op. = what? cit. = citation?

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 06:44 pm

Context:

Dumping toxins on the Third World

In the aftermath of the most recent unnecessary Pandemic declaration of a global H1N1 swine flu emergency, industrial countries were left sitting on hundreds of millions of doses of untested vaccines. They decided to get rid of the embarrassing leftover drugs by handing them over to the WHO which in turn plans to dump them for free on select poor countries. France has given 91 million of the 94 million doses the Sarkozy government bought from the pharma giants; Britain gave 55 million of its 60 million doses. The story for Germany and Norway is similar.5

1 Bill Gates, “Innovating to Zero!, speech to the TED2010 annual conference, Long Beach, California, February 18, 2010, accessed here

2 Telegraph.co.uk, Bill Gates makes $10 billion vaccine pledge, London Telegraph, January 29, 2010, accessed here

3 Louise Voller, Kristian Villesen, WHO Donates Millions of Doses of Surplus Medical Supplies to Developing countries, Danish Information, 22 December 2009, accessed here

4 One is the Population Research Institute in Washington

5 Louise Voller et al, op. cit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,406 • Replies: 8
No top replies

George

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 06:58 pm
It's an abbreviation of the Latin opus citatum, "work cited".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 07:16 pm
Op. cit. means "already cited" in English for academic purposes.

Quote:
3 Louise Voller, Kristian Villesen, WHO Donates Millions of Doses of Surplus Medical Supplies to Developing countries, Danish Information, 22 December 2009, accessed here

4 One is the Population Research Institute in Washington

5 Louise Voller et al, op. cit.

For anyone familiar with academic citations in English, seeing "op. cit." tells them to look for an earlier citation under that name. So, Louise Voller et al, op. cit. means "Louise Voller and others, already cited." The English-speaking academician, or student clever enough to know, will look for an earlier citation with Louise Voller and other authors. In this case, "op. cit." in entry number 5. of the bibliography refers to entry number 3.
George

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 07:19 pm
@Setanta,
I'm thinking of getting a tattoo.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 07:26 pm
Got it.

Thank you both
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 07:27 pm
It might help you to have some other common bibliographical abbreviations.

If a footnote has the abbreviation op. cit., as explained above, you know to look for that author's name in an earlier citation.

If a footnote has the abbreviation ibib., it means the same source is used as was used in the immediately preceeding citation.

Ubi supra, from Latin, means, literally, everywhere above, but in footnotes, it means something which has been cited already many times in the text. It's a polite way of saying "I've alreay cited this more than once, dummy."

Cf. means refer to--a footnote with this abbreviation means that the statement is implied or can be inferred from an earlier citation.

Q.v., from Latin quo vide, "which see" means information which can be found elsewhere in the work which has already been cited.

To the best of my recollection, these are the most common footnote abbreviations in academic works in English which you will encounter.
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 07:29 pm
George, i'd advise argumentum ad absurdum . . .
George

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 08:49 pm
@Setanta,
I like it.
Tasteful, appropriate, and alliterative.
(But will it make my butt look fat?)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 09:47 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It might help you to have some other common bibliographical abbreviations.

If a footnote has the abbreviation op. cit., as explained above, you know to look for that author's name in an earlier citation.

If a footnote has the abbreviation ibib., it means the same source is used as was used in the immediately preceeding citation.

Ubi supra, from Latin, means, literally, everywhere above, but in footnotes, it means something which has been cited already many times in the text. It's a polite way of saying "I've alreay cited this more than once, dummy."

Cf. means refer to--a footnote with this abbreviation means that the statement is implied or can be inferred from an earlier citation.

Q.v., from Latin quo vide, "which see" means information which can be found elsewhere in the work which has already been cited.

To the best of my recollection, these are the most common footnote abbreviations in academic works in English which you will encounter.

Cool stuff.

Thanks.

0 Replies