Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 09:16 pm
Alright. It is a guilty pleasure. Whenever my alumni association magazine arrives, I turn immediately to the personal ads.

They're so amusing.

Today, there were very few but they followed a familiar pattern. They are all from women who describe themselves as having incredible long legs and lustrous blonde or red hair. They seek an "active man, 56 - 70," which says the woman is probably 63.

What leaves me scratching my head is the woman who posted that she has recently arrived home after 25 years as a gas and oil lawyer in Paris. I have read that ad before, perhaps, as long as ten years ago.

I spoke with, but decided not to meet, a man back in the early 90s. After I moved in 2007, I subscribed to a service and found the same man was posting the same ad with the same photo!

I just don't understand why these people don't change their scripts.

I am certain that the man is "real." It is possible the woman is not. However, what sort of scheme could a person run through personal ads?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 996 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:55 am
Its possible the editors may be seeding. They post a few bogus adverts other women gain confidence and place their own. (I assume these women have to pay for their adverts.)

On the other hand I heard of a young women at my wifes workplace who is part of the E harmony community. It certainly beats the ugly boozy nightclub and bar scene. So why not have a permenant advert as a way of meeting new people.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 07:39 am
@dadpad,
I've been in contact with the editors of this magazine. Several years ago, they published a satire I wrote on the ads. Believe me, these are genuine ads as far as the editors are concerned. People who place them have to be alumni. However, I have wondered, because of the truly long stretch this expensive ad has been running whether the alleged seeker has another program on board. Perhaps, selling stocks or promoting a business venture?

Frankly, I'm certain that the same man I mentioned in my original post is out there on E Harmony. He uses so many services, he wouldn't let one go!

My head scratching is why would people use the same text, perhaps for as long as a decade?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 09:54 am
It may be as simple as he placed the ad during one of the "FREE" weeks, didn't sign up and they just left it there.

I investigated Zoosk - filled out a general survey, then decided NOT to participate at $12 per month. That was 6 months ago. I am still getting "winks" and "flirts". I can't talk to anyone since I am not a "Member", but there I am, just sitting there.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 08:41 pm
@PUNKEY,
There are no free weeks with the alumni mag. I've considered answering the woman's ad to ask her why she doesn't change it.

Zoosk now charges? I used Zoosk for a few weeks. It seemed to me that all the men were motor cyclists.
0 Replies