Should the US be a watchdog of world affairs?

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:43 am
It's been over half a century since the UN was formed. Yet there are so many nations ruled by dictators who perpetrate mass murder, many nations where a woman can be stoned to death for accidently revealing her knee, where a girl can be legally punished with gang rape because her younger brother spoke to a older woman from a higher social class, where capturing, using, and selling people as slaves is legal, many regimes where children as young as eight are expected to work 14 hours a day in atrocious conditions for pennies a day.

And the UN has consistently failed these subjected masses, it has proven ineffective and woefully incapable of enforcing the basic human rights it's constitution guarentees to all citizens.

How long can the world's strongest and most influential democracy sit on the sidelines? How long can it sit around and watch as so many suffer needlessly under ruthless dictators when it can with as much as a snap of it's wrist give hundreds of millions their lives back and make the world a vastly superior, more friendly, and more peaceful place to live.

Note: I acknowledge that in the past few decades, the US has debated immorally, supporting Saddam, the Patriot Acts etc. Policies like these aren't what I'm referring to when I say watchdog. I am referring the US taking a more active role in ensuring that the UN's mandates get enforced. Mandates such as those against child labor, against dictators like Saddam that have been around even when US was supporting him, against slavery, brutality, the oppression of a racial minority etc. If the US hypothetically was able to act morally, aka. strictly acted to enforce the UN's mandates, should it?

The problem with the UN is that it's priniciples are great ideals, basic human rights for all etc., but the UN due to it's very structure is incapable of doing anything to actually enforce these mandates and advance these principles other than pass meaningless resolutions that the rest of the world is free to ignore with impunity. That's what I believe the role of the US should be, to insure that ALL these resolutions (not just those that would yield it the most profit) including the ones it currently violates, get enforced. Realistically this may not be difficult to do, but hypothetically if it were possible, would you support the UN taking on such a role?

As stated by ican711nm...
What are the major moral, ethical, and practical differences among the following American Actions?

A. Bosnia:
(1) Murder? Thousands of Muslims (e.g., Bosnians) murdered by Serbians;
(2) Threatened Murder? Thousands more Muslims threatened to be murdered by Serbians;
(3) American Troops on the Ground? Yes;
(4) UN Approval of Americans in Bosnia? No;
(5) Purpose of American Troops on the Ground? Minimize additional murders by Serbians by separating Serbians from Muslims;
(6) Financial/Weapons Support of Murderers? Russians supported Serbians.

B. Afghanistan
(1) Murder? Thousands of Americans (e.g., occupants of World Trade Buildings, Pentagon, three airliners) murdered by al Qaeda;
(2) Threatened Murder? Thousands more Americans threatened to be murdered by al Qaeda;
(4) UN Approval of Americans in Afghanistan? No;
(5) Purpose of American Troops on the Ground? Minimize additional murders of Americans by minimizing al Qaeda;
(6) Financial/Weapons Support of Murderers? Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria, Libia, Egypt, North Korea, Iraq etc. supported al Qaeda.

C. Iraq
(1) Murder? Thousands of Muslims (e.g., Shiites, Kurds, Kuwaities) murdered by Saddam Husseiners;
(2) Threatened Murder? Thousands more Muslims threatened to be murdered by Saddam Husseiners;
(4) UN Approval of Americans in Iraq? No;
(5) Purpose of American Troops on the Ground? Minimize additional murders of people worlwide by minimizing Saddam Husseiners;
(6) Financial/Weapons Support? France, Germany, Russia supported Saddam Husseiners.

D.Israel
(1) Murder? Thousands of Israelies murdered by Arafaters;
(2) Threatened Murder? Thousands more Israelies threatened to be murdered by Arafaters;
(3) American Troops on the Ground? No;
(3a) American Financial/weapons support? Yes;
(4) UN Approval of American Financial/Weapons support of Israelies? No;
(5) Purpose of American Troops on the Ground? No American troops are on the ground in Israel;
(5a) Purpose of American Financial/Weapons Support of Israelies? Minimize additional murders of Israelies by Arafaters by maximizing Israeli ability to defend itself against Arafaters;
(6) Financial/Weapons Support? Iraq, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Egypt, Syria support Arafaters.

BUT... this doesn't change the fact that Bush blatantly lied to the world with all this supposed evidence of weapons of mass destruction, lied to the world about the US's true reasons, made very little if any effort to rally support worldwide for our effort, and has acted here where we stand to profit from oil where he failed to act in nearly identical circumstances throughout regions all over the world. I am asking you to respond based on the assumption that future watchdog efforts would be carried out more responsibly.

Note edited in after 5 votes against and 2 votes for have been cast.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,678 • Replies: 57
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 03:35 am
Yet we have suported many of these "cruel dictators." Reza Pahlavi and Saddam Hussein spring immediately to mind.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:44 am
"A" not "the".

America has done a lot of good, they are not "the" watch dog, but "a" watch dog. And other "watch dogs" should exist both to assist in American efforts and to keep America itself in check.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:47 am
America as the "watch dog" of world affairs? It is to laugh. The other countries of the world won't accept it, nor should they. No more than the US would accept some other country in this role.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:13 pm
Yeah, I agree with Craven that the United States can be "a" watchdog -- although quite honestly, the United States would do better to expend its resources getting our own house in order.

D'Artagnan it right, too. The rest of the world would not accept us in this role nor should they.

In any case, in our recent history, we've probably been a part of the problem more often than we've been a part of the solution.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:30 pm
The USA, and frankly every other country, will only "watch" what is in its own strategic and financial interests to watch, and will only intervene when these interests are threatened.
Nations do not behave in a "moral" way, as individuals like to think they, individuals, do.

You need only look as US treatment of Saddam, at different stages in his career. No morality. Pragmatism only. Hypocrisy, sure. But to a state, that's irrelevant, it seems.
0 Replies

user

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:47 pm
Haha you wanna be watchdogs at all?
I mean there are a million reasons out there the US should be bombed until nothing is left of it...one single thing I want to mention here (trying to keep my blood plessure down): Last night I watched a tv show reporting of Guantanamo.
Those freaks called Americans are keeping about half a dozen kids there in a high-security prison!! One of them is as old as 13!!

No the US shouldn't be anything similar to a watchdog.
A modified UN should be the watchdog...that is a UN where all nations got at least almost equal rights and powers.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:01 pm
user wrote:

No the US shouldn't be anything similar to a watchdog.
A modified UN should be the watchdog...that is a UN where all nations got at least almost equal rights and powers.

This would be the same U.N that put Lybia, Sudan and China on the U.N. Human Rights commission???

The U.N. that put Syria (a known sponsor of world terrorism) on the Security Council (the part of the U.N. that is supposed to lead the war against terrorism.)

No thanks. The U.N. is good at only one thing:

Racking up massive numbers of unpaid parking tickets in New York City.
0 Replies

user

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:07 pm
Do you remember which country the actual leader of the UN is?
Have a look at the flag I suppose to be waving in your frontyard - that'll be the answer to my question.

And now that you got the answer think about where the responsible guys for the stuff you told before come from.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:13 pm
Just how much watching can America continue to do. The US$ is losing value against the UKĀ£ & the Euro on a daily basis & has a shortage of jobs as well. Surely America needs some rebalancing therapy.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:17 pm
Indeed, oldandknew, starting right at the top. Which will happen, one hopes, next November...
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:21 pm
The United States is as far from being the leader of the United Nation as I am from being the King of Spain.

The U.N has for many years been a bloated, overpaid, underworked sucking tick on the rear end of the world.

They lack the stomach to do anything of substantive value. (When confronted in a 'peacekeeping' stance they invariably back down and fail to get involved.)

All they seem to do is consume money and produce no actual value.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:32 pm
fedral ---- you hit the nail on the head. UN is all so much goody goody 2 shoes. The spoilt brat full of methane gas.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:41 pm
The United Nations is the last, best hope for this planet.

Chances are we have not yet fought our last great war -- and my guess is that the next one will be a doozy.

But if there is any chance of avoiding that war -- the United Nations will be instrumental in avoiding it.

Perhaps we are going to wipe ourselves out no matter what -- but if the United Nationos fails, we have no chance.

My guess is that the United Nations is the only reason the United States is being allowed to carry on as it is. Destroy the UN -- and every nation on this planet will bond in opposition to us.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:54 pm
Fedral's post is full of demonstratably false statements. But let's start with where he is right.

Yes, the US is not the leader of the UN. But Fedral ignores that the US did indeed create the UN, that it holds a permanent seat on the security council and that it is by far the nation that most exercises it's power in the UN (in terms of veto, in recent years).

So the rhetorical barb about the king of Spain is false. The US is, indeed, closer to being teh leader of the UN though it's actions and power than Fedral is of being King of Spain (note that I am operating on the assumption that Fedral has no power in Spain).

Next Fedral talks about beaurocratic inefficiency. He does not validate a single one of his statements nor does he put it in teh perspective of other beaurocratic issues (his comments about this could easily be used to describe many US government agencies) but let's just assume that's true so that we can move on to the real brainfart.

Quote:
They lack the stomach to do anything of substantive value. (When confronted in a 'peacekeeping' stance they invariably back down and fail to get involved.)

This is simply false. The UN does not "invariably back down" and if asked I can cite cases.

Quote:
All they seem to do is consume money and produce no actual value.

This is a typical comment from conservatives, what they neglect to state is that they credit nations like the US for UN actions.

For example, Iraqi demilitariztion (by this I speak of the fact that the US invasion was preceeded by Iraqi demilitarization) was a UN action that was enforced by military power led by the US.

This is a direct result of the UN. Despite the desire of conservatives to credit the US for their mere participation in the enforcement.

The UN gave the demilitarization order validity and the participation of most nations besides the US and the UK is predicated on said validity.

There is just one example, of how those sweeping "the UN has done nothing" arguments are patently false.

Now one can reasonably argue that they do not do enough, but to say they do nothing is absurd. Furthermore it's said only with militaristic actions in mind, nobody could argue that the UN has not had a drastic effect on the world with their charitable works.

What people liek Fedral fail to note is that teh UN is not a military, it's a place for arbitration.

So the all too common complaint that the UN is not out kicking asses is simply absurd, the purpose of the UN IS a "debate club" as some call it.

The action taken after the decisions are made is often divorced from the UN by people like Fedral and that's absurd.

It's like saying that because the court judges themselves do not go out and apprehend criminals they have no purpose.

What the criticism fails to note is that the arbitration is necessary and has saved countless lives through the mere existence of a forum for conflict resolution.

The UN has authorized military enforcement as well, but the militaristics simply credit the US for those acts simply on the basis of the US's predominant participation.

It's childlike and simplistic thinking, they fail to note that through UN resolutions other nations often foot the bill.

The US made a profit off teh first war with Iraq. And the nations that contributed did so under the auspice of the United Nations.

People like Fedral are really just complaining that the UN is not militaristic enough for their tastes. Their arguments that the UN serves no purpose are simply idiotic.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:12 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Fedral's post is full of demonstratably false statements.

Quote:

This is simply false. The UN does not "invariably back down" and if asked I can cite cases.

The United Nations itself has recently released reports documenting two of its worst stumbles. According to these confessions, U.N. peacekeepers in Rwanda stood by as Hutu slaughtered some 800,000 Tutsi. In Bosnia, the U.N. declared safe areas for Muslims but did nothing to secure them, letting the Serbs slaughter thousands in Srebrenica. The organization's meddling was worse than useless: its blue-helmeted troops were used as hostages by the Serbs to deter a military response from the West. Presumably, Secretary-General Kofi Annan -- who was head of the U.N.'s peacekeeping department at the time -- hopes that an institutional mea culpa now will wipe the slate clean and allow the organization to play a more vigorous role in the future.

So what cases are YOU going to cite Craven ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:30 pm
no
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:41 pm
Fedral wrote:

The United Nations itself has recently released reports documenting two of its worst stumbles. According to these confessions, U.N. peacekeepers in Rwanda stood by as Hutu slaughtered some 800,000 Tutsi. In Bosnia, the U.N. declared safe areas for Muslims but did nothing to secure them, letting the Serbs slaughter thousands in Srebrenica. The organization's meddling was worse than useless: its blue-helmeted troops were used as hostages by the Serbs to deter a military response from the West. Presumably, Secretary-General Kofi Annan -- who was head of the U.N.'s peacekeeping department at the time -- hopes that an institutional mea culpa now will wipe the slate clean and allow the organization to play a more vigorous role in the future.

For the purpose of simplicity I will let you have that. For the purpose of intellectual honesty I will state that it in no way supports your assertions that the UN has done nothing.

LEt's examine your logic. You used an absolutism. To support your statement you will have to demonstrate that not once has the UN acted and that not once has the UN proved worth while.

To disprove those statements only one example of the UN not "backing down" from military action and only one example of the UN being worth while is needed. You can still argue that it isn't enough but you will still have to back down from your earlier, absolute, statements.

Quote:
So what cases are YOU going to cite Craven ?

I'll pick an easy one. Iraq/ Kuwait. The UN did not "back down" and the UN did not "fail to get involved".

This renders your earlier comment that the UN "invariably back(s) down and fail(s) to get involved" demonstratably false.

And if you want another example for the purpose of disproving your absolutism that they have done nothing worthwhile then I'll cite a recent one with their disaster relief in Iran.

You might want to add the disarmament of Iraq (WMDs) to the list. that is also to their credit (and to the nations that enforced it).

You might also note that when you said they "consume money" you failed to note that often they provide the money for the US to engage in the militarism you admire.

Again, for example, the UN sanctioned war with Iraq (the first one) was one that did not cost the US a dime, as we were paid back in full and in excess.

In short, I will repeat that your following assertions are false.

Quote:
invariably back down and fail to get involved

Quote:
They lack the stomach to do anything of substantive value.

Now sure, they are not militaristic enough for your tastes, and yes you may think that something of "substantive value" is something like invading a nation.

But the millions of lives saved by the UN are of "substantive value" to their owners. One does not have to look far to find the,. I cited the most recent example in Bam.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:59 pm
The Korean War comes to mind, as well . . .
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:13 pm
Appreciated
Thank you for taking the time to counter Federal's absurd pronouncements. Smile
0 Replies