Interesting idea, I hope it pans out.

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:29 pm
Ovarian cancer is a killer, we all know that.

I just found this article about a possible new treatment.
I admit the idea seems a little far-fetched to me, but in this case I have to trust the experts to know what they are talking about.
And I truly hope it proves out as a viable treatment...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/health/27602698/detail.html

Quote:
Now, researchers at Georgia Tech are studying a new weapon in the war against ovarian cancer by using magnetic nanoparticles engineered to attach to cancer cells circulating in the body.
“If we can target those magnetic nanoparticles to ovarian cancer cells, they’ll attach to the free-flowing cancer cells, and then, in a magnetic field, we can sweep all of the cancer cells out,” John Mcdonald, Ph.D., a professor of biology at Georgia Tech, explained.
Like dialysis, fluid is circulated through and out of the patient’s abdomen and into an external chamber where tiny magnetic nanoparticles grab the cancer cells. The cleaned fluid is returned to the body
“To explain how many nanoparticles you might use for a treatment, in about a gram of material, we’re talking literally billions and billions of nanoparticles," Kenneth Scarberry, Ph.D. a post-doctoral fellow in nanochemistry at Georgia Tech, said.
It’s an experimental technique that could one day improve survival.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,416 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 07:22 pm
@mysteryman,
Interesting.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 09:03 pm
I've heard that scientists are experimenting with gold nano particles in much the same way, except of course, the magnetic properties. I watched an interesting segment on 60 minutes a few years ago where they showed the process, very promising. One hope it gets beyond the testing stage soon as cancers of the internal organs are especially heinous.
0 Replies