Rovers on Mars

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 10:03 am
@cicerone imposter,
I think the scientists involved here can recognize certain factors that make it likely they are correct. I am not trained in any of this, so I mostly wait for those who are to clarify the issues.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 12:02 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Yep, we’re seeing all the stuff needed, at least in the past, to breed a bunch of Martian life. Still noth'n.

I don’t think mars rovers make very good hunter-gatherers.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 05:37 pm
@rosborne979,
No sweat, Elon will check it out personally shortly. A bacteria or two ought to be easy, or at least a few diatoms.
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 10:18 pm
@rosborne979,
Yep, Sometimes the machinry isnt built to do th job and mot of the time we blindly stumble on things that work it out.

It was just like the time that boat toed magnetometers(used to locate mines couldnt detect changes on the earths magnetic declination over great distances until they came out with the mega gaussian drivers to hunt for deep mines that they were getting huge mag interference signals that were actually caused not by mines, but by deep ocean magmas reaching a curie point wrt the planets magnetic field. Accidently the minesweepers discovered evidence for the Wegner Hypothesis called continntal drift.
Also like Penzias an Wilson having to cleam out the pigeon **** from their "space horn" and gaind some evidence of the Big Bang
rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 04:28 am
@Leadfoot,
These rovers aren’t even looking for bacteria or diatoms, so unless something obvious like a fossil shell shows up in the camera view they aren’t going to find it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 04:29 am
@farmerman,
These rovers are good at what they are programmed to do, but for exploration nothing beats human boots on the ground.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2019 06:48 am
@rosborne979,
Yeah, but all the excitement when they thought Rover caught the scent of a Martian fart was amusing.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 04:38 am
@Leadfoot,
I think Methane on Mars is a thrilling discovery. I can’t wait to find out what is causing it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 07:15 pm

Elon Musk

@elonmusk
· Aug 20, 2019
Might make sense to have thousands of solar reflector satellites 🛰 to warm Mars vs artificial suns (tbd)

Elon Musk

@elonmusk
Nuke Mars refers to a continuous stream of very low fallout nuclear fusion explosions above the atmosphere to create artificial suns. Much like our sun, this would not cause Mars to become radioactive.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 05:12 pm
So far, mission scientists haven't offered any indication as to the nature of the colored substance and have said only that it is "gel-like" and has an "unusual color." One possible explanation, outside researchers suggested, is that the substance is melt glass created from meteorites striking the surface of the moon.

Yutu-2's discovery isn't scientists' first lunar surprise, however. Apollo 17 astronaut and geologist Harrison Schmitt discovered orange-colored soil near the mission's Taurus-Littrow landing site in 1972, prompting excitement from both Schmitt and his moonwalk colleague, Gene Cernan. Lunar geologists eventually concluded that the orange soil was created during an explosive volcanic eruption 3.64 billion years ago.

https://www.space.com/china-far-side-moon-rover-strange-substance.html?fbclid=IwAR1fup1V0LIFGBEyYBuBpuXaMmT8ZJnuCXVdTt3MOw9-ehy0iX3_KcXJvzo
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 10:59 am
One step closer to the Moon: Indian lander successfully separates from Chandrayaan-2 spaceship

https://www.rt.com/news/467805-india-chandrayaan-vikram-lander-moon/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 04:39 pm

https://www.cnet.com/news/holy-smokes-this-nasa-mars-curiosity-rover-image-is-haunting/
https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/1T6ijBX1h1c0BpHgOPR4M76ermY=/2019/11/02/0dfc4269-4389-43a1-be10-5e4fd770953e/curiosityroverbutteview.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 07:04 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2019 08:09 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2019 08:24 am
Something Strange And Unseen Seems to Be Causing Distant Galaxies to Synchronise

https://www.sciencealert.com/something-strange-is-causing-distant-galaxies-to-synchronise
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2019 06:36 pm
Pretty sure I heard a Beep beep and then an explosion over the horizon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2019 09:24 am
NASA finds Mars water ice deposits astronauts could reach with a shovel
According to NASA's "treasure map," future Red Planet astronauts won't have to carry all their water from Earth.
https://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-finds-mars-water-ice-deposits-astronauts-could-reach-with-a-shovel/
rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 02:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

NASA finds Mars water ice deposits astronauts could reach with a shovel
I wish we had an astronaut on Mars... with a shovel...

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2019 02:45 pm
@rosborne979,
Aw, I can't do everything. It's all I can do to post about it.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2019 06:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Mole" i once again working. The JPL guy jut hifted the "bit" to the left and right and free it of whatever was holding it back. This is a technique usd by water well drillers. I woner of they got some ole rotary drill boys from Arkansas who do the dowsing to help NASA out??