"a well-laid fire"

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 11:06 am
can anyone tell me what is "a well-laid fire"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,012 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 11:13 am
You don't provide us any context. However, assuming that the expression well-laid fire is meant literally, and not figuratively, it means a fire the fuel of which has been carefully laid out so that air is drawn through it efficiently and the fire burns evenly.

This image shows various ways of piling fuel so that a fire draws air through the fuel well:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/figures/fig7-5.gif
jeremykong

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 11:19 am
@Setanta,
thank you, Setanta
contrex

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 12:54 pm
@jeremykong,
He's reading another one of those Sherlock Holmes fan fiction stories. Sherlock Holmes and the King’s Evil by Donald Thomas.

Quote:
Lestrade shot him a glance, shook his head, and lit the cigar which had been offered him.

“We could make very little of them. They appear to have been Russian, rather than German, but then so is half the population of that area. They call themselves Anarchists but, to tell the truth, their real enemies are the brutes who persecuted and ill-used them back in Russia. A few of them may be criminals born. The rest have no cause for a quarrel with us.”

“Precisely,” said Holmes, “and the born criminals are those who now seem to have slipped through your fingers.”

The well-laid fire is a bit further on.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 01:45 pm
@jeremykong,
Quote:
can anyone tell me what is "a well-laid fire"?

The normal neutral with these indirect questions, Jeremy, is to only have one question marker.

can anyone tell me what [is ] "a well-laid fire" is?

We sometimes do maintain a "double marked" question but it seems to be in situations where the speaker intends a greater emphasis.
jeremykong

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 05:42 pm
@JTT,
Thanks for pointing out that, JTT
0 Replies