Rovers on Mars

rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 11:05 am
Acquiunk wrote:
Consider this. For the first two weeks Spirit is an exemplary prob. Then 48 hours before it's sibling arrives it: refuses to go to bed, when told to it give NASA a raspberry ( random 0 and 1"s) phtttttt, it then refuse to talk to NASA, when it finally talks, it sulks, just hours before it's sibling land it is finally forced to bed ( and it beeps back), when NASA checks it the next day it's room (files) is a mess.

Do we have a "little problem" here?

Yeh, and don't make us come up there to fix you, or we're really gonna be pissed. Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 04:06 pm
no tv for you.!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 04:49 pm
There is also a hypothesis that a solar event on the last Wednesday might have played a role in the flash memory malfunctioning of Spirit.

(A link to a color image:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040126a/MERB_Sol1_Postcard-B002R1_br2.jpg )
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:14 pm
The layered Mars rock "may" be sedimentary related with past water.
(As I have some experiences of rock climbing, I can imagine the firm touch of sedimentary layered rock.)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39790000/jpg/_39790441_marsrocks_nasa_203.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:27 pm
funny thing is that when I first saw those pix, I thought of fused sand (which goes with the impact crater) instead of bedrock. Of course, if it were still fused sand, that crater'd have to be pretty recent.

And that image you posted, Satt, looks way more like bedrock than the one's I saw online earlier today.

It's all still so magical.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:28 pm
satt_focusable wrote:
The layered Mars rock "may" be sedimentary related with past water.

Mmmmmm, sedimentary rocks Smile ... you know what you sometimes find in sedimentary rocks (at least on Earth) ... FOSSILS! Now wouldn't *that* be a shocker Shocked

Not that I think it's likely or anything, but who knows. We've never poked around on Mars before, so it's possible that ancient Mars had a lot more than microbes, it *could* have had a Cambrian explosion for all we know. It could have been on exactly the same track as Earth, up until its geosphere changed and wiped everything out (and we would have no way of knowing this without looking far more closely than we ever have before).

Smile Sorry... just indulging in a bit of dreaming Smile
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:31 pm
Why stop there... maybe we will find pottery shards...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:47 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Why stop there... maybe we will find pottery shards...

Ok, point taken. I guess the farther we go, the less likely things become (probably by quantum leaps).

But if they find a fossil you're gonna have to buy me a beer Wink
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:53 pm
Quote:
..funny thing is that when I first saw those pix, I thought of fused sand (which goes with the impact crater) instead of bedrock. Of course, if it were still fused sand, that crater'd have to be pretty recent.

At first sight of the initial photo, I could notice it was bedrock firmly rooted on the site. I have keen eyes in rock from my experience. In climbing it is vital to yor life to tell firm rock from another.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:51 pm
satt, where did that last shot you posted come from/ was it the crater edge ? or is it a newer pan of some different area. To me it looks like two kinds of fractureson igneous rocks like aa. the layers that look like sed rocks could be exfoliar fractures and the straight lines that break these into blocks could be later joints cross cutting the earlier and reflecting some uplift or bedrock motion.
though, I have to admit, it would be really neat that they were sedimentary.
Hey brown , howbout if those rocks are an ancient fire pit?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 07:55 pm
farmerman wrote:
satt, where did that last shot you posted come from/ was it the crater edge ?

You can easily see that it came from the second quadrant of the following.

http://www.universetoday.com/am/uploads/2004-0127bedrock-lg.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 05:21 am
yeh, the whole shot even looks more like exfoliar jointing. its common of certain types of igneous rocks. the rock breaks off like the skin of an onion. It will be neat if they get that golf cart right up to the outcroppings and take close in pix of the cracks and joints
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 08:01 am
If Opportunity is inside a crater which is inside another crater, then these rock formations could be something never seen on Earth: Shock melted rock exposed through multiple impacts.

Also, it stuck me the other day just how hard it will be for the Rover to do the things which Geologists here take for granted. For example, if those rocks were sedimentary, then a person might walk up to them and scrape a pick through some exposed debris, or tap the rocks to look for weakness and then use a pick to exploit any exposed cracks. A human would quickly pry up a piece of rock and roll it around to examine it, but the rover will have a very hard time doing this.

In part it's amazing how advanced those rovers are (and how far robotics has come in such a short time), but it's also amazing how far they still have to go to match the interactive state which we accomplish with ease.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 08:58 am
Farmerman, Satt and Rosborne et. al.

I just want to say how much I enjoy your informed observations and conjectures on this thread. It is neat to be able to discuss this with people who have geology experience.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 09:42 am
Well, I'm no geologist, or rock climber, but I did my fair share of fossil hunting when I was younger.

I'm enjoying this thread as well, and it's nice to have a physics teacher with us (EBrown) Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 09:48 am
Yep - you guys are cool! I have a 20 year old minor degree in geology and you guys remind me how much I have forgotten. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:02 pm
You won't hear much from me, but I am happily reading along.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 01:51 pm
aw shucks, bein a geologist just allows me to not have to do anything useful.
When i said the joints looked like onion skins , this is common in piles of rock from multiple lava flows or ash falls, it is sort of a sedimentary rock technically. I would love to see that its more wind or water deposited, but well have to get closer and see it in 3 dimensions better. As long as we keep getting pix , Im a happy little nocker.
i sawa cartoon with the rovers camera pointing one way at a pile of rocks and a bunch of aliens behind , mooning it and giving it the finger. Such rich humor.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 02:06 pm
Can't wait to hear more detail from the little guys. Did I read that Spirit was coming back to the realm of useful?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:06 am
http://spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html

"SATURDAY, JANUARY 31, 2004 1154 GMT (6:54 a.m. EST):
Scientists just proclaimed that Opportunity has verified the existence of gray hematite at the landing site. This is a mineral that usually, but not always, forms in the presence of water."

This is another possible proof of past water, in addition to the layerd sedimentary rock.
0 Replies