Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,939 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 02:26 am
there is a childrens rhyme that goes
Chinese, Japanese
dirty knees
look at these!
Along with each part of the rhyme the child will make a face they consider to represent a Chinese or japanese face then in time with the rhyme point at their knees.
At the conclusion of the rhyme the child will lift their shirt or show off underpants. Of course there is nothing to show but children think it funny.
I suspect the advertisement is directed at drawing attention to the womans breasts.
I have no idea why this would appear on a billboard. As with the lawyer advertisement I believe this is not a real advertisement.

The childrens rhyme is not considered insulting or intended to be insulting but is probably in poor taste.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 02:35 am
Along with DP, i don't understand the point of the advertisement, but i don't believe that it is intended to be insulting. You have misread the calligraphy, it reads "Japanese." Among children speaking the American language, one would say: "Chinese, Japanese, American knees." It is one of the innocently stereotyped things which is only offensive if one ignores that it is a children's rhyme.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 03:01 am
It is cleared.
Thank you both.
Ceili

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 01:00 pm
@oristarA,
On the off chance that this really does say Lapanese... it could be an ad for a strip club where Lap dancing is featured. Thus the play on words.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 01:49 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
It is cleared.

This isn't idiomatic English, Ori.

It is clear to me now./It has been cleared up./I'm clear on it now.
0 Replies