Don't Mess with My Oreos

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 06:57 pm
I had forgotten all about Chuckles, even when Boida was talking about them, until i saw that picture. I loved Chuckles--i'd gladly have murdered for Chuckles. I'll bet i haven't though about them or even seen them in more than 40 years.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:13 pm
@Roberta,
I thought I remembered seeing them at Walgreens. I googled chuckles wal and walmart autofilled. Apparently you can get them at Walmart in a tub. They don't show up in a search at walgreens.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 08:31 pm
Looks like you can buy them on Amazon, or a site called old time candy (and some others, those were the first 2 I noticed).

I think we should all chip in and buy Boida a case.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 09:09 pm
I no longer have a regular food ritual, but as a child I was fascinated by some colorful shrimp chips that came from our local chinese take-out place. They were deep fried, brightly colored rice chips that tasted like shrimp. I thought they were beautiful. No one else in my family seemed to care about them and I coveted them like Golem and his ring. I would be very stealth about sneaking out of our dining room with the white waxy bag and hiding them in my Barbie townhouse. Each day, before I brushed my teeth for bed, I would eat one or two. This would go on for a couple of weeks until that started to taste stale or I ran out. A few years ago, I found these chips in a Chinese grocery. They are just as pretty pre-fried as fried. I cooked them up and was overwhelmed by memories the moment I tasted them. It was like being 7 years old again. Now I'm going to go look for them on-line.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 09:12 pm
Shrimp Chips!
http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/images/shrimpchips_chips.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 09:13 pm
@Green Witch,
I love shrimp chips.

They're one of the things I don't love to prepare at home as you need really good ventilation to get the smell out of the house.

I love shrimp chips.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 10:59 pm
1. There ain't no Walmart's in NYC. I'm not going to Noo Joisey for a piece of candy.

2. The closest Walgreens is in midtown. I'm not gonna schlep miles for a piece of candy. I suspect that there are Chuckles somewhere in my neighborhood. I just don't know where.

3. Chai, thanks for the charitable thought. A CASE!!! Don't want a whole case. Want one steenkin' Chuckle (red). My teeth are already in enough of a mess.

Green Witch, I like those shrimp chips too. Never hoarded them, though. And there were no Barbie dolls when I was growing up. So I didn't have a Barbie dollhouse to stash anything in. I had my places though.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:17 pm
@Roberta,
there's nothing but walmarts in boofoo kansas.

I'll see if I can find some chuckles to ship with benjamin and the solomon seal.

youz got me curious now.

never hadda chuckle before...
Roberta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:20 pm
@Rockhead,
We've all had a lowercase chuckle (even me). I want a capital Chuckle.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:24 pm
@Roberta,
I searched wally's site.

not available in the midwest...

I'll keep looking.
0 Replies

PhoebeKate

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:47 pm
Sundae! With my spoon, I dig a little hole at a side of the vanilla ice cream. The cherry on the top goes to the bottom. To soak in the chocolate syrup sliding at the sides of the sundae glass. While I finish off the ice cream, the cherry awaits in gooey chocolate splendor. Then I pop it.. Yummm!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 01:05 am
@ossobuco,
Perfec squares, and deeply scored in case some slick talker conned you into sharing. As if!
Irishk

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 09:55 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I remember those - I liked them. Of course, I forget the name. The one I'm thinking of was square, in a foil wrapper.

Yes! Red and silver foil wrappers...a bargain at less than $1 and taste way expensive! Hard to find but I managed to make a concoction once that was pretty close.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 09:56 am
@roger,
Yep. Luckily I married a man who isn't crazy about chocolate (as if I'd share anyways).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:00 pm
@roger,
Irishk

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:16 pm
@JPB,
A nickel? Did he say a nickel? Ah...the good old days!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 04:49 am
I've looked in six different places. No Chuckles. What a woild.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 03:10 pm
Discovered another weirdness. Forgot all about it.

I found some Hostess cupcakes at the pharmacy. Hadn't had any in a long time. Bought a box.

Milk and cookie time.

I found myself peeling off the top icing and putting it aside. I ate the cupcake and then ate the icing separately. I did this for every cupcake without thinking about it. But it was essential. I couldn't bite into the cupcake until the icing was off.

Clearly a holdover from childhood.

Who knows what other weirdnesses lurk.
dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 04:27 pm
@Roberta,
Only the shadow knows.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:47 pm

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/ore-O.jpg
0 Replies