Rovers on Mars

Jiggy

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 04:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
I imagine there will be galactic war, as nations fight to control resources on various planets. So I could well imagine the greed to sell those resources to build defensive and offensive arsenal. A real life RTS, if it's not Sci-Fi.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 02:58 pm
The latest Mars probe is seconds from landing.

The scientists and engineers look happy so far. Lots of cheering.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 03:00 pm
@oralloy,
It made it. Safe and successful landing.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 04:40 pm
@oralloy,
I thought that one girl was gonna go hysterical. Camera cut away pretty quick.

I don’t blame her a bit.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 07:50 am
So, anybody up for betting on Perseverance finding signs of life on Mars?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 10:04 am
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210510-could-the-perseverance-rover-have-carried-life-to-mars
Could humans have contaminated Mars with life?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 06:22 pm
China's Mars rover should hit the surface tomorrow. I wish them every success.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2021 02:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

China's Mars rover should hit the surface tomorrow. I wish them every success.

Some think the landing will be about 3 hours from now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2021 03:59 pm
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/14/22436072/china-tianwen-1-mars-landing-zhurong-rover
“The main task of Tianwen-1 is to perform a global and extensive survey of the entire planet using the orbiter, and to send the rover to surface locations of scientific interests to conduct detailed investigations with high accuracy and resolution,” the mission’s top scientists wrote in Nature Astronomy last year. The roughly 240kg rover is nearly twice the mass of China’s Yutu Moon rovers.

Tianwen-1 is the name of the overall Mars mission, named after the long poem “Tianwen,” which means “Questions to Heaven.” It marks the latest in a quick succession of advances in space exploration for China. The country became the first nation in history to land and operate a rover on the far side of the Moon in 2019. It also completed a brief lunar sample mission in December last year, launching a robot to the Moon and swiftly returning it back to Earth with a cache of Moon rocks for evaluation.

TOPSHOT-CHINA-SPACE-SCIENCE
China’s Long March 5B, the same rocket used to send Tianwen-1 to Mars, launches a space station module last month. Photo by STR / AFP via Getty Images
More recently, China launched the first core module of its planned space station, Tianhe, which will serve as living quarters for groups of astronauts. The rocket that launched that module spawned an international freakout over where on Earth it might reenter. (It eventually reentered over the Indian Ocean, and large chunks of the rocket splashed down roughly 30 miles off an island in the Maldives, the Chinese government said.)

Despite this ambitious trek to Mars with its trio of three robots, China’s focus seems to be fixed on the Moon — the same immediate destination for NASA’s Artemis program. Earlier this year, China announced plans to build a lunar space station and base on the Moon’s surface with Russia, NASA’s longtime partner on the International Space Station.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2021 09:06 pm
China has become only the second nation to make a soft landing on the red planet.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/china-is-about-to-attempt-a-highly-ambitious-landing-on-mars/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 07:06 am
I couldn't access China's website for the Mars rover.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 May, 2021 05:51 pm
https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/status/305/surviving-an-in-flight-anomaly-what-happened-on-ingenuitys-sixth-flight/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2021 09:02 pm
The agency’s newest rover is trekking across the Martian landscape using a newly enhanced auto-navigation system.

NASA’s newest six-wheeled robot on Mars, the Perseverance rover, is beginning an epic journey across a crater floor seeking signs of ancient life. That means the rover team is deeply engaged with planning navigation routes, drafting instructions to be beamed up, even donning special 3D glasses to help map their course.

But increasingly, the rover will take charge of the drive by itself, using a powerful auto-navigation system. Called AutoNav, this enhanced system makes 3D maps of the terrain ahead, identifies hazards, and plans a route around any obstacles without additional direction from controllers back on Earth.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasa-s-self-driving-perseverance-mars-rover-takes-the-wheel
0 Replies

bearnard45

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 02:52 am
@edgarblythe,
Talking about Mars rover, I`d like to mention Rosalind Franklin’ mission. This mission will attempt to search for life on Mars. The launch is scheduled for 2022. Interesting fact, that this is the first Mars mission by British aerospace companies. Looking forward to this mission and I hope it will open some new things for us.
https://www.skyrora.com/blog/uk-space-news
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 05:21 am
@bearnard45,
Thank you for that. I was not aware.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 08:27 am
0 Replies