The 5'2" Club. Who wants to join?

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:36 pm
If you guys need someone to change the light bulbs, I'll be over here.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:43 pm
Faye Grant fits the bill too:

http://images.tvrage.com/people_galleries/1/2491/73315.jpg
wandeljw

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:40 pm
@Francis,
A fellow German once told me that the American ideal is "Five foot two, eyes of blue" and that the Germanic ideal is "Six foot eight, how about a date?"
Francis

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:50 pm
@wandeljw,
As I said, height doesn't matter the least, I'm looking for other qualities and talents..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:59 pm
@chai2,
Yeah - they don't know what they miss at our eye level

<and it is a secret that will remain in the club so don't try waterboarding me to find out!>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:05 pm
I was the tallest of my girl group as a kid.. I topped out at 5'5 1/2" and have commenced with shrinking nowadays. Back when I was thirteen, I wished I was shorter, and now I'm trying to remedy that. (waves to Roberta)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:30 pm
ok, of course I was joking about the trials and tribulations of being this height.

Thinking about it, I wouldn't know how to be taller. I think it's crossed my mind the idea of being taller, but just as a concept, not as reality.

5'2" isn't so small, but I'll be honest, I like being shorter than any man I've been with. It feels like what the nature of things should be.

I was reading a novel a few years ago, about a team of scientists that were at the North Pole, both male and female. One of the women was quite athletic, a mountain climber, cross country skier, etc. She was supposed to be I guess 6' or even taller.
Some romance was thrown into the book, and a visitor to the site got involved with her. He was over 6' also. In his description of her, what he liked the most about her physically was that they were equal in size and weight.

I thought about that for a while. I wondered if men, given a choice, would prefer someone just as tall as them, or if they liked, as a preference, someone shorter.
Of course if I were tall it would feel normal, but it's hard for me to imagine being as big, height wise at least, as a man.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:31 pm
@chai2,
The women on my dad's side of the family have the opposite problem. Very few of them are under 6 ft tall. At 5'9. I'm one of the shortest.

When one of us finds a good fit on pants, word goes out to the rest because good fitting pants for tall women are so so hard to find. Most of the time, what is supposed to be heel length pants ends up being capris. At 5'9 I'm also in that between stage. Too tall for average length pants and too short for tall size pants. I do a lot of hemming.

One of my 6'2 cousins is always complaining about having to fold herself into her car and hitting her head on the roof of it.
sozobe

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yeah, I've got a tall husband and seem to become friends with tall people (lipreading angle? dunno -- at least two of my female friends are 6 feet tall). Anyway they have a lot of tall-people complaints. Pants (for women) and airplanes (for all) are common problems.

At 5' 6" I'm right smack dab average and except for when I was playing b-ball a lot it's never really bothered me. Even then it might have helped because I was underestimated 'cause I was short (AND a girl, double-whammy).

I've noticed that many short people dislike looking up at someone (like actually tilting their face up), this is part of the lipreading issue, it's hard to lipread foreheads.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:48 pm
@chai2,
I'm almost in. If I stand up really, really straight.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:48 pm
Standing around in a gathering of short people is problematic ... I always have to slouch to hear what you folks are saying down there.
Swimpy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:51 pm
@Ticomaya,
What?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here's a photo from several years ago of all of us cousins after my dad's funeral. The short one in the middle behind my even shorter aunt is me. All the others tower over us. My aunt used to be as tall as me but 89 years of gravity have caused her to shrink.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/24218_10150158643625214_748555213_11982415_6350897_n.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:29 pm
@chai2,
And there is the added bonus that you can wear extremely high heels and still be shorter than the man you are with - unless of course you are dating a midget or dawarf ----- oops I mean "little person" gotta be correct ya know.
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:31 pm
@Linkat,
Double bonus - I used to get picked up - literally - frequently. For some reason, men like to pick up little girls (as in when I was in my 20s). It was wonderful getting piggy back rides and such.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:38 pm
@chai2,
Hmmm. My first lover, a mountain climber among other pursuits, a guy I still have fond memories of, was 5' 3". He taught me a lot, not just about love and joy but about music and art and poetry and politics. Height was no problemo. He married the woman after me, also from a mountain climbing family - no idea how tall she is. They were probably a better fit, sloth that I am, and have been together more than forty years.

My dad was 5' 6". I never thought of him as short. Ex hub, about 5' 11", just right for quite a while.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:43 pm
Another bonus for being short - I can wear my tween's hand me downs.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:09 pm
Okay you little munchkins, I am 5'9" and have my own problems:
the current shoe fashion is not designed for us tall ones - WTH, 10 inches
and counting with plateau soles and what not. Sweaters are all to short
and pants, more often than not, as well. So there you have it!!

The grass isn't greener on either side.....
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:34 pm
@CalamityJane,
These enormously high and higher heels have been in for years now, makes me snicker. I think of it as voluntary foot binding. Legs do look good in them, and some of them are beautiful as works of art, as in sculpture.

You'll be right in style though with too short sweaters, especially if they don't button easily. Another snicker and not at you.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:38 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Double bonus - I used to get picked up - literally - frequently. For some reason, men like to pick up little girls (as in when I was in my 20s). It was wonderful getting piggy back rides and such.

ufff...
That brought back a bad memory.

In college, I was a lot smaller, like 102 lbs.
A roommate was having a party, and one of the guys that came over was BIG. I mean like 6'6 or taller, and with a linebackers build. I was minding my own business when he just swooped me up like I was bag of cotton balls. I laughed for a moment, letting him spin around, but then I became alarmed. As he swung me about, I realized (too late) that he was actually pretty drunk, and that frightened me. It was like he didn't know when to stop. When he put me down I tried to stay out of his way, but a couple of minutes later he sought me out to do the same thing. When he picked me up I said "Stop it!" and he suddenly got this mean look in his eye. This time he had picked me up in a bear hug, and before he dropped me, he gave me a painful squeeze. I really felt like he was saying "See what I could do if I wanted to?"
My back hurt for a couple of days.