D. Wasserman Schultz (Fla) Elected DNC Chair

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:39 pm
About time they got rid of the impotent Tim Kaine!

http://www.democrats.org/news/blog/breaking_news_debbie_wasserman_schultz_elected_dnc_chair

Quote:
Breaking News: Debbie Wasserman Schultz Elected DNC Chair
Posted by Joshua Cohen on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Moments ago, Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz was elected to be chair of the Democratic National Committee. Adding this new position to her distinguished resume, Rep. Wasserman Schultz joins President Obama at the helm of the Democratic Party and formalizes her role as a visionary and strategic voice for Democrats across the country.

First elected to the Florida House of Representatives at the age of 26, Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s story is one of perseverance. In that first election, she knocked on more than 25,000 doors, won with 64 percent of the vote, and became the youngest woman ever elected to the Florida House.

After serving in both the Florida House and Senate, Wasserman Schultz was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from Florida’s 20th Congressional district, and her reputation as a leader and lawmaker only grew.

She was elected by her peers to serve as vice chair of the House Democratic Steering and Policy Committee, working to communicate Democratic priorities to the public, and also serves as a chief deputy whip, advancing Democrats’ legislative priorities.

Rep. Wasserman Schultz is a leader and role model, a mother and cancer survivor, and a tireless advocate for values of opportunity, fairness, and equality. Her term as DNC chair begins immediately.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,848 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:43 pm
All of it news to me, thanks for the notice.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
Kaine is running for senator since Jim Webb is not running for re-election. Personally, I would have preferred Howard Dean for DNC Chair.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:26 pm
@kuvasz,
Me too, but I think Debbie will be just as good.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:26 pm
@kuvasz,
Dean already held the position for four years, and he is chairman emeritus of the DNC.

I like Wasserman Schultz. I think she'll do a fine job.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 10:36 am
dont know much about her. Ill have to research her.
djjd62

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 10:40 am
has trump seen her birth certificate, her name sounds foreign to me Razz
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 12:09 pm
@firefly,
I don't. She is a sitting congresswoman, and the additional duties of running the DNC are too much effort for anyone. The DNC head is a full time job. Either she is going to be forced to curtail her duties in the Congress or she will be unable to perform the DNC job with the utmost care. Either way, a bad choice while she sits in Congress.
firefly

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 02:30 pm
@kuvasz,
The members of the DNC apparently weren't worried about her ability to balance her obligations. And it's not as though she's going to be single-handedly running the DNC, there is considerable delegation of responsibility.

I've seen her numerous times on the cable news channels and I've never failed to be impressed by her intelligence and her ability to clearly articulate, define, and discuss issues, and to present the Democratic position in a forthright and persuasive manner. She seems to have strong leadership qualities. I wish her well in her new position.
kuvasz

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 04:34 pm
@firefly,
2012 will be a tough election for the Democrats, and having a part-time head of the DNC, regardless of any ability to delegate responsibilities smacks of not taking the election seriously. As to members of the DNC not worrying; that is what precisely worries me. Frankly, I do not consider the woman any type of leader, either by experience, intelligence or charisma. Additionally, the DNC position is an executive position of which Wasserman does not have experience, unless running a congressional staff of a dozen or so is considered "executive" experience.

Most likely, she got the job not for her organizational capabilities, but in order to placate rich Jewish contributors to the Democratic Party.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 04:56 pm
@RABEL222,
This will get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debbie_Wasserman_Schultz

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/w000797

http://www.ontheissues.org/FL/Debbie_Wasserman_Schultz.htm
0 Replies