that he does not want a gf and he wants to have fun...I was not expecting him to tell me he is in love with me but at that time I was glad to let it out....after that I crossed him out for a few weeks and tried avoiding him, and in the meantime my bf won me over.
Today..I am back to where I started...hanging out with J everyday hearing about his promiscuous sex life.....and still dating my boyfriend. I feel super guilty because J and I always flirt and he always tries to joke around and hold my hand and hug me....and none of my friends or family know because no one understands. I have never cheated on my bf but this alone i feel is emotionally cheating....I feel bad for my current bf but I feel like for once in my life I want to play on the safe side....J knows about my bf and I and our issues....and I know everything in his life...I am still so in love with him and my heart skips a beat every time he is around...it has been 7 years and somehow the thought of J has continued to ruin my relationships.....I want this to go away so bad...but for some reason I feel like one day he will come around....it hurts to hear him talk about other girls or at times even bring them around me...I would flip out if my bf ever looked at another girl but when J does it its okay because at the end of the day I am his favourite girl (how f*cked up --I know). I don't know what to do...I don't want to be 40 years old and still be stuck in this situation. I feel like I will never completely move on...I mean I can settle and God knows I have tried dating ( 2 long terms after him)...but the only guy I have been in love with him and im talking about true love where you think about them 24/7 and love their every inch and every flaw is J...and I just don't know what to do...our friendship does not make sense to anyone not even his friends...his guy friends (who are now my good friends) come up to me and ask me if we will get married and that just messes with my head more....I don't know if all this waiting will get me what I want or not...what if he sincerely never wants to be with me....? he says im beautiful but he never makes a move...HELPP!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 842 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 02:03 pm
@soc101y1,
Sorry..but a giant block of text like that with almost no punctuation I find to be unreadable.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 05:08 pm
@soc101y1,
I would suggest that you read a book called 'The Art of Seduction' by Robert Greene. Rather than being about seduction per se, it is a very intelligent, articulate book about human flaws in the sexual realm - and how those flaws have been used to create 'slaves' of people. In other words - it is a very creepy and disturbing book (because none of us like admitting these sort of flaws), and the 'slaves' are referred to as 'victims'. It is a very eye openning book for anyone in your situation, and usually you find a story example matching your particular weaknesses.

You can find it on Amazon with a million reviews - many attacking it (believing it can be used to 'enslave' people), some supporting it (some wanting to 'enslave' people)....and a few that say 'you need to be aware of these things, so that you don't fall victim to it yourself'.

There's a lot of other discussions that can help you understand this, but take a while to explain. The concept of 'social proof' is one. Evolutionary genetics is another (ie the biological drives that attract women to bad boys). Self esteem is another.

0 Replies

MichellePerez1027

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 09:31 pm
@soc101y1,
you already made your move...there is nothing more you can do besides wait around. Who wants to do that?And it will prob b a long wait from how you say he is. I believe you staying close friends with him and his "you are my best girl" stuff is giving you false hope. You are going to have to break ties with him slowly, otherwise you can never be truly happy with your bf or any1 else. You will think about him from time to time but it wont be enough to make you leave your bf again.....i had a pretty similar situation and after 6months of no-contact i felt nothing extreme. i still wonder the infamous "what if..." but thats about it. There will always be a "what if" tho. Remember that
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 05:58 am
I think you're fixated on him, frankly, and you should do yourself a favour and get out of his life. I think your obsession with him is potentially ruining any possible relationship, and he's just not that into you, so it's hopeless. Why would you think you love this guy after dating him for 2 months and knowing how immature and promiscuous he is? What do you see in him? Not that I want to know, Ragman was right - it was painful to read your block of type to figure out your problem... I'm just putting these questions out there for you.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:06 am
Lots of things going on . . .

He is over-sexed, unattainable, and keeps you at a distance - therefore very exciting to you. Those "bad boys" can be very seductive. Do you want him simply because you can't have him?

After all this time, it's clear that he "loves" you but is not "in love" with you.

In fact, he does not seem capable of being "in love" with anyone, since he has never settled down. He's a Peter Pan - just likes to flit around, doing all he can, with whomever he can He even enjoys telling you about all his conquests!! Ye gads, girl!!! Talk about being in your face.

(And by the way, the fact that he is downright promiscous is concerning from a health point.)

You need to sit down with a female counselor and figure out WHAT you want in a partner. You are in a relatinship with two extremes.

Get to know yourself.
0 Replies

melisawilson

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 12:51 am
@soc101y1,
You are going absolutely wrong being with two guys at a time. It is not fair with your current boyfriend You are unfair with him and just for your selfish sake are fooling him around. Its okay if you love J, it is something that could be digested but you instead of having a boyfriend are playing around with J is something that I could have never handled. Hats off to your current boyfriend! If you really need a good life, then its better to part with Mr. J as he don't wants to get settled. He only wants to have fun. he likes you, the reason why he don't wants to make a move with you. As to whom a guy likes, do not want to hurt ever. Because J knows that he would never marry you, he doesn't want you to get involved with him, because he knows that it will only give you pain.
0 Replies