the Declaration of Independence didn’t declare that we had the right to life, liberty...?

oristarA

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 08:32 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

A horse collar is not older than the clock... But as you may recognize, geared clocks are relatively new, but have the terminolgy of their parts from older water clocks....

A lord in a possition to defy his lord had to pay him no fee for the grant of land, his fife.... We still use many of these terms in real estate law...

What we consider an endangered right to bear arms used to be the obligation of every free male... If you could not defend yourself you could not defend your city, and were never welcomed...

People had the grind (mill) stone, but it was worked on a totally different premise in most places... Rome used a stone that was turned by hand or mule power, but most were two flat stones with the top having a post or handle which was used to rock the stone rather than turn it... Circular motion is apparently foreign to people, though we now learn it early on... Even now it represents a sort of mile stone for children, when they learn to peddle a bike; and some say that is the soonest you can toilet train, as well, since it represents a certain level of abstract thinking uncommon in the very young....

There are no books, so far as I am aware, on the historical meaning of the black death... Look at a time line, and consider the upheaval it cost across Europe, and its affect on wages for workers and feudalism in general, and its relation in time to the Renaissance, and to the discovery of the America's... It deserves a book, but I have never heard of anyone connecting the dots as I have... Today, wars do the same thing by making more resources available to science and individuals alike... It kills a few but helps all the rest to a momentary sort of happiness...

It's too off topic-ed.
Just give me the definition of "fife", because I cannot find it in my dict.

oristarA

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 08:33 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

A horse collar is not older than the clock... But as you may recognize, geared clocks are relatively new, but have the terminolgy of their parts from older water clocks....

A lord in a possition to defy his lord had to pay him no fee for the grant of land, his fife.... We still use many of these terms in real estate law...

What we consider an endangered right to bear arms used to be the obligation of every free male... If you could not defend yourself you could not defend your city, and were never welcomed...

People had the grind (mill) stone, but it was worked on a totally different premise in most places... Rome used a stone that was turned by hand or mule power, but most were two flat stones with the top having a post or handle which was used to rock the stone rather than turn it... Circular motion is apparently foreign to people, though we now learn it early on... Even now it represents a sort of mile stone for children, when they learn to peddle a bike; and some say that is the soonest you can toilet train, as well, since it represents a certain level of abstract thinking uncommon in the very young....

There are no books, so far as I am aware, on the historical meaning of the black death... Look at a time line, and consider the upheaval it cost across Europe, and its affect on wages for workers and feudalism in general, and its relation in time to the Renaissance, and to the discovery of the America's... It deserves a book, but I have never heard of anyone connecting the dots as I have... Today, wars do the same thing by making more resources available to science and individuals alike... It kills a few but helps all the rest to a momentary sort of happiness...

It's too off topic-ed.
Just give me the definition of "fife", because I cannot find it in my dict.

Thanks

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 08:33 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Hi OristarA, your question is very simple. I don't understand why people here are being so difficult.

The real phrase (as you know) is "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". The implication is that the writer agrees with this version.

The writer changed it to "life, liberty and the all expense paid pursuit of happiness." He does this to make the comparison with the original. His point is that the Declaration of Independence doesn't promise that (the government) will pay for people's happiness.

Simplicity is the best
Thank you.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 09:40 am
@Fido,
Fido,

Our friend OristarA is simply trying to understand what the passage is saying. Obviously the writer has a point of view he is expressing, and I get that you disagree with it (and in truth, I disagree with it as well).

But OristarA is simply trying to understand the passage. That's it.
Fido

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 10:33 am
@oristarA,
excuse my terrible spelling that is only exceeded by my terrible typing... Fief... Land held in fee...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 10:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Fido,

Our friend OristarA is simply trying to understand what the passage is saying. Obviously the writer has a point of view he is expressing, and I get that you disagree with it (and in truth, I disagree with it as well).

But OristarA is simply trying to understand the passage. That's it.

I must be the reason I am such a slow learner, that to understand anything is to find its context...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 10:57 am
@oristarA,
Green Witch wrote:
Pssst Fido, the poster is studying english and asking for a simple clarification of a confusing editorial statement.
It's not meant to be a political rant thread.
oristarA wrote:
It seems proper to make it one.

Fido is showing me how to use Engish in reality. Very Happy
Fido 's mind is infused with multiple confusions
and chaotic twists of errors.
It is not wise to adopt HIM as your teacher.

David
oristarA

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 09:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Green Witch wrote:
Pssst Fido, the poster is studying english and asking for a simple clarification of a confusing editorial statement.
It's not meant to be a political rant thread.
oristarA wrote:
It seems proper to make it one.

Fido is showing me how to use Engish in reality. Very Happy
Fido 's mind is infused with multiple confusions
and chaotic twists of errors.
It is not wise to adopt HIM as your teacher.

David

Thank you for reminding me of that.

But I'd welcome him for joining the discussion. He would not serve as the role of a teacher though.

0 Replies