[b]harvested [/b]from the inner ears of patients with hearing loss

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:14 am
Harvested through autopsy?

Context:
Dr. Jeffrey Holt, associate professor of neuroscience and otolaryngology at UVa, and his research team, including Dr. Bradley Kesser, an assistant professor of otolaryngology, targeted a gene known as KCNQ4, which causes genetic hearing loss in humans when mutated. They engineered a correct form of the gene and created a gene therapy delivery system that successfully transferred the KCNQ4 gene into human hair cells harvested from the inner ears of patients with hearing loss.

More:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614082041.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 782 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:44 am
@oristarA,
It's not completely clear from the context. "Harvested" here means basically the same as "extracted." It seems unlikely that the human hair cells would be removed from a live person (who could hear), so it's more likely that the human hair cells came from a dead body. But not definitely.
oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:46 am
@sozobe,
That's exactly what I guessed.
Thank you.

Let's wait, of course.
parados

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:50 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

. They engineered a correct form of the gene and created a gene therapy delivery system that successfully transferred the KCNQ4 gene into human hair cells harvested from the inner ears of patients with hearing loss.

Harvested just means collected.

Because they are patients, it doesn't sound like they are dead. It is only hair after all. Hair could be harvested from your head when you go see a barber.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:52 am
@oristarA,
Wait I misread something:

Quote:
and created a gene therapy delivery system that successfully transferred the KCNQ4 gene into human hair cells harvested from the inner ears of patients with hearing loss.

They do currently have hearing loss, so it's more possible that the hairs were taken from live people. Lemme look at that link and see if I can figure it out...
sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:54 am
@sozobe,
Yeah, it looks more like they're talking about taking hair cells from live people with hearing loss, and then "fixing" them with gene therapy.
0 Replies