Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Yah Sure.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:31 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Yah Sure.

Laughing Your response is in fact right in line with the typical Republican line on this issue, and one of the major reasons Obama will cruise to re-election next year.

You guys never let facts get in the way of a meme you like, do ya?

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:32 pm
you know who i regret voting for?

cindy horton for grade 8 class president, that's who
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
What he said.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:44 pm
@joefromchicago,
Our only alternative seems to be fundamentalists who don't agree with me about much of anything.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:45 pm
Not one bit! I'll vote for him again in 2012.
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:56 pm
@joefromchicago,
Not one bit. I think he inherited a huge mess from the previous administration, and has had to deal with unprecedented problems too. As far as keeping campaign promises: any candidate can make promises, but only when the Oval Office swings wide and the realities of the job become apparent does the winner say "Holy ****" and try to make the best of an impossible job. I will proudly vote for him again.
chai2

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:27 pm
@mags314772,
Those are my feelings too mags.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:38 pm
I am not sorry that i voted for him given the choices we had. Now ask me if I am satisified with all he has done. Get out of Iraq and Afghanistan was the thing I hold against him. No single pay on health care. I for one will not agree to vote for him untill I see who else is running. He wasent my first or second choice and I may want to vote for someone who is liberal rather than a military centerest who pretends to be liberal.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Ever the partisan (can't you get 15-minute breaks?).
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:44 pm
@joefromchicago,
No, I'm not stupid enough to waste my time voting (and I don't buy into the nonsense about how it's a civic responsibility either, it's a privilege). I have more influence in the presidential election yelling randomly at people in the street than voting as a CA resident. But I don't regret supporting Obama. As he was campaigning I was offput by his pandering (while pretending he was above pandering and idealistic) but still prefer him to McCain or Hillary and there were no other viable candidates.

P.S. Anyone who believed his campaign bullshit about being different from "Washington" deserves their disappointment. Obama is all about Obama. If he thinks that sticking to his purported ideals on stuff like Gitmo or torture would hurt him politically he will swap for a new set of ideals instead.

"These are my principled ideals, if they are politically inconvenient I have others."
roger

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Oh hey! That's right, he did not in fact have a veto proof majority in the senate after the election of Scott Brown, but if you can't do it with that kind of majority in both houses, you might consider that it just isn't worth doing. Not that you are willing to consider much of anything.
snood

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:45 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I am not sorry that i voted for him given the choices we had. Now ask me if I am satisified with all he has done. Get out of Iraq and Afghanistan was the thing I hold against him. No single pay on health care. I for one will not agree to vote for him untill I see who else is running. He wasent my first or second choice and I may want to vote for someone who is liberal rather than a military centerest who pretends to be liberal.

Do you take into consideration that no matter who your candidate ends up being, or how lofty their ideals, their campaign rhetoric isn't going to exactly match what they are actually able to do in the framework of our checked-and-balanced, corporate donor corrupted, egomaniac populated government?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:52 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Oh hey! That's right, he did not in fact have a veto proof majority in the senate after the election of Scott Brown, but if you can't do it with that kind of majority in both houses, you might consider that it just isn't worth doing. Not that you are willing to consider much of anything.

There's no reason for all this bile, Roger.

The Republicans over the last 3 years have done a great job holding the line against Obama. They went instantly and relelentlessly negative on every single thing that he proposed and refused to compromise an inch. In a few cases - such as the ACA - the Dems managed to push the bills through anyway.

But the majority of bills passed by the House last cycle never got a chance to even get VOTED on in the Senate, thanks to the filibuster - and to the Republicans in Congress. Obama certainly had no problem passing all sorts of liberal bills through the House.

Though it may be a meme on YOUR side of the fence, that Obama simply failed at his responsibilities in a vacuum, people who pay attention to politics aren't fooled by such glib assertions. And while you may be fooled by the bullshit spouted by your party, many if not most are not. That's why, though Obama polls low compared to where I would like to see him, the Republican party polls FAR lower on pretty much every issue - and Obama is highly unlikely to lose the next election.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Ever the partisan (can't you get 15-minute breaks?).

Never mind the fact that what I wrote was perfectly true.

It's just partisan to point it out, I guess.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

@Cycloptichorn,
I am talking about the part where you denigrate roger as not letting facts get in the way of his "meme" and imply that this is a failing of all Republicans.

That was just your usual, partisan douchebaggery.
RABEL222

@snood,
Of course, but that dont mean that I cant hold him to his word. One of the things I hated about bush was what a lier he was and that is what I hate about so called religious conseratives. And all conseratives claim to be religious even when they are screwing their grandmothers out of their life savings. But the dems are also lying bastards who talk one way to the populace and once they are elected give the rich 10% just what they want want trusting that the common mans memory wont extend the 4 or 6 years to their next election.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
So, facts aren't interesting in your little world. Party on. . . .
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You act like a jackass to anyone who doesn't share your political views but whine about them responding in kind?

I think roger's "bile" over the entire lifetime of this site doesn't equate to one week of yours. You could learn from him, he's one of the most respectful people on this site.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 03:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

You act like a jackass to anyone who doesn't share your political views but whine about them responding in kind?

Read the thread a little better before snapping off responses, RG.

Here's my actual response to what he initially wrote:

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

roger wrote:

What was wrong with his environment? He had solid majorities in both houses of Congress.

C'mon. The Republicans proved that anything less than 60+ in the Senate isn't a 'solid majority' anymore. When the other side is willing to abuse the rules and filibuster every single bill, very little can get done - and that which does ends up being heavily watered down.

Not only that, but Obama inherited a massive recession - caused primarily by a failure of the last group to do their job - and has had to deal with a huge variety of problems which could not possibly have been anticipated in the early part of the 2008 campaign.

Cycloptichorn

That's acting like a jackass? That's giving someone a hard time?

Absolutely not. He posted a question, I answered the question without making a single comment about him whatsoever.

He then responded with a flip denunciation of my position; to which I responded in kind. And here you are giving ME a hard time about it!

Quote:
I think roger's "bile" over the entire lifetime of this site doesn't equate to one week of yours. You could learn from him, he's one of the most respectful people on this site.

Well, that's in large part because he engages in no serious analysis or back-and-forth of opinion whatsoever. Just the occasional comment, based in right-wing ideology, typically with little supporting evidence or logic. And when challenged on it, he retreats from the field.

Easy to keep your hands clean when you don't play the game.

Cycloptichorn