In every situation the word learned would be pronounced as ['lə:nid] ?

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 01:16 am

1) He is a learned scholar;

2) He has learned how to ski.

The same?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 646 • Replies: 7
No top replies

aidan

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 01:29 am
@oristarA,
No, 'learn-ed', as in your first example is an adjective.
Learned - as in your second sentence- is a verb.

They are pronounced differently - the adjective is pronounced with two syllables and the verb 'learned' is pronounced with one.

You can also spell the past tense of the verb 'learn' - 'learnt- and it is pronounced as spelled- or 'spelt'.
oristarA

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 04:07 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

No, 'learn-ed', as in your first example is an adjective.
Learned - as in your second sentence- is a verb.

They are pronounced differently - the adjective is pronounced with two syllables and the verb 'learned' is pronounced with one.

When serves as an adj, reads ['lə:nid]?
When a verb, ['lə:nd]?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 04:31 am
Not quite. A learned response would be pronounced just as the past participle of the verb is pronounced, and means a response acquired as a result of learning, rather than an instinctive response.

In fact, learned pronounced as in your first example is uncommon, and is, for as far as i can recollect at the moment, only pronounced that way when the adjective is used to describe a person renowned for their learning.
oristarA

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 04:41 am
@Setanta,
Cool.
['lə:nd] is the common pronunciation for learned?
Thank you.
Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 04:48 am
@oristarA,
Yes, it is the almost invariable pronunciation, with the exception i noted. Past participles are only pronounced in that manner in a very few, specific cases, or when needed to sustain the meter in poetry.
oristarA

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 04:49 am
@Setanta,
Thank you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 12:26 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
In fact, learned pronounced as in your first example is uncommon, and is, for as far as i can recollect at the moment, only pronounced that way when the adjective is used to describe a person renowned for their learning.

I think "learned" [lur-ned] may be more accurately described as something connected to advanced learning. It's not simply used to "describe a person renowned for their learning", as we can see in the phrase, "a learned response".
0 Replies