Is this sentence gramatically right?

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:02 am
The following sentence is from "The Fast-Food Factories: McJobs are Bad for Kids," The Washington Post (August 24, 1986), but i think it's gramatically wrong.
Supervision is often both tight and woefully inappropriate. Today, fast-food chains and other such places of work (record shops, bowling alleys) keep costs down by having teens supervise teens, often with no adult on the premises. There is no father or mother figure with which to identify, to emulate, to provide a role model and guidance.

Is there anything wrong with the last sentence since wich indicates a sentence.
I think the right sentence is like this:
There is no father or mother figure to identify with, to emulate, to provide a role model and guidance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 925 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 04:16 am
@vickie007,
There is nothing wrong with the structure, in terms of grammar, and it is not correct that "which" indicates a sentence--i'm not even sure what you mean by that. However, it's rather awkward in that which is usually not used to indicate persons. One would use the indefinite objective pronoun--whom. In which case, the sentence would read: "There is no father or mother figure with whom to identify, to emulate, to provide a role model and guidance."

Finally, i think your solution is the best: "There is no father or mother figure to identify with, to emulate, to provide a role model and guidance." That eliminates the problem altogether.
McTag

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 10:22 am

Either form would do, both are grammatically okay, but I like the Washington Post's best.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:40 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
However, it's rather awkward in that which is usually not used to indicate persons.

Again with the 'usually' but no explanation given. And it most certainly isn't awkward because "which is usually not used to indicate persons", in fact, as McTag has pointed out, it's perfectly natural.

Quote:
the indefinite objective pronoun--whom.

???

0 Replies