jcboy

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 08:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
The Vet said she's carrying eggs, at least 12 the size of ping pong balls, they may not be fertile but she's carrying them and she has to lay the eggs or or it could kill her Sad
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 08:25 pm
@CalamityJane,
Did you try the mound thing that ehBeth mentioned from her source?
jcboy

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 08:31 pm
@ossobuco,
We've tried everything, nothing so far. All she does is walk back and forth, stops, sleeps then gets up and paces back and forth. She has plenty of room to walk around and dig, she just won't.

Maybe she's just not ready, I don't think even the Vets know that much about those types of Tortoises, they just guess.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 08:36 pm
@jcboy,
but, as I read it, the mound is the opposite of digging. That was probably a few pages back.

The only turtle births I've been through were already done by Sally in her pieplate dish, if I remember. Much different situation.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 09:06 pm
@jcboy,
Did you check out the forums at tigerhomes (where I got the info about preparing her a mound)?

They seem to have/had a lot of sulcatas laying lots of eggs every year. Interesting forums.
jcboy

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 05:31 pm
@ehBeth,
I haven't had a chance to yet Beth, been so busy the last several days but will get to it tonight, thank you for posting the links!

So didn't eat today, but she's still strong and moves around quite a bit.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 07:16 pm
@ehBeth,
Looks like I’ll have to make a trip to Home Depot to pick up some bags of dirt. Six of them should do.

That site says from early February to late April so maybe it’s just a little too early for her. Anyway I’ll pick up the dirt tomorrow and make a mound for her!
jcboy

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 07:18 pm
@CalamityJane,
I did talk to the Tortoise farm that took Harry, they said turn her loose in the yard and let her roam around until she finds the right spot then she will start laying.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 07:22 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
That site says from early February to late April so maybe it’s just a little too early for her.

that's why I mentioned the pregnant horse

the thread started in July when the poster thought her horse was in labour

I think she ended up having JJ the mule in January Smile

I think that's when we all found out how much David likes animals.

Hopefully you and Henry don't have as long a wait.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 08:08 pm
@jcboy,
Call the paramedics! Very Happy
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 08:33 pm
Just stopped in for a tortoise update. She has dug four holes and I believe she has found the right one, considering her size this is a pretty deep hole. She’s been in the nest all day. If she lays the eggs we have to dig them up and place them in an incubator until they hatch, that is if they hatch and that could take over 90 days.

Then we will have to keep them until they’re at least six months old before we send the off to the tortoise farm.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/23m1us6.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 08:34 pm
Good deal.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 08:38 pm
@jcboy,
When you parent, you do it up big.

Gotta love ya.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:12 am
@jcboy,
Marco’s a nurse, have him give that animal an epidural Very Happy
0 Replies

Keith424

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 02:34 pm
@jcboy,
Miss you Peanut.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 01:30 pm
News??!

Tortoises? Kid? Parenting in a big way!
MMarciano

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 05:07 pm
@margo,
Margo that animal has yet to lay those eggs. She’s dug the hole three feet deep and still no eggs. She comes out of it everyday to feed then back in at night. Could be anytime and they only way we will know is if we see she is filling the hole in and burying them.
margo

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 03:52 am
@MMarciano,
Thanks
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 05:22 am
@jcboy,
So you'll be grandparents?
MMarciano

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 07:51 pm
@jespah,
Pretty soon.

My thoughts are she is waiting to lay the eggs because of the dogs. Now the dogs can’t get to the side of the house where her nest is but she can hear them and she knows they’re around.

Once she is secure and knows they’re not in her territory, she’s ready.