down =?

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:49 am

Context:

Michael Barnett-Cowan at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics in Tübingen, Germany, and colleagues showed 15 volunteers an image of an object tilted to the right and asked them to judge whether it was about to topple. Volunteers lying on their left side were more likely to say it was than were volunteers lying on their right side (PLoS One, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0019289).

We perceive which way is down via the effect of gravity on the inner ear's vestibular system combined with visual information and a sense of the body's position. When we are upright, these senses are aligned, but when the head is tilted they clash.

More:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21028115.000-a-sideways-look-suggests-leaning-tower-will-topple.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 629 • Replies: 10
No top replies

JTT

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 09:21 am
@oristarA,
'down' is the direction a dropped object would go, Ori.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 09:27 am
@oristarA,
Down is towards the ground, up is towards the sky.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:13 am
@contrex,
Quote:

Accept when you're piloting small planes and such. Some test pilots have become disoriented at times and in a freak of confusion find themselves flying upside down and not realize that is the case until they notice their plane control displays which indicate that what they thought was the ground was in fact the sky and vice versa.

A similar confusion can be said when one is in free fall and/or out in space where gravity isn't a factor.

Down is an innate understanding or possible perception where one believes the ground should be as directed by the pull of gravity on ones senses.
oristarA

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 09:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Quote:

Accept when you're piloting small planes and such. Some test pilots have become disoriented at times and in a freak of confusion find themselves flying upside down and not realize that is the case until they notice their plane control displays which indicate that what they thought was the ground was in fact the sky and vice versa.

A similar confusion can be said when one is in free fall and/or out in space where gravity isn't a factor.

Down is an innate understanding or possible perception where one believes the ground should be as directed by the pull of gravity on ones senses.

Excellent!

Thank you.

Thank you all.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 09:47 pm
Now that that's all cleared up...

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:04 pm
My chickens have down on them.
Twisted Evil

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:46 pm
I've been feeling down in the dumps lately, probably because of all my down time.
oristarA

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:01 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I've been feeling down in the dumps lately, probably because of all my down time.

I've just passed the unpleasant period (less than two days) and now feel good.

You may figure out the exact down time in every month (or in every quarter in a year).
panzade

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 09:23 am
@oristarA,

What my ex wife used to say Very Happy
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 09:39 am
That's down-right funny... Wink
0 Replies