Oddities in language

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 01:14 pm
I've noticed that British people seem to always add "indeed" at the end of their sentences. What does it mean? Why do they do it?

It seems that young people in American can't resist injecting "you know" in the sentences. Why do they do that?

What language oddities have you noticed? Do they annoy you? Do you have any of your own?

BBB

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,333 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 01:31 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'm quite often in the UK (since 1963), know quite a few British and meet them (actually, some just left our house) - but I've never noticed what you've noticed, BBB.

It's used in the UK, sometimes to express irony or disbelief or surprise, often instead of "without any question".
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 01:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I noticed it often used by British news broadcasters saying "indeed" at the end of their sentences.

BBB

Verbal Tic

"Oh, it's just an endearing little quirk of hers. I'm sure we'll all get used to it.''
— David Kaye, This Is Wonderland

An exceptionally odd Catch Phrase used to the point it seems more like a bodily emission than speaking. This is often a single nonsense word added at the end of sentences, well past the expected formal variations in speech, eh?

Contrast with Strange Syntax Speaker, where the character is using language rules unknown to others. See also Character Tics, for similar idiosyncrases applied to physical behavior.

This is Truth in Television too, as some regional dialects like, totally have a little bit of this as part of their local mannerisms, eh? Oh, look. Now you've Got Me Doing It ~desu.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-245585.html
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 02:47 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I've never noticed the 'indeed'.

I have noticed and suffered with 'you know' - my ex had that as a sentence part for what was probably a few months back in the eighties and it was near scary. He's a person who studied rhetoric, for heaven's sake. I tried not to batter him with my observation, as that's both demeaning and useless - it was clearly a kind of tic, maybe even a stress signal. He worked his way out of it and hasn't used it again to my knowledge.

I think we tend not to notice our own near constant catch phrases, or adjectives.
Of my own, I used to say 'really' way too much, along with 'actually' as a runner up. One is oft the last to notice, indeed.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 02:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds - back in high school, we had a canadian priest visit our school to give us spiritual lessons. All I remember of those was that he had a nice voice and ended sentences with 'what?', said sort of as 'wht?'. That's deep in my brain, and I still find it a familiar thing to say though I tamped that down even just after learning it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 03:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, but like, you know. Right?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 05:36 pm
@roger,
I hope I don't say like... uh oh.
Right? Right.
0 Replies