Sounds native? Not in my ears, if not too in yours, edit it please

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 01:16 am
In North China's Shanxi province, flour is a main material for the food, and there are more than a hundred types of food made from flour in the area. While making food, people hundreds of years ago tried to make it beautiful, as well as delicious. They made the steamed bread or other kinds of cake into different shapes. And these cakes and breads are the so-called "flour sculpture" today.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 626 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 08:59 am
@oristarA,
In North China's Shanxi province, flour is a standard culinary ingredient; there are more than a hundred breads, cakes or pastries made from flour in the area. The tradition in Shanxi has always been: when you are making something to eat, you try to make it as beautiful as it is delicious. Today, the steamed breads or other kinds of cake are formed and twisted into a vast variety of shapes, works of both cuisine and art which are deservedly called, not just food, but flour sculptures.

I hope this sounds better.
Joe(btw it's "Not to my ears". )Nation
oristarA

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 09:09 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

In North China's Shanxi province, flour is a standard culinary ingredient; there are more than a hundred breads, cakes or pastries made from flour in the area. The tradition in Shanxi has always been: when you are making something to eat, you try to make it as beautiful as it is delicious. Today, the steamed breads or other kinds of cake are formed and twisted into a vast variety of shapes, works of both cuisine and art which are deservedly called, not just food, but flour sculptures.

I hope this sounds better.
Joe(btw it's "Not to my ears". )Nation

It looks and sounds better.

Only a puzzle remains: "try to make it as beautiful as it is delicious." Logically speaking, you try to make it delicious, and at the same time, try to make it beautiful. To put the two meanings together, we can use your structure? I'm not sure about this.

contrex

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:08 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Only a puzzle remains: "try to make it as beautiful as it is delicious." Logically speaking, you try to make it delicious, and at the same time, try to make it beautiful. To put the two meanings together, we can use your structure? I'm not sure about this.

This is a perfectly normal structure in English. My girlfriend is as wise as she is beautiful.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
You're a wonderful writer, Mr. N.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:22 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
you try to make it as beautiful as it is delicious.

You could also say :
"you try to make something beautiful as well as delicous."
"You try to make something that is both delicious and beautiful."
(reverse)
"You try to make something that is both wonderful to look at and a pleasure to eat."
==
Or
"...in the area. When you're cooking in Shanxi, their centuries old tradition says, it is not enough for the food to taste good, it must also be beautiful. Today, ...)

I'll check back.
Joe( Oristar: I'm laughing to myself a little now because there is a fast food company whose slogan is "Tastes as good as it looks!" A friend of mine used to joke that when he went there the slogan was true because the food always looked awful. :-)
Nation
contrex

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:45 pm
@Joe Nation,
In Britain, with our self-deprecating humour, people sometimes say, when they wish to emphasise that they are not somebody to be trifled with, "I'm not as stupid as I look" (which invites the response "You couldn't be!") or "I'm not as green as I'm cabbage looking".
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:42 pm
@Joe Nation,
Excellent.

Thank you Joe.
0 Replies