Monitoring blood pressure at home

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 06:23 pm
Hello!
For anyone who has used a digital blood pressure monitor at home-- have you found it to be fairly accurate? That is, accurate enough to be able to rely on it?
Thanks for any input.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 639 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:28 pm
Yes, i use a cuff and I had it checked against a classic Hg Sphygnomanometer. It is amazingly accurate. I take BP meds and Im on a new kind of therapy wherein they prescribe teeny doses of a number of types. I take 4 drugs in very small doses since its been published that certain essential hypertension reacts to a beta blocker early in the day, a K diuretic in midday and an ACE in hibitor in the PM. therefore i take my BP gizmo with me every where and check my bP at various times of day against things like stress, exercise etc. I did have one of the BP watches, that thing was a big POS, and it looked like some watch that youd get out of a cereal box

i know this is more than you asked , but I had the very same questions when I bought my first one. There is a problem, they dont last longer than about two yeaqrs max. and they arent worth repairing .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:00 pm
My husband has been using a personal blood pressure checker for several years, comparing accuracy with the drugstore machine and the portable Visiting Nurse Unit. It is accurate.

He uses his on a very irregular basis, so it hasn't worn out yet.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:02 pm
I used a digital blood pressure monitor at home for about 5 years. I believe it was relatively accurate. My readings matched up with my doctor's readings.
As famerman says, after a time it does tend to wear out. Because I completely changed my lifestyle, I no longer need BP meds and only do BP readings on a monthly basis, as a precautionary measure.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 09:24 pm
colorbook, Id like to hear about your lifestyle changes and effect on lowering BP> I asked my physician about things like TM, stress management etc. I think he is unwilling to accept anything but medication. i got a second opinion and the physiciana at the heart Group, in Lancaster said that they had some good results with TM and stress management . im kind of a hypochondriac so Im always magnifying minor pains and this has been some of my problem, I think.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 10:23 pm
First of all this worked for me, however, it may not work for everyone. At the top of my list, I quit smoking (25 years worth). Secondly, I really didn't want to be on PB meds all my life. My doctor at the time told me that unless I changed my lifestyle, that would be the case. I was very very determined. I switched doctors. I began an exercise regimen that included a cardio work out on a stationary bike for a half an hour a day everyday. I then added free weights at different pounds and different repetitions every other day. I didn't really change my eating habits and I wasn't much overweight. It seemed after a year or so, my readings became lower and lower. My doctor suggested I start cutting my pills in half. I continued to do this for about three months, then I started cutting my pills in quarters. When it came time to quit the pills completely, my BP readings went back up. So, I continued to take a quarter of a pill for about 3 months. I tried unsuccessfully for a year. Than I lost my job. I guess this was a stress factor for sure. I quit the PB meds in May and my BP readings have remained within normal range ever since.
0 Replies