Read WashingtonPost and NYTimes reports in ArE or BrE ?

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:34 am

When you find a good report in a newspaper, you would usually like to read it aloud to make an impression for your memory. Please tell me: Do you tend to read it in American English or read it in British English?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 544 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:48 am
@oristarA,
American English.

Both examples you gave would be in American English, I believe. Even international editions.

I'd have to look at places like the Guardian for British English.
oristarA

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 07:39 am
@sozobe,
Thank you.

McTag please come here.
0 Replies

Oylok

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:48 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

When you find a good report in a newspaper, you would usually like to read it aloud to make an impression for your memory. Please tell me: Do you tend to read it in American English or read it in British English?

You read it in whatever version of English the writer chose to use.

When I'm reading the New York Times, I have no choice but to read it in American English, because that's what the writer chose to use. Likewise, when I read the Manchester Guardian, I have to read it in British English. ArE and BrE are ways of writing and spelling, not ways of reading.
sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:55 pm
@Oylok,
Thank you, Oylok, I didn't really understand oristar's question the first time around, your answer clarifies it.

If English is a second language, you can choose which accent to use I guess (American or British) -- but you can't switch the word choices and spellings that make written English British or American.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:58 pm
@Oylok,
What is this nonsense? What the hell is Oristar thinking of? Has he been at the pharmaceuticals? (I know he is some kind of medical student) Does he suppose that when an English person reads aloud an article from a US newspaper he or she puts on a sort of John Wayne accent (and says "sho'nuff" and "y'all" a lot)? And that conversely an American reading aloud an article from The Guardian goes like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 04:10 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
When you find a good report in a newspaper, you would usually like to read it aloud to make an impression for your memory.

I don't believe very many people read newspaper articles out loud.
0 Replies