it will also attract opportunists drawn to the money on offer?

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 08:37 am

Why not drop the word "drawn" there? I mean, that you "attract the opportuists to the money" is sufficient to convey what you want to express. What use does "drawn" have?

Context:

The Kremlin’s apparently sincere efforts to refurbish the Russian
science base will soon be put to the test. A new 12-billion-rou-
Tble (US$390-million) programme, which aims to attract high-
profile scientists to Russian universities (see Nature 465, 858; 2010),
is to announce which projects have secured funds.
The competition, launched in July, is a unique opportunity to get
Russia back on the global map of science — but it will also attract
opportunists drawn to the money on offer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 783 • Replies: 12
No top replies

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:21 am
@oristarA,
Scientists certainly could be drawn to the idea for many more reasons than the money, Ori.
Ceili

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:28 am
@oristarA,
The competition will attract opportunists to money.
Like bees to honey
Like flies to sugar
Like moths to a flame
It's irresistible.

oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 07:38 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Scientists certainly could be drawn to the idea for many more reasons than the money, Ori.

True. But in this case, it's opportunists, not scientists. JTT.
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 07:41 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

The competition will attract opportunists to money.
Like bees to honey
Like flies to sugar
Like moths to a flame
It's irresistible.

That's it. Thank you.

The structure of "The competition will attract opportunists to money" is perfect. Adding the word "drawn" after the "opportunists" would be awkward, which is the question remained unsolved here.

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:22 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:

I don't think so, Ori. It's scientists, some of whom will be genuinely interested in the opportunity to study in their field but some scientists will not be genuine, their first interest will be to get a healthy salary.
Ceili

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:48 pm
@oristarA,
I think I mislead you and I didn't mean to...
The idea of being drawn to something is baser than just attraction. You may be attracted to girls but you are drawn to your soul mate. In this case, many people are attracted to the competition for various reasons, some however, will be drawn by the money, like ducks to water. They will be unable to resist their attraction, they are compelled to enter, like contestants on Singing shows like American Idol, not all of them can sing, but they all can see them selves as stars.
dadpad

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:00 pm
@oristarA,
The structure of "The competition will attract opportunists to THE money" is perfect. Adding the word "drawn" after the "opportunists" would be awkward, which is the question remain[ed}ing unsolved here.

Drawn: V.v. drew (dr), drawn (drôn), draw·ing, draws,
vt

a. To cause to move after or toward one by applying continuous force; drag: drew the chair closer to the table; a team of horses drawing a wagon.
b. To cause to move in a given direction or to a given position, as by leading: The teacher drew the children into the room to see the decorations.
c. To move or pull so as to cover or uncover something: draw the curtains.
2. To cause to flow forth: a pump drawing water; a blow that drew blood.
3. To suck or take in (air, for example); inhale.
4. To require (a specified depth of water) for floating: a boat drawing 18 inches.
5. To take or pull out: drew a gun from beneath the counter; drew out a fat wallet.
a. To extract or take for one's own use: draw strength from one's friends.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/draw
Many more meanings ans usages for "drawn" are listed.
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 11:56 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

I don't think so, Ori. It's scientists, some of whom will be genuinely interested in the opportunity to study in their field but some scientists will not be genuine, their first interest will be to get a healthy salary.

It makes sense.

Thanks.

oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 12:01 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I think I mislead you and I didn't mean to...
The idea of being drawn to something is baser than just attraction. You may be attracted to girls but you are drawn to your soul mate. In this case, many people are attracted to the competition for various reasons, some however, will be drawn by the money, like ducks to water. They will be unable to resist their attraction, they are compelled to enter, like contestants on Singing shows like American Idol, not all of them can sing, but they all can see them selves as stars.

Thanks.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 12:03 am
@dadpad,
Thank you.

It is crystal clear now.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 01:32 pm
@oristarA,
Remember that I said, "I don't think so", Ori.

I can't state categorically that my contention is right but because there was no other mention of people other than scientists being invited, no other mention of any other way to get some of that money without being a scientist, I assume that it only meant scientists.
oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 08:31 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Remember that I said, "I don't think so", Ori.

I can't state categorically that my contention is right but because there was no other mention of people other than scientists being invited, no other mention of any other way to get some of that money without being a scientist, I assume that it only meant scientists.

Good reasoning.

0 Replies