Rovers on Mars

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 03:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
They don't seem to think the intended location of Curiosity is hospitable to life. No surface ice or anything.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 04:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Unlikely to be" sounds uncertain to me!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 04:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Just like the "Columbian Exchange" was a huge force in the spread of diseases and non native species world wide. The latest term for our geologic age (It used to be called the "anthropocene" ) now the GSA wants to call it the "homogenocene". Because everything from Asia is in the Americas and vice versa
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 09:35 pm
In the meantime, Voyager I is about to leave the solar system.
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 03:05 am
@edgarblythe,
Is that anything like Elvis has left the building?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 05:24 am
@Setanta,
I doubt it, since Elvis was planning on coming back, when that was announced.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 06:30 am
He's been gone a helluva long time, EB . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 01:25 pm
--- or, has he?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 01:41 pm
Opportunity finds more evidence of water on Mars

The Article wrote:
Steve Squyres, principal investigator for Opportunity, said in a statement: "This tells a slam-dunk story that water flowed through underground fractures in the rock. This stuff is a fairly pure chemical deposit that formed in place right where we see it. That can't be said for other gypsum seen on Mars or for other water-related minerals Opportunity has found. It's not uncommon on Earth, but on Mars, it's the kind of thing that makes geologists jump out of their chairs."
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 02:05 pm
It's about time they found an actual fossil of an organism. I'm getting bored with all this "was there water?" stuff... of course there was water. And there's a damn good chance that conditions were amenable to at least some extremophile form of life. I understand the step by step process that science takes, but I'm not going to live forever. We need to know if Mars had DNA on it and I want to know right now! Ok, I feel better now. Go back to what you were doing.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 02:16 pm
It's too bad they couldn't start 'seeding' the planet now, so that when an expedition arrives, they find shelter and greenhouses growing things, ready and waiting. Seems like if they can put a Buick Six on there, they could put lots of stuff.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 05:49 pm
@rosborne979,
ros, I think many of us are impatient with the progress about finding life on another planet, but to put it into perspective, this kind of science is still relatively new to humans, and the progress we have made in the past 100 years is an amazing achievement. I still marvel that so much has been achieved during the past quarter century.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:01 am

Scientists polish rover skills as Curiosity lander nears Mars

Arizona Daily Star - ‎‎

LOS ANGELES - The Curiosity rover is within 100 days of landing on Mars, and scientists at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory are jazzed about the coming adventures of the biggest rover yet sent to the red planet.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Cant wait to start getting all the higher res photos and the info from the new gizmos they stuck onto this one.

Hope the landing goes off without any hitches.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:40 am
I would love there to be a dozen of these things up there.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:56 am
@edgarblythe,
The first thing we should be taking a hard look at is probably phobos. Older black/white photos of Phobos did not look that unusual but the thing was known early on to be non solid from orbital data and the new color HIRISE images from 08 show it to be made of metallic strakes and highly reflective i.e. the thing is clearly artificial, basically an ancient space station, 15 miles across.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/icebear46/phobos_S2.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 01:38 pm
Will Robinson, do not stand too close to the isotropic machine. It will make one of your boys hang lower than the other one. Your eyes will bug inward.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 01:49 pm
@gungasnake,
Ah-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

That boy will believe anything . . .
parados

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 02:17 pm
@Setanta,
But it's so shiny.... and reflective.. and shiny!!
Setanta

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 02:35 pm
@parados,
Yeah . . . and i just noticed--it's covered in alien landing signs . . .
0 Replies