Rovers on Mars

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 01:55 pm
@Setanta,
That is impressive. Thanks for sharing that information.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 02:33 pm
The Elysium Planitia where the new rover is to land is to the west of Olympus Mons, and straddles the equator.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 02:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Just 18 days to go.

edgarblythe wrote:

Mars InSight Lands on November 26th. Here’s where it’s going to touch down
https://www.universetoday.com/140455/mars-insight-lands-on-november-26th-heres-where-its-going-to-touch-down/?fbclid=IwAR1EEJnszWjU4xItBSL5nzLetQn6q2bP8pqlnJ1jJ01DWQOxaTaASqgTY6o
if one were to describe the region where NASA’s Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport (InSight) lander will be landing (on Nov. 26th, 2018), the word “plain” would probably come to mind (and it would be appropriate). This region is known as Elysium Planitia, and it is where InSight will spend the next few years studying Mars’ interior structure and tectonic activity for the sake of learning more about its history.

To put it simply, Elysium Planitia is a broad plain that straddles the equatorial region of Mars. While there are several interesting features there, such as ancient volcanoes, large craters, and river valleys, the site where InSight will be landing is decidedly flat and boring-looking. Given the nature of InSight’s mission; however, these same characteristics make it the ideal spot.

Smooth, flat ground dominates InSight’s landing ellipse in the Elysium Planitia region of Mars. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU
As Bruce Banerdt, InSight’s principal investigator at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, explained in a recent NASA press release:

“If Elysium Planitia were a salad, it would consist of romaine lettuce and kale – no dressing. If it were an ice cream, it would be vanilla… Previous missions to the Red Planet have investigated its surface by studying its canyons, volcanoes, rocks and soil. But the signatures of the planet’s formation processes can be found only by sensing and studying evidence buried far below the surface. It is InSight’s job to study the deep interior of Mars, taking the planet’s vital signs – its pulse, temperature and reflexes.”

Because InSight is a lander, it will be staying in one place for the duration of its mission. As such, the landing site needed to fulfill a number of requirements. These included the site being bright and warm enough to power the lander’s solar cells and keep its electronics within temperature limits for an entire Martian year (26 Earth months). This led the team to focus on the equatorial band, where the lander would be able to get enough sunlight year-round.

The site also needed to be low-enough in terms of elevation to have sufficient atmosphere above it, which will ensure that the lander slows down enough (from air friction) before deploying its chute and landing rockets to make a safe landing. To ensure that the three-legged lander could touch down and deploy its solar cells safely, the site also needed to be relatively flat, free of rocks and not subject to strong winds.

This artist’s concept depicts the smooth, flat ground that dominates InSight’s landing ellipse in the Elysium Planitia region of Mars. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
Of the original 22 sites that were considered, only three made it to final round back in August of 2013. There included Elysium Planitia, Isidis Planitia and Valles Marineris. To see how these three contenders measured up, the team examined reconnaissance images and weather records obtained by NASA’s various Mars orbiters. In the end, Isidis Planitia and Valles Marineris were ruled out for being too rocky and windy.

This left Elysium Planitia, or more specifically, an elliptical stretch of land located on the western edge of a flat, smooth expanse of lava plane. This patch of land runs roughly from west to east and measures about 130 km (81 mi) in length and 27 km (17 mi) in width. As Tom Hoffman, InSight project manager at JPL, explained:

“Picking a good landing site on Mars is a lot like picking a good home: It’s all about location, location, location. And for the first time ever, the evaluation for a Mars landing site had to consider what lay below the surface of Mars. We needed not just a safe place to land, but also a workspace that’s penetrable by our 16-foot-long (5-meter) heat-flow probe.”

Once deployed, the InSight lander will rely on three instruments to take the “vital signs” of Mars and learn more about the history of the Solar System when the rocky planets has just formed. These instruments include the Seismic Experiment for Interior Structure (SEIS), the Heat Flow and Physical Properties Package (HP3), and the Rotation and Interior Structure Experiment (RISE).

This artist’s concept depicts the InSight lander on Mars after the lander’s robotic arm has deployed a seismometer and a heat probe directly onto the ground. Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech
The SEIS instrument – which was developed by France’s National Center for Space Studies (CNES) in collaboration with NASA and several European scientific institutions – will record Mars’ seismic waves and attempt to determine if they are the result of “marsquakes” and meteor impacts. This information will also reveal a great deal about the planet’s interior layers.

The HP³ probe, supplied by the German Aerospace Center (DLR), will use a Polish-made self-hammering mechanism to bury itself deeper than any previous Martian probe – 3 meters (10 feet) or more. As it descends, the probe will extend sensors that will measure the temperature profile of the subsurface. Combined with surface measurements, the instrument will determine the amount of heat escaping from the planet’s interior.

The (RISE) experiment will use the lander’s X-band radio link to conduct Doppler tracking of the lander’s location, which will also allow it to measure variations in Mars’ rotational axis. Since these variations are primarily related to the size and state of Mars’ core, this experiment will shed light on how Mars lost its magnetosphere billions of years ago (and hence, most of its atmosphere and surface water).

The rocket that launched InSight also launched a separate NASA technology experiment known as Mars Cube One (MarCO), which consists of two CubeSats that are traveling to Mars behind InSight. The purpose of this mission is to test the ability of miniaturized deep space communications equipment, which will relay InSight data back to Earth as it enters the Martian atmosphere and lands.

An artist’s rendering of the twin Mars Cube One (MarCO) spacecraft as they fly through deep space. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
By studying Mars interior, InSight will help scientists to determine what was happening roughly 4.5 billion years ago. This was a time when all the rocky planets in our Solar System (Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars) had just formed from the Sun’s circumsolar dust ring. By learning more about it’s core, the mission will shed light on one of Mars’ most enduring mysteries: how it went from being warmer and wetter to the dry and freezing place we know today.

The answers to these questions will also teach us more about the conditions and circumstances under which life formed here on Earth, and how it might have once existed (and possibly still does) on Mars. With InSight scheduled to land later this month – a little before 3 p.m. EST (12 p.m. PST) on Nov. 26th – and with the first science results expected three months later, we can anticipate some very interesting finds about the Red Planet coming soon!

Be sure to check out this overview of the Mars InSight mission, courtesy of NASA/JPL:
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 02:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
There's a significant error in there. A year on Mars is 686.8 days (that's 687 days sidereal, but I won't get into that). A Martian day is 24 hours and not quite 40 minutes. So a Martian year is about twenty-two months by Earth reckoning. The article said 26 months. The article if full of poop on that point.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 03:09 pm
@Setanta,
What? I gotta fire that person.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 03:15 pm
Naw . . . just reduce his annual bonus and give him a stern warning. If he does it again, take him to the front entrance and give him a hearty handshake and a swift kick in the @ss.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 03:23 pm
@Setanta,
Not saying I have the statistics memorized, but I tend to skim over that sort of information, knowing I wouldn't recall it ten minutes later. I normally only concentrate on the central message.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 03:34 pm
I have been studying Mars, almost obsessively, for more than 20 years now. Those kinds of things stick in my mind.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 03:37 pm
@Setanta,
It's not for lack of interest on my part. I have to keep such information in folders for reference, because my ability for recall is so limited.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 05:10 pm
https://www.wnd.com/2018/11/scientist-speaks-out-on-alien-spacecraft-space-rock/
Added to the flying saucer lore. Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 07:35 am
NASA Brings Mars Landing, First in Six Years, to Viewers Everywhere Nov. 26

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-brings-mars-landing-first-in-six-years-to-viewers-everywhere-nov-26
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 08:08 am
@edgarblythe,
There are two reasons to wonder about that big rock. One is that it was moving very fast. The other is that it appeared to be moving in the plane of the ecliptic, which would be an enormous coincidence for a naturally occurring object. But it's not out of the realm of possibility--it's improbable, but not impossible. I am wary of agreeing just on a "wouldn't it be cool" basis.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 08:10 am
Oh, and even if it were an artifact, it wouldn't necessarily have come here to look at us. At the speed it was traveling, it wasn't going to have gotten much data on us, and not everything is about mankind. If it is an artifact, the designers could simply have been using our star as a gravity handle.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 08:35 am
@Setanta,
Yeah. More added to the "flying saucer lore." I just thought it was interesting reading, like New Mexico used to be fifty years ago.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 02:37 pm
I find it fascinatin' though . . . as for Roswell, that's a hoot. The "wreckage" was from a high-altitude balloon, of the type used by the weather bureau. It was a part of Project Mogul, an Army Air Force project to spy on the Soviet Union. When the local newspaper in Roswell called it wreckage from a flying saucer (tongue-in-cheek, it was the "silly season" in newspaper terms), the Army Air Force was happy to let that story run. It would divert attention from Project Mogul, and it was silly enough to dismiss.

In 1978, a huckster saw the possibility of exploiting peoples' credulity and wrote the first book about the so-called "Roswell incident.'' The ranch hand, Brazel, had found the debris a hell of a long way from Roswell, but there was the hook of the flying saucer story in the Roswell newspaper. The good folks in Roswell, have, of course, exploited it for sake of some tourist bucks. They even have an annual UFO festival . . .

https://i2.wp.com/www.ufofestivalroswell.com/wpdocs/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2018-ufo-festival-logo.png?resize=300%2C300
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:30 pm
If I lived in Roswell I too would be hawking UFO stuff.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2018 12:08 am
@edgarblythe,
I remember in college memorizing whole pages to prepare for tests. Today, I'm lucky to remember one sentence.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2018 06:59 pm
InSight lands tomorrow.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2018 06:27 am
It is scheduled to land at Noon, Pacific time (the Jet Propulsion Lab is in Pasadena, California). That's one p.m. Mountain time, two p.m. Central time, and three p.m. Eastern time. Click here to visit the JPL summary page, which includes a link to watch the landing on-line*. (*Well, sort of watching it on-line--right now, Mars and Earth are relatively close, so the light speed gap is only eight minutes. If it crash-lands, you will be seeing that eight minutes after it happens.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2018 08:05 am
Be there or be square.
0 Replies