Talking to a brick wall

chai2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:59 pm
Help me feel better. Tell me about the last time you talked to a brick wall.

We're probably be hiring someone who is moving to Austin, from Houston. She makes a significant amount more than we can will offer her, but that's not an issue. She has been doing something more specialized, that involves being willing to work irregular hours, and in a higher risk acute environment. She's at a point where she doesn't mind making a bit less, because her priorities are different, this is a different level of responsibility, etc. etc.
In other words, she's fine with the deal, and actually sought us out, because this is where she wants to live.

While we were speaking, she had mentioned parenthetically that the cost of living is lower in Austin than Houston. I thought "I'm not sure about that", but, whatever.

I looked at what the 3 other people in my area, in that position make, and saw that we'd still be able to offer a respectable amount.

I sat down with my boss to discuss the numbers, and here's where the fun starts. I prefixed the conversation by saying "This is that person that's making more money, but is fine with taking a cut because of the job, etc. She's making $$$, the 3 other people are currently making between $$$ and $$$. I think she'll be ok with the high end of those numbers.

Boss: We can't pay her $$$, she's going to have to take a cut.
Me: Yes, that what I said.
Boss: That's not what the market for this different position will pay.
Me: Neutral

Me: Do you happen to know if it costs more to live in Houston?
Boss: No, I've never lived there.

Me: (deciding to continue) I thought it was interesting, that she said the cost of living in Houston was higher, but in fact based on what she's making, she'd have to make 15% more, per a couple of cost of living comparison calculators I looked up on the interweb. Not (I said uselessly, apparantly) that it makes any difference, it was just interesting she thought that.
Boss: That doesn't make any sense.
Me: Neutral

Boss: (Veering off onto worn ground) We offer salaries based on the market of what that position pays here.
Me: (as if I didn't know this already) Yes, I was just mentioning that she thought it cost more to live in Houston, and it doesn't.

Boss: That doesn't make sense.
Me: (Chai, just walk out of the room) What do you mean?
Boss: How could it cost more?
Me: Well.....if you were moving from here to Manhatten, the cost of living would be much greater....
Boss: But you said Houston.
Me: Yes, but it costs different amounts to live in different cities. People don't all work in this industry, and when they move they are going to look at what it will cost to live there.
Boss: What costs more here?
Me: Looking at website...Well, housing for one is more expensive.
Boss: No. (no?) My house doesn't cost nearly has much as a house in Houston or Austin.
Me: well....that's because you don't live in Austin....(thinking...you live in some butt hump little community you'd have to pay me to go near)

Boss: I don't understand why Cost of Living enters into it.

ok......I extricated myself as soon after this as possible.
I realize I trod on a landmind.

But...wtf?
Are you hearing the words that are coming out of my mouth?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,245 • Replies: 16
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:06 pm
Brick walls are often set in concrete..
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:38 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

But...wtf?
Are you hearing the words that are coming out of my mouth?

oh yep, so many times that you may as well be struck dumb!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:45 pm
@chai2,
<sigh>
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 02:24 pm
@chai2,
this isn't the same person who farted on your desk, is it? Cause that would explain a lot of this obtuseness.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 02:35 pm
@chai2,
I talk to a brick wall roughly once a week. I find it helpful to not give any extra information or include anything that could send us down the path of arguing about something that doesn't actually matter at all. Just the facts, ma'am. "We can offer this, I think she'll be fine with that."
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 02:39 pm
I work for Brick Walls R Us. It is maddening.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 02:41 pm
Mostly when I've run into blockades from friends, work peers, bosses, there has been room for understanding we didn't get each other. That all tended to work out, whatever the ongoing angst, probably balanced over time re one side or the other but usually ending in understanding. With at least one boss it got a little sharp (the university backed me up).

Can you approach Mr. Brick again, Chai?

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 03:21 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

I talk to a brick wall roughly once a week. I find it helpful to not give any extra information or include anything that could send us down the path of arguing about something that doesn't actually matter at all. Just the facts, ma'am. "We can offer this, I think she'll be fine with that."

You're exactly right duckie.

Although of course, it can be something that does matter, and it pretty much goes the same.

sigh. (you're right roger)
I think a big part of it is this person has no curiosity about anything. Or, what she does express curiosity about is pretty much dumb.

Looking out the window...."Why is that person taking so long to park their car?"
Something like that, she really wants an answer.

Ah, it's Friday.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 03:34 pm
@chai2,
I'm remembering your boss now.
For better or worse, all of my bosses were swift.
This must be a continuing trial for you. I imagine that you could be wrong once in a while but my money is on you 99% of the time..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 03:49 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

That's it. Just like talking to a drunk. Tell them what is and what's going to be. Never, ever give them anything to hang an argument on.
wayne

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 01:57 am
And I thought I was all alone.
I've learned to do what should be done and keep my mouth shut (except when I don't)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:24 am
When you've had teenage children it becomes second nature.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:27 am
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair.

chai, you've got my sympathy. In my previous university, they suddenly and without warning gave us a boss. He was an engineer, but convinced himself that because he has a Ph.D in something, he was automatically more adept at foreign language pedagogy than someone like me who has been doing and researching it for 15 facking years.

He came up with one dumbass, off-the-wall, out-of-left-field, crackpot idea after another. As the head foreign faculty, it was my duty to explain to him, using accepted language pedagogical theories, why his ideas would fail. Mind you, I simplified the language so he could understand it, but as soon as the conversation started going in the direction of 'why your idea won't work', his eyes would glaze over and you could just feel his mind leave the room.

Twat. I left. Quit. Now I'm at another university where they still have the good sense not to give us a boss.

So, anyway, you've got my sympathy...
roger

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:57 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

He was an engineer. . . .

Now, if I ever saw a red flag run up a flagpole, that's it.
FBM

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 03:01 am
@roger,
I used to respect engineers until this twunt broke me of it...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:51 pm
@roger,
Exactly like talking to a drunk, Roger. Bosses, drunks... whatever.
0 Replies