Don't Mess with My Oreos

aidan

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 10:55 am
@aidan,
And when I eat spaghetti, always at home, because I don't buy things like pancakes and spaghetti in restaurants as I make them at home all the time - I always eat my spaghetti first and then I pour my salad from my little side salad bowl into the plate with whatever tomato sauce remains from the spaghetti and eat that last- with no accompanying salad dressing.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 11:06 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

But lining up M&Ms in order by color and eating them in that order is a ritual. Do I do this? No. But I know someone who used

I didn't realize we had met Roberta.

I would visit my Grandmother every day while she watched her soaps.

I'd get my snack size bag on m&m's and separate out all the colors. Below are the original m&m colors, and the only acceptable ones.

http://www.tomasinoblog.com/images/tan-mm.jpg

I'd eat the dark brown ones first, as there were always the most of them. The tan ones were ALWAYS saved for last, as they were the rarest.

Chip A'hoy were always eaten in groups of 5, always dunked.

JPB, when you eat around the clock, do you save your favorite food for last, or eat it first?

I always save a bite of the best food for that final bite.

When I was a kid, McDonalds was a rare treat. Just the hamburgers and cheeseburgers existed. I liked the hamburgers best. I'd have to eat around the bun, eating JUST the bread. Then I'd nibble around again, getting a bit of bread and meat. There had to be a small bite all around that had bit into the meat. I could be less careful after that, then, the last bite had to be a small round miniature burger, with meat, bread, condiments and pickle all there, to be popped into my mouth.
Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 11:58 am
The light brown M&Ms taste best . . . i save them for last.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:01 pm
The pizza in my hometown is a somewhat thin but very rigid crust, with a very thick layer of cheese and toppings. These pizzas are cut diagonal in what is known as the "Chicago party cut" so that you get 4 corners 8 edge and 4 all interior pieces. I take a corner piece, put red pepper on in it, and eat the topping only. Then I take the left over crust and add parm cheese and red pepper, and eat it. I then follow the same pattern for an edge piece, and then a center cut (if the family has not eaten them all, as some people like the center cuts best and given that there are only 4 they seem to go fast). Lots of beer is normally consumed in this process.

EDIT: I have not lived near Chicago since 1986 and I have had a very difficult time finding good pizza as we move around for the Army, so I recreate at home what I like. When I have this at home I now add an anchovie fillet to the crust piece, OMG this is good.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 12:05 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

JPB, when you eat around the clock, do you save your favorite food for last, or eat it first?

I always save a bite of the best food for that final bite.

I eat it first. As a kid I would sit at the table for hours in order to avoid eating the things I didn't like. Now I only fix things I want to eat so I don't have that problem, but I still go from most liked down to least.
Roberta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:03 pm
What a buncha weirdos. (That's a compliment.) I'm loving this.

And the dark brown M&Ms were the best. I didn't eat them overall in any particular order. But I did save the dark browns for last. Jelly beans? I like the black ones. Always last. Did I say I didn't have any more food rituals. Wrong.

This is going to require some careful rumination.

Buncha weirdos.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:07 pm
@Roberta,
Jelly beans, I'd reject the black ones, never have liked licorice as candy. But then that's taste for you.

I haven't come up with any rituals of my own yet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:08 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
And the dark brown M&Ms were the best.

Heretic
chai2

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:11 pm
@JPB,
hmmm... that always seemed to me like you ruined your meal by not having your favorite thing being the last thing you ate.

I don't make things I don't like anymore, or if I make it because someone else likes it, I don't feel obligated to take some. However, I still save what is best on that particular plate for last.

Does anyone else do this?

Also, eating what you didn't like got it out of the way. One of the few things I absolutely couldn't get down was green beans. I just finished reading the book "Room" by Emma Donoghue, which is from the perspective of a 5 year old. At one point he thinks "Green beans are my enemy food." I couldn't agree more.

New signature line I think.
Roberta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:11 pm
@Setanta,
Heresy shmeresy. I'm an independent-minded person. You go your way with the light browns, I'll go mine with the dark ones. I prefer dark to milk chocolate.

When I was a little Roberta, I ate exactly as JPB describes. One thing on the plate at a time. I always went for the best thing first. Forestalled the inevitable as long as I could. Maybe I'd be full. You can't eat any more, well, you can't eat any more.

Green beans didn't bother me especially. I was simply not a green food fan.
chai2

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:21 pm
@Roberta,
Forestalling the inevitable always makes me uneasy. I know it's out there looming.

Get it done and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

If you're full and there's good food left, that's a snack for later!
Roberta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:24 pm
@chai2,
Aha, chai. Not so much a ritual as a revelation. You choose to deal with what you don't like. I just hope it will go away.
Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:26 pm
I can't think of any food we were served that i didn't like . . . i just preferred some over the others. I'm a save the best for last guy . . . so i had no troubles at meal time . . . as long as the food didn't touch . . .
chai2

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:29 pm
@Roberta,
I was thinking of starting a thread of this, about forestalling the inevitable, and you brought up a point. In general, I don't believe in hoping. It never changes a thing.

But, that's for another thread.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:31 pm
@Setanta,
What a good boy you were, set. No eating problems. Your mother must have been thrilled.

I was a picky eater. I hated being called that. Not that I wasn't a picky eater. I just didn't think there was anything wrong with it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:33 pm
@chai2,
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--xOwf6lMSxI/Tatpq0z4llI/AAAAAAAAA8Y/e4nMv0l51E4/s1600/smarties.jpg

I put them in pairs.

I eat the pairs until there is an even number of pairs of all colours.

If there are any singletons at this stage, I eat them.

Then back to the pairs, until there is only one pair in each colour.

Then it goes to colour preference, with the most valuable red and orange smarties eaten last.

I don't have Smarties very often. It takes too long to do all that organizing.
Roberta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:37 pm
Did I open a can of woims here or what?

Bethie, You made me laugh out loud. So did himself.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:40 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
. . as long as the food didn't touch . . .

explains why you're not a big fan of the one-pot meal
chai2

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 02:28 pm
@ehBeth,
holy christ, even me w/ my ocd didn't get all that.

How can you have any singletons if you eat the samrties in pairs?

That reminds me of the way I read the last half of a book.

I don't want to be caught unawares that I'm at the end of a book (believe me, it happens) I want to know that in 2 more pages, everythings going to get tied up, or at least left hanging on that last page.

So, when I'm past the middle of the book, I count the number of pages to the end, then I count back the same number of pages from where I'm reading. I put my index finger in that place, and every time I turn a paged, I flip forward two pages with my index finger. That way, I can tell by the thickness of the pages on the left side, how much more I've got to read. When I really near the end, I'll count the pages between where I am, and where my left index finger is stuck, and say "I've got to turn 10 more pages"

So there smarty girl, I'm index finger girl.
jespah

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 02:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Corn on the cob must be eaten carefully. This involves going down one row, all the way to the cob. Then, I can, using my lower teeth, get the next row, and so on. I leave very little corn on a cob.

I, too, would eat Smarties and M & Ms by color. Tan M & Ms always went last, as did purple Smarties. No reason of rarity or taste -- it was just the law.

I also eat the best food last (so that you keep the memory of it after you're done eating).