jcboy

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 07:24 am
@edgarblythe,
We’re down to just one tortoise egg. The other two that had a slight crack went bad. The shell of this one is now hard but we still don’t know if it will hatch. It’s being kept at 82 degrees in the garage so we will see. Now we don’t know just how many might still in the ground.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2dvv5lu.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 07:32 am
I hope more than that one survives.
jcboy

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 03:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Giving this tortoise a bath. You know ever since she laid those eggs she has been eating non stop. She stays in the hole in the ground and comes out three times a day to feed. She’s probably gained another ten pounds in just two months!

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2mo4m81.jpg
jcboy

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 08:44 am
@jcboy,
I just gave this animal a bath yesterday and look at her already. Mad

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2113rk2.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 08:51 am
Much like my dog.
jcboy

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 08:53 am
@edgarblythe,
Same with ours and we have three dogs.

They stay clean for about two days after getting a bath Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 10:39 am
@jcboy,
dirty and happy

the way things should be

Very Happy
jcboy

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:19 pm
@ehBeth,
We turned her loose in the backyard to graze in the grass and fed her a big piece cactus. This tortoise eats more in one day then our 100lb dog Frankie. We still have one egg not ready to hatch yet and we have no no idea how many are still buried.

Alicia and Alex Martin won’t go anywhere near her. Antonio isn’t afraid of her at all, he feeds her but she's way to heavy to pick up anymore. She’s at the point where she has outgrown her environment yet I'm still not ready to part with her.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/34q5kt4.jpg
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 03:29 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

dirty and happy

the way things should be

Very Happy

Dirty and whimpering has its plus side, as long as one has paid in advance and can remember the safe word.
MMarciano

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 03:19 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I can hardly wait for her to get this big, and at the rate she's growing it will be within the next couple of years!

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 03:25 pm
@MMarciano,
Gorgeous!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 07:55 pm
She now weighs 80lbs. and still growing, gaining about ten to twenty lbs every 4 to 6 months! Not sure how much longer we can keep her but not willing to give her up just yet!

http://oi68.tinypic.com/5zh01z.jpg
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2017 06:36 pm
Okay well it’s finally time to say goodbye to this one as well. She’s too big and strong.

There is no stopping her. She dug a trench along the foundation of the house within two hours. The bigger they get the more space they need. We will call the tortoise rescue facility tomorrow. I really hate to see her go but she will have a better life at the tortoise farm.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2017 06:38 pm
@jcboy,
Did Alicia and Alex Martin ever dare to get closer?

You're one heck of a human and pet dad. Your parents would be so proud of the great guy they raised.
jcboy

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2017 06:51 pm
@ehBeth,
They are afraid of the tortoise because of her claws and when they're outside the tortoise comes charging at them thinking they have food for her. It's not like she's hungry, she just never stops eating.

The bigger she gets the less she wants to do with any of us. If you try to pet her or rub her head she claws at you and tries to push you away! I wish I could keep her but she is getting very destructive now with her size and strength. She's like a tank!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2017 06:51 pm
@jcboy,
There really is a tortoise farm? I nearly died when I found out that Mr Jingles wasnt going to mouse circus .(Shawshank Redemption)
jcboy

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2017 06:53 pm
@farmerman,
There are several, we sent the male to one about two years ago because he was growing bigger and faster than the female, and he was getting aggressive.
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2017 06:58 pm
@jcboy,
I could use an attack tortoise or three on the farm. We have coyotes after the sheep and we have 2 Sicilian donkeys s that are the 'bad cops" > BUt they get bit up because the coyotes quickly learn the donkeys moves'. Mrs F doesnt want the donkies in harms way anymore.

A giant tortoise with attitude would be perfect.All Our pastures are broken up into 15 acre paddock areas +/- 2 acres each. Do they live through winters in which the ground freezes or do they hibernate?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2017 07:09 pm
@jcboy,
Sympathy..
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 01:39 am
@jcboy,
Sorry to hear this, kid. We get attached to living critters--even cold-blooded ones.

I've seen films on Animal Planet of tortoises going after dogs and kids. I've also seen them wreck barbecues. Not to mention the rock humping (any port in a storm).

I'm glad there's a good place for her to go.
0 Replies