"I'll lay your **** bare"

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:50 am
Please let me know if I'm on the right track. If you lay someone's **** bare, does it mean that you're going to tell people someone's bad things? I mean, to reveal the bad side of someone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 30,624 • Replies: 15
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:55 am
@marciafernandes,
yes
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 08:31 pm
@marciafernandes,
It doesn't have to extend to a tell all about the person, Marcia. It could be that you are going to expose one thing, like one lie that that person told.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 03:10 pm

What a singularly infelicitous phrase.
0 Replies

11ryet

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:03 am
If this is in response to ADELE's "Rolling in the Deep," you have the lyric wrong. That lyric is "I'll lay your ship bare." The song itself is a big boating metaphor.

Aside from that, yes, those definitions are correct for your phrasing.
Shu Shilly

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:37 pm
@11ryet,
If the lyric is "ship bare" then why do they edit it on the radio?
00juls00

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 12:38 pm
@Shu Shilly,
because they know people think it's "****." even though it's not, they don't want hate calls.
dbtp1029

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 02:43 am
@00juls00,
Wow, you must really be stupid. Radio does not run on what people think a song says at all. They don't just bleep out a word now and again just because someone may think that it is a swear. They lyrics are indeed "I'll lay your **** bare." Adele, herself, has even said so in interviews. She changes it to ship for american media because of our censorship laws. In many of her live performances in the US, she even says "I'll lay your stuff bare." Obviously covering for the word "****" for the appropriate crowd. The internet is quite the resource when you use it correctly.
puckeylut

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 10:31 pm
@dbtp1029,
I think you calling someone stupid is hilarious! Adele has not said in interviews she's swearing. The song, "Rolling in the Deep" is about the sea. If any stations bleep that part it's a mistake on their part. I live in a very conservative area and it has never been bleeped the millions of times it's been played. So check your resources. And here's a quote from Adele's website, "It is "I'll lay your SHIP bare" it's a nautical / shipbuilding term that means "To decommission a ship or remove it from service". They remove all of the fittings and rigging and whatnot and "lay" the ship in dry-dock. The fittings are all very valuable and can generally be re-used. When a ship has been treated / decommissioned this way, it is said to have been "Laid bare"." This obviously makes more sense than leaving one's "****" bare.
tebarron

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 10:41 pm
@puckeylut,
Dude, are you a freaking moron or what? How on Earth can you possibly think that "Rolling in the Deep" is about the sea? Have you ever listened to it? It's a song about a woman who has cheated on or who has been dumped. There is NO hidden metaphor about rolling waves or the sea. Let's look a little closer:

"There's a fire starting in my heart, Reaching a fever pitch, and it's bringing me out the dark. Finally, I can see you crystal clear"
Translation - My hearts on fire because of you cheating/dumping me and I can see things clearly now.

"Go ahead and sell me out, and I'll lay your **** bare"
Definition: "Sell me out" means to betray someone; to reveal damaging information about someone. "Lay bare" means to expose or clarify something, to reveal, uncover.
Translation: Betray me and I am going to tell the world the truth about your cheating ways.

"See how I'll leave with every piece of you, Don't underestimate the things that I will do."
Translation: Go ahead and betray me and I will own you ass.

"Baby, I have no story to be told, But I've heard one on you, now I'm gonna make your head burn. Think of me in the depths of your despair. Make a home down there as mine sure won't be shared."
Translation: I have nothing to hide but I've just learned an interesting story about you and when I tell all your life will be a living Hell.

"You'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you sow"
Definition: Pay in kind - payment for goods or services with a medium other than legal tender.
Reap what you sow - means everything that happens to you is a result of your own actions aka Karma is a bitch. Translation: Your suffering when I expose you for the jerk you are will be my payment for you cheating on me and that everything comes full circle.

"The scars of your love remind me of us, They keep me thinking that we almost had it all. The scars of your love, they leave me breathless.
Translation: The love I had for you left me breathless but now the scars you left me with leave me breathless. I thought our love was perfect, until....

The song has nothing to do with putting a ship in dry dock, the sea or rolling waves. Jeesh! Have none of you seen the video or heard the pain in Adele’s voice. At 23 this woman has loved and been hurt, bad, and that is what most of the album “21” is about.

ravenevil23

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 12:38 am
It will be interesting to find out what it really means...I mean there is so many different answers on here that the answer is still a mystery.
lia2012

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 06:33 am
@ravenevil23,
I guess the best answer is puckeylut's. The lyrics is full of metaphors.
0 Replies

TALULA1060

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 04:52 pm
Hi all,
The person who referenced Adele's website stating that it was a ship metaphor was actually referencing the message board on the website. Some fan wrote all of that about her opinion of what the song means. However, here's what Adele herself actually said about the song's meaning:

On this revenge song, Adele lays into a former boyfriend. "It's me making a bit of a statement," she told Q Magazine. "People will hear it and go, Wow, she ain't mucking around."

Adele described the song to Spin Magazine as a kiss-off to an unfaithful dude. "It's me saying, 'Get the f--- out of my house instead of me begging him to come back. It's my reaction to being told my life was going be boring and lonely and rubbish, and that I was a weak person if I didn't stay in a relationship," she said. "I wrote it as a sort of 'F--k you.'"

She goes on:
Adele could have called this song "We Could Have Had It All," but that would have been fairly typical and sound like something Whitney Houston would sing. Instead, she used another line in the chorus that is curious to American listeners, adding some intrigue to the song. So what does the phrase "Rolling In The Deep" mean? She described it to Rolling Stone as an, "adaptation of a kind of slang, slur phrase in the UK called 'roll deep,' which means to have someone, always have someone that has your back, and you're never on your own, if you're ever in trouble you've always got someone who's going to come and help you fight it or whatever like that. And that's how I felt in the relationship that the record's about, especially 'Rolling in the Deep.' That's how I felt, you know, I thought that's what I was always going to have, and um, it ended up not being the case."

As you can see, it has NOTHING to do with ships or boating. But that was a really interesting interpretation of it. Smile
0 Replies

tebarron

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 12:40 am
@marciafernandes,
Does his best Grace Adler told ya so song and dance.
♫ Told ya so, told ya so. Told ya, told ya, told ya so. ♪♪
0 Replies

nateriver

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:11 pm
@marciafernandes,
In the sentence, we could have had it all, what does 'IT' mean? what is that the 'it'?
0 Replies

nateriver

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:15 pm
@tebarron,
wow thank you, Thansks to you, I can understand the lyric now. But I wonder sth. In the sentence, we could have had it all, what does 'IT' mean?? what is that, the 'it'?
0 Replies