jcboy

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 07:43 pm
@ossobuco,
What she ate today really wasn’t considered eating, she ate a few bites of some kale greens, normally she would have gobbled up half a bag but all she ate was a handful. That’s nothing for her.
jcboy

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 07:44 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Where are you planning to take her? the beach?

When they were babies I use to take them to the park and let them walk around and graze in the grass. Cool

I could do it with her if I had a trailer.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/i4kfaq.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 08:12 pm
@jcboy,
I've no idea if that is normal. Maybe it is..
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 01:19 pm
That tortoise probably won’t survive through the day. She’s egg bound and won’t lay them and there is nothing the Vet can do.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 01:34 pm
@MMarciano,
That's sad news.
MMarciano

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 01:51 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah it is. She’s been grunting all day but she won’t dig to lay the eggs, she’s in pain.

We even dug her a hole, placed her in it and she attempted to try to lay them but she can’t. Not much you can do, you can’t force her, she goes into shell and she’s so strong you can’t get her to come out.
Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 01:53 pm
@MMarciano,
Here's hoping for the best for all concerned.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 01:57 pm
@MMarciano,
http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/egg-laying-sulcata-tortoises.cfm

Quote:
Egg laying in our group of Sulcata’s usually takes place from early February to late April each year, with three or four Egg Clutches separated by 30 to 35 days. For nesting material, we provide a 5 cubic yard mound of dirt for the tortoises to lay their eggs directly on the ground. Providing an “above ground” hill or mound of soft dirt to nest in makes locating nesting sites and egg recovery much easier,

Quote:
When it comes time for egg laying, the female tortoise searches for the perfect spot. Before we created the “Perfect Spot” with the dirt pile, it took our females days to find suitable nesting locations. Female Sulcata Tortoises also like to dig numerous “Test Holes” before they choose to deposit their eggs. I am never caught off guard by an egg-laying tortoise because her habitat looks like artillery shells bombed it, with holes everywhere dug over the course of many days. Sulcata Tortoises, dig their nests deep. First they dig out a large hole about two feet deep. Then they dig out a smaller “Egg Chamber” at the bottom of the larger hole. If you miss the female covering up the nesting site, it is almost impossible to locate the eggs.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 02:16 pm
@MMarciano,
So, Henry became Henriette?
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 03:06 pm
Yep Henry is a female.

Perhaps she’s not ready, who knows! Not sure what is going on with that animal.

I can tell she’s in pain by the grunting noises but she’s still strong so that’s a good sign. And just now she started to eat again.

I just hope she hurry’s up and lays those eggs before Morgan takes her to the maternity ward at Cedars Sinai Medical Center! He’s a nervous wreck like an expecting father!

http://oi62.tinypic.com/65r9zo.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 03:50 pm
@MMarciano,
Cedars is a great hospital but... I dunno if they're up to the challenge. ; )

Only half kidding, though, about calling some expert for advice. I'd suggest the LA zoo but I don't know about their present staff. But, the San Diego zoo is well regarded and .. tada, so is the Monterey Aquarium. I think I'd call them or email them first of those. Plus listen to ehBeth, re the mound..

Hmmm, Scripp's oceanography.. is fairly close to you. I was interviewed for a job there once, long time ago, decided I didn't want to work on diatoms.. but they probably know their business. Don't have any idea re if sulcatas are in their line of interest (or Monterey Aquarium's), got to do some googling.

I bring this up because some years ago I was worried about one of my clients keeping a certain beautiful but poisonous plant right by the swimming pool, and I called them first or just sent a letter with a thermos of pool water and the plant's detritis, and they relieved me of worry.. they did have experts there who would answer a question. Naturally, I don't know about these places I mentioned above, but, you never know.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:19 pm
@ossobuco,
late edit - I see they are more arid climate tortoises - so, maybe the SD zoo before the Monterey Aquarium.
jcboy

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I've been a nervous wreck over that animal, now she's sleeping. I have no idea how long it takes before she decides to lay those eggs. She is in the side yard away from the dogs, I thought she was waiting to make sure the dogs were not anywhere around before she made her nest. We will see!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 05:11 pm
<having a flashback to 'our' pregnant horse>

http://able2know.org/topic/134242-1
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 05:26 pm
@jcboy,
Well, you might want to call the San Diego zoo, they're experts there
http://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/turtle-tortoise

Also there is a turtle society outside of San Diego
http://www.sdturtle.org/
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 05:40 pm
@ossobuco,
er, the people I called /wrote about the poisonous plant - whom I failed to mention, were at the Los Angeles Arboretum.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 05:49 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes to that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 05:56 pm
@ehBeth,
<I miss her>
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 07:52 pm
Still no eggs and no digging, but she ate good today, more then she’s eaten in a while, half a can of pure pumpkin.

If she’s eating that’s always a good sign, she’s still strong as a little pony and that's a plus!
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 08:05 pm
@jcboy,
Maybe she was just upset that Harry is gone. It's been her companion for
such a long time, she is bound to be upset over this.