Everything Happens For a Reason.

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:50 am
Everything happens for a reason, do we believe this?

View best answer, chosen by loopylu15
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:59 am
@loopylu15,
don't know about the collective "we", but i don't, i believe sometimes things just happen

now, things can happen because of a reason, but not for
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:14 am
@loopylu15,
We believe that nothing happens for a reason. Things just happen. Our brain makes up the reason after the fact and then convinces itself that the reason was there all along.
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:15 am
@loopylu15,
What's this "we" ****? You gotta mouse in your pocket?

While i don't deny cause and effect, i also don't subscribe to any nonsense about the cosmos being purposeful, nor any claims that we are on this planet for a reason. Finally, i don't buy the notion that our lives have to have meaning or purpose.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:30 am
@Setanta,
Quote:

We think you remind us of our third grade teacher.
chai2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:33 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

We are not amused.
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:37 am
"We" should not be assumed.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:40 am
@loopylu15,
loopylu15 wrote:

Everything happens for a reason, do we believe this?
Yes; we do universally believe in Cause and Effect, and it is the basis for all our reasoning.... Now; socially, does everything or anything happen for a good reason??? Seldom is it so... Even people who are subjectively good, often do evil out of ignorance as even do the evil... Knowledge is virtue if for no other reason that when we know something of our ignorance we are less and less inclined to act on it, which is acting without a full understanding of consequences... To do what we do not knowing what we do, which was the defense of Oedipus is a plea of extenuating circumstance, and blindness before action deserves blindness after... We have foresight, and we have self knowledge and between these two is reason enough to avoid most of the common pitfalls of life...
0 Replies

Fido
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:47 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

We believe that nothing happens for a reason. Things just happen. Our brain makes up the reason after the fact and then convinces itself that the reason was there all along.

Not true... Our problem is this: We use reason to reach unreasonable goals when the proper use of reason is to judge our unreasonable, which is to say: Irrational goals...What we are when first we look is a chaos of conflict and motion, and this is expressed in our external reality in our dreams and fears which have no natural limits... That horse of our instincts and desires must be haltered and bit if any real good will come of it... Self control is the highest achievement of human kind because their reason finds its natural part in life, not to achieve the irrational and impossible but to make possible what is only possible within reason, and that is human happiness...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:48 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Mind is an essential element in re-mind.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:50 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

We are not amused.
Every party needs a pooper... Usually it is my job; but today must be your day...
0 Replies

loopylu15

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:15 pm
@Setanta,
Oh Im sorry for using the Term 'We'. Just trying to put some sense in the world that WE can Think of a Conversation and opinion together collectivly. Sorry for the mistake but if you dont like it, Dont comment.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:24 pm
@loopylu15,
He has a perfect right to comment. This is a website with posters from around the world with varying views; people freely express their views.
loopylu15

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Im not saying he doesnt have a right to comment. Im saying if he doesnt like it then dont comment there is a difference. Jeez whats up with people!
Fido

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 03:31 pm
@loopylu15,
loopylu15 wrote:

Im not saying he doesnt have a right to comment. Im saying if he doesnt like it then dont comment there is a difference. Jeez whats up with people!
The best way to get him to comment is to give it to him so he won't like it; but it may be more fun opening up the gates of hell because he has cornered the market on fire and brimstone... Seriously... The man has roids or something that makes him totally irascible and sometimes irrational... Tease him... I dares you to... I double dog dares you to...
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 03:37 pm
@Fido,
You're off on your antipathy horse here, Fido, this time not warranted.
Fido

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 03:40 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

You're off on your antipathy horse here, Fido, this time not warranted.
Are we talking about SEtanta here; or you??? I have something to say about you too, but I haven't thought of it yet... Give me a minute...
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 03:46 pm
@Fido,
Set's intervention on this thread didn't require your diatribe. He was making an accurate point. Perhaps on other threads your words would have applied.
I'm not purporting to be a Set savior, doghelpme, where are the biscuits, and I often thumb you up.

Go ahead, insult me, but it will be a thread diversion.
roger

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 03:53 pm
@loopylu15,
loopylu15 wrote:

Read that again and see if it still makes sense.
0 Replies

loopylu15

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:18 pm
@loopylu15,
Gosh has this turned into an argument? I'm not quite sure my intelligence of these big words and their meanings are pretty low. So people fill me in who's having a go at me and who's just interested in the main question that I originally asked that had a English mis spelling.