my rat keeps on trying to bite my hand!!

angelou

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:44 pm
i got him from a friend about 3 weeks ago, and it was really scared at first so i didn't try to pet it or anything, i simple feed him everyday, pick up the droppings, and after school i would feed him some treats.
its been about 3 weeks now, he doesn't hide in a corner anymore, he does take food from my hand at times, but now he is trying to bite my hand every time i put my hand on the cage.
i know that it is not good to keep only one rat, but my parents will not let me get another one, and i also have to keep it in the garage.
i have no idea what to do.
please someone help me.Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,430 • Replies: 16
No top replies

bieberfever32798

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:57 pm
@angelou,
ewwwww rat!!!! and if the enviomerment is not good for the rat mabey it is not a good idea to keep it.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:05 pm
@angelou,
Where did your friend get him from? Is it a male or female rat?

Found this source on pet rat behavior:
http://www.quite.co.uk/rats/#Biting and nipping

You might need to get the poor thing ... neutered if it's not already. Still, read the five paragraph section. Looks really helpful.

Never owned a pet rat so I can only wish you good luck.

angelou

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
i'm pretty sure they just bought him from a pet store. its a male rat.
i read it, thanks. Smile
roger

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 10:34 pm
@angelou,
I recall the same question coming up before. A lot of people played around with answers, but it really looked like they were kind of making it up as they went along. It's possible some rats just naturally bite, whether from fear, agression, or whatever, so don't blame yourself.
roger

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 10:35 pm
@bieberfever32798,
If it's not your choice of pets, maybe it just isn't your question. Huh?
angelou

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 10:46 pm
@roger,
i guess, i just feel really bad for him. i would just leave him alone and just feed him but alot of people say that they need social interaction, i feel horrible just leaving him alone all day.
High Seas

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 10:50 pm
@angelou,
Rats are intelligent - you're right they need social interaction. See if you can get your parents to agree to a female rat to keep him company. It's cruelty to leave the poor critter caged alone all the time - that's probably why he's trying to bite, he's getting desperate. Having adopted him now you're responsible...
angelou

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 10:58 pm
@High Seas,
i would love to get him a friend, but convincing my parents to get another rat is impossible, my mom hates rat. so yah. i have convinced my mom to let me take him inside from the time i get home from school and when i go to sleep. so i could keep him company. i'm doing the best i can to provide for him. my friends had him as a physiology project, they didnt want him anymore so i was the only one willing to take him.
i think i may know why he is bitting now, we moved him to the garage a week ago, and apparently my mom has been feeding him through the cage bars, because he didnt try to bite me before, unless i tried to pick him up and push him to far. never just random bitting. but i have only gotten a tiny nip from him once. it wasnt bad, i just get warnings.
High Seas

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 11:01 pm
@angelou,
Did you get him vaccinated? I hope so - if not, look around for low-cost or free veterinary services in your area. Next time you see the vet ask for advice, there must be something you can do about your little critter so he doesn't keep biting you. Taking him in at night sounds like a good idea. Good luck Smile
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 12:02 pm
@angelou,
bite him back.

.....it always works in the school yard.
0 Replies

bieberfever32798

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 03:22 pm
@roger,
well, someone is having a bad day!!!
0 Replies

angelou

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:12 pm
@angelou,
so i took him in side and set this cage on the table, while i was reading. he was coming out and exploring and then he came up and bite my hand. it's not bleeding or anything , ugh, i mean i was just sitting there and reading..... -____________- its not like i was poking at him or anything. what the heck.
roger

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:32 pm
@angelou,
I don't know, angelou. If it keeps up, you might just have to recognize that all rats deserve a good home. I mean, work with him as long as you can, but if he doesn't respond, well he doesn't.
angelou

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:33 pm
@roger,
i'm think that i should just get some gloves next time so it won't hurt. i still love him even if he is not cuddly.
roger

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:37 pm
@angelou,
I'll say I admire you for going the extra mile, and leave it at that. My cats don't like to be hugged, for whatever that's worth.

Do get him some kind of chew stick designed for rats to keep in his cage, though. He does need something to gnaw on to keep his incisors from growing too long. I'm not saying he bites because he needs a chew toy, but that is something he should have. Anything designed for hampsters would be fine.
angelou

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:40 pm
@roger,
yah i got him one. he kinda chews on it. he doesnt use the wheel thingy much... i actually dont think he uses it at all... he pretty much sleeps on the hammock all the time.
0 Replies