CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 09:09 pm
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:

Jane that turtle gained two pounds in just a month!

I can do that in a week Laughing
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 02:23 am

I hope that thay r good friends
and that thay r having a lot of fun together.

David
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 10:29 am
Henry and Harry are soaking for an hour. Henry has grown so much in the last two months he’s outgrowing the plastic soaking pan I bought.

They have to soak every few days to make sure they drink enough water.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg706/scaled.php?server=706&filename=henryharry072812.jpg&res=landing
jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:26 am
@jcboy,
I had to go out and buy a new water troff so Henry and Harry could take a bath. Henry busted the last one.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg100/scaled.php?server=100&filename=henry092512.jpg&res=landing
Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:34 am
@jcboy,
they should make the trough out of the same stuff as used in turtle shell!
jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:40 am
@Ragman,
hehe this one is as big as a wheel barrel!
Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:41 am
@jcboy,
Why not put a saddle on it and let the boy ride it around the place? Rolling Eyes

Is that a box turtle? or a different type?

http://www.dianeszoo.com/floridaboxes.htm
jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:52 am
@Ragman,
He’ll be able to in a few years, they're both African sulcata tortoise’s, they get big like this guy.

http://leicalady.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/img_39683.jpg
Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:31 pm
@jcboy,
Cripes! That is unreal. Can you declare it on your tax return?

Out of curiosity, I just looked it up:

"It is the third largest species of tortoise in the world and the largest species of mainland tortoise (not found on an island)."

Size and lifespan

"The Sulcata is the third largest species of tortoise in the world after the Galapagos tortoise, and Aldabra Giant Tortoise; and the largest of the mainland tortoises. Adults are usually 24 to 36 inch long (60–90 cm) and can weigh 100-200 pounds (45 – 91 kg). They grow from hatchling size (2-3 inches) very quickly, reaching 6-10 inches (15–25 cm) within the first few years of their lives. The lifespan of an African Spurred Tortoise is about 50-150 years, though they can live much longer. (The oldest in captivity is 54 years.)"

Diet

"Sulcata tortoises are herbivores. Primarily, their diet consists of many types of grasses and plants. A small portion of their diet also consists of fruit. Their diet is high in fiber and very low in protein. The consumption of too much protein can cause their shells to take on a pyramid appearance."

I can just hear the petshop sales person now: "Oh, noooo...they don't get too big (if you compare it to a rhino)!"
Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:34 pm
@Ragman,
only if it can do dressage...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:42 pm
@jcboy,
Thay r BEAUTIFUL!

I just hope that thay r enjoying their respective childhoods,
and kicking up their respective heels.

David
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 02:13 pm
@Ragman,
Yep and that’s exactly what I feed them. They have a grassland tortoise food at the pet store, I also give them hibiscus leaves and cactus, once in a while I’ll buy a big butternut squash, they love that!
Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 02:26 pm
@jcboy,
hell, would you declare me as a dependent? They eat better than I do!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 03:37 pm
@jcboy,
That looks like the guy who wanders around our local pet store, they tape a helium balloon to his shell with enough string so that it hovers at eye level, so that people don't trip over him (he's huge but still easy to miss). He's a pretty chilled-out tortoise. Mildly interested in people but mostly just kinda wanders.
MMarciano

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 04:51 pm
@sozobe,
He treats those tortoises like their children, feeds them off china plates. The big mean nasty one is an evil critter!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 05:25 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
The lifespan of an African Spurred Tortoise is about 50-150 years, though they can live much longer. (The oldest in captivity is 54 years.)"

holy kamoley

does Antonio know he'll be living with these tortoises his entire life?
MMarciano

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 05:38 pm
@ehBeth,
One of the conditions when he bought those tortoises he had to put them in his Will. He has them going to the San Diego Zoo. Probably with some type of trust fund. Rolling Eyes Drunk
Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:02 pm
@MMarciano,
careful there...it could be a shell game.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 02:29 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
Yep and that’s exactly what I feed them.
They have a grassland tortoise food at the pet store,
I also give them hibiscus leaves and cactus, once in a while
I’ll buy a big butternut squash, they love that!
R thay vegetarians ?

David
jcboy

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 04:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

!
R thay vegetarians ?

David
[/quote]

Sorry Mr. David, I didn't see this until now, yes they are strict vegetarians. Proteins are not good for them.
0 Replies